4 (2.7%)
Someone else but not Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd
35 (23.6%)
Kara Lawson
12 (8.1%)
Rondo
8 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Who's the New coach!  (Read 68925 times)

Re: Who's the New coach!
« Reply #480 on: June 20, 2021, 10:54:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
None are my first pick ,  I guess I’d go with Udoka ,  I can see him and Brad getting along .

Udoka is the obvious choice, as he'd bring Nia Long.

Who is Billups or Ham going to bring?

Priorities people.
Safe to count you in the "don't trade TT" group based on the the Khloe factor?   ;)

He did not bring her…..trade him!!
then he definitely won't bring her

« Reply #481 on: June 20, 2021, 10:55:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the Hawks win a title, does Lloyd Pierce get a ring?

Three months ago, we were talking seriously about Atlanta blowing it up. 

I know Pierce has been mentioned for open jobs, but to me he’s toxic as a head coach right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #482 on: June 20, 2021, 10:58:39 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
If the Hawks win a title, does Lloyd Pierce get a ring?

Three months ago, we were talking seriously about Atlanta blowing it up. 

I know Pierce has been mentioned for open jobs, but to me he’s toxic as a head coach right now.

I don’t think Pierce can be a serious candidate anywhere this year.  His best bet is to go into broadcasting and provide intelligent commentary to revive his reputation.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:20:30 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #483 on: June 20, 2021, 11:48:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If not Billups, I would frankly take a shot with Kara Lawson.  She just seems to command presence.  I think she will hold guys accountable, and not be afraid to speak the truth to players, including stars.

What presence did she command?  The one player we know that she worked closely with, Marcus Smart, shot worse across the board with her mentoring him.  What accountability was there?  What truth did she speak?

I’m speculating based upon interviews I’ve read. Didn’t k ow she was Smart’s shooting coach last year. Had career foul shooting percentage. His eFGA was above career average so not sure your point on that. Besides a head coach is not a shooting coach. Ask Red Auerbach. Or Pop. Or Phil Jackson.

« Reply #484 on: June 21, 2021, 01:27:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t know why Nate McMillan still has the interim tag for the Hawks, but if he still has it whenever their season ends, the Celtics should back up the proverbial Brinks truck for him.  I thought the Pacers were idiots to get rid of him last offseason, and his job with the Hawks (not to mention the Pacers’ failed season) bears that out.
Would be very interested to see him run a wing-oriented offence. As far as I can remember he’s had ball-dominant guards. Like what he’s done with Huerter and Gallo though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #485 on: June 21, 2021, 08:48:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What presence did she command?  The one player we know that she worked closely with, Marcus Smart, shot worse across the board with her mentoring him.  What accountability was there?  What truth did she speak?

I recall after summer league when Carsen was real hot that she said she was going to tweak his shot and he has not shot well since.  My son, wife and I recall that anyone else?

« Reply #486 on: June 21, 2021, 10:14:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I believe that a coach will be named this week
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #487 on: June 21, 2021, 11:01:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If not Billups, I would frankly take a shot with Kara Lawson.  She just seems to command presence.  I think she will hold guys accountable, and not be afraid to speak the truth to players, including stars.

I’m speculating based upon interviews I’ve read. Didn’t k ow she was Smart’s shooting coach last year. Had career foul shooting percentage. His eFGA was above career average so not sure your point on that. Besides a head coach is not a shooting coach. Ask Red Auerbach. Or Pop. Or Phil Jackson.

Why are you looking at his career averages?

Compared to the year prior, his 2P%, 3P%, FG%, TS% and eFG% were all down.

Then she left, and his  2P%, FG%, TS% and eFG% all went up again.

And no, a head coach is not a shooting coach.  But, when it is your only NBA experience, and you are unsuccessful at it the one year you do the job, it doesn’t make you qualified to then become a head coach.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #488 on: June 21, 2021, 01:09:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Why are you looking at his career averages?

Compared to the year prior, his 2P%, 3P%, FG%, TS% and eFG% were all down.

Then she left, and his  2P%, FG%, TS% and eFG% all went up again.

And no, a head coach is not a shooting coach.  But, when it is your only NBA experience, and you are unsuccessful at it the one year you do the job, it doesn’t make you qualified to then become a head coach.

Do you honestly think anyone can help Smart shoot better at this stage of his career?

His jump shot is not broken....   its probably more of a mental state/issue

Lawson inability to help improve Smart as a shooter.....  not really fair assessment that she is a good coach or not

On the flipside, you can say with her as an assistant coach the Celtics were a much better team.

Not sayin it can be isolated to just her as the one factor....but maybe she really helped "keep" the team together.  Something Brad failed to do
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:21:16 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #489 on: June 21, 2021, 01:20:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
With Billups and Hammons up for their 2nd interview with the Blazers

I wonder if either Brad is not going to hire Billups OR he is waiting for Billups to make a decision?  Same for Udoka or Ham.   

IF he is lukewarm on all of these guys,  perhaps also waiting to see if Lawson will change her mind/make a decision.  Or they go with Larranaga and give him the interim title

« Reply #490 on: June 21, 2021, 02:47:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I wonder if either Brad is not going to hire Billups OR he is waiting for Billups to make a decision?  Same for Udoka or Ham.   

IF he is lukewarm on all of these guys,  perhaps also waiting to see if Lawson will change her mind/make a decision.  Or they go with Larranaga and give him the interim title

We are in the process of scheduling second interview is with Billups, Ham and Udoka.  I can’t imagine that we are hiring anybody until those interviews are done.

What decision are the Celtics waiting on from Lawson? They haven’t offered her an interview, and Danny suggested that her lack of coaching experience excludes her. She’s not a candidate, for a good reason.

« Reply #491 on: June 21, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm expecting Udoka or Ham at this point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2021, 03:07:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

We are in the process of scheduling second interview is with Billups, Ham and Udoka.  I can’t imagine that we are hiring anybody until those interviews are done.

What decision are the Celtics waiting on from Lawson? They haven’t offered her an interview, and Danny suggested that her lack of coaching experience excludes her. She’s not a candidate, for a good reason.

I know Danny said that...but he is not running the show anymore 

We also don't know if Brad has reached out to Lawson.  No need for either to disclose this to the public.   Which could jeopardize her job/standing with Duke

Your right...  we don't know if the 2nd interviews have been completed or still in progress. 

« Reply #493 on: June 21, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

As am I.  Udoka has a lot of compelling experience with star players.  I don’t know a lot about the techniques of either guy, but they both have been around the game for a long time.

« Reply #494 on: June 21, 2021, 03:11:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I don't know enough about Ham

but Udoka is a guy I like. 

The tough part is that he has been only an assistant.  Zero head coaching experience at any level

I would give Billups a leg up. Because he led the 2004 Pistons to a championship.   He was one of the key players for that team