4 (2.7%)
Someone else but not Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd
35 (23.6%)
Kara Lawson
12 (8.1%)
Rondo
8 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Who's the New coach!  (Read 68958 times)

Re: Who's the New coach!
« Reply #435 on: June 17, 2021, 09:21:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
about 7 NBA HC jobs out there...there is no way Becky Hammon doesn’t get one of them. If she does not take an offer it means San Antonio has her locked up.

Not gonna lie. I want her on the Celtics real bad . . . but I kinda, for the sake of basketball lore, want her to stay in SA and take over from Pop.

It'd just be too perfect and fitting for SA.

Don’t you wish these decisions could be just basketball decisions?

There you go again. Assuming it's not for basketball reasons. Stop it man. Seriously. You're so off base.

What is the basketball decision keeping Hammon as an assistant coach past this off-season.

Some of the fired coaches were fired for non-basketball reasons. Carlisle for one.

Alright, you're gonna have to define "basketball decision" for me. I don't think I know what you mean by that.

Just x and os
There’s much more to professional coaching in any sport than “just X’s and O’s“

Well, don’t you wish there wasn’t?
It’s irrelevant, it’s never just been about X’s and O’s. Being able to connect with players is crucially important, among many other reasons

I put that all under X and Os.......because if the players aren’t responding your X and Os won’t work.

« Reply #436 on: June 17, 2021, 09:23:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I like Rick Carlisle ,  but ,  I’m afraid he is too old school for today’s thin skinned stars . 

« Reply #437 on: June 17, 2021, 09:24:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
about 7 NBA HC jobs out there...there is no way Becky Hammon doesn’t get one of them. If she does not take an offer it means San Antonio has her locked up.

Not gonna lie. I want her on the Celtics real bad . . . but I kinda, for the sake of basketball lore, want her to stay in SA and take over from Pop.

There you go again. Assuming it's not for basketball reasons. Stop it man. Seriously. You're so off base.

What is the basketball decision keeping Hammon as an assistant coach past this off-season.

Some of the fired coaches were fired for non-basketball reasons. Carlisle for one.

Alright, you're gonna have to define "basketball decision" for me. I don't think I know what you mean by that.

Just x and os

Then I don't understand your question. "What's x's and o's about keeping Hammon as an assistant under Pop"?

Well, maybe they do that because Pop's still better and they think Becky is second best?

What's not 'basketball reasons' about that??

I really struggle to see your point.

What I meant is that she should get her own team if we are just dealing with X and Os. She only sits under Popovich if she doesn’t get a HC gig.

Do you consider yourself a fan of a team? Any team in general?

I'm assuming you're a bandwagon fan then. You know. Since all you care about is basketball reasons.

Or does this only apply to what you want to see happen in the league?

If not, your application of "basketball reasons" seems whimsical at best, or "only if it benefits me" at worst.

lol I am a Celtic fan...Is there anyone here that isn’t?

Well, it's not for x's and o's, is it?

I thought you wished everything was because of basketball reasons?

I was referring to the hiring of personnel.

« Reply #438 on: June 17, 2021, 09:30:19 PM »

Kiorrik

Just x and os

Then I don't understand your question. "What's x's and o's about keeping Hammon as an assistant under Pop"?

Well, maybe they do that because Pop's still better and they think Becky is second best?

What I meant is that she should get her own team if we are just dealing with X and Os. She only sits under Popovich if she doesn’t get a HC gig.

I'm assuming you're a bandwagon fan then. You know. Since all you care about is basketball reasons.

If not, your application of "basketball reasons" seems whimsical at best, or "only if it benefits me" at worst.

So then what's the argument against the Spurs keeping her so they can put her as a lead later? I don't see how that's not X's and O's.

« Reply #439 on: June 17, 2021, 09:37:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Just x and os

So then what's the argument against the Spurs keeping her so they can put her as a lead later? I don't see how that's not X's and O's.

Nothing against the Spurs at all. It is smart basketball decision for them to keep her. My point is if it was strictly X and O, she should get one of the 7 open positions and would not have to be an assistant anymore.

« Reply #440 on: June 17, 2021, 09:53:32 PM »

Kiorrik

Nothing against the Spurs at all. It is smart basketball decision for them to keep her. My point is if it was strictly X and O, she should get one of the 7 open positions and would not have to be an assistant anymore.

Right. Well. I still think you're trying to present your opinion as something more-than-that. Because that's now that "x's and o's" or "basketball reasons" means.

« Reply #441 on: June 17, 2021, 10:04:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Just x and os

My guess is that if she chooses to interview for those positions, she'll land one.

But, she may decide to stay put if Pop has made her a promise about his retirement, etc.  Of course, those "heir to the throne" things don't always work out as intended.  Sometimes the monarch is a bit more reluctant to give up the crown than anticipated.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #442 on: June 17, 2021, 10:13:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
  Of course, those "heir to the throne" things don't always work out as intended.  Sometimes the monarch is a bit more reluctant to give up the crown than anticipated.
And sometimes it is better to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the King (Pop). Or even the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the king.

Hard to live up to a legend. Oftentimes the only way is down. Better to let someone else take the fall. Then replace them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 10:24:44 PM by Who »

« Reply #443 on: June 17, 2021, 10:19:43 PM »

Kiorrik

Of course, those "heir to the throne" things don't always work out as intended.  Sometimes the monarch is a bit more reluctant to give up the crown than anticipated.
And sometimes it is better to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the King (Pop). Or even the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the king.

Hard to live up to a legend. Oftentimes the only is down. Better to let someone else take the fall. Then replace them.

Haha - and sometimes you go from Dirk to Luca Luka.

Still can't believe how lucky Cuban got there.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 10:39:02 PM by Kiorrik »

« Reply #444 on: June 17, 2021, 10:35:09 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Hard to live up to a legend. Oftentimes the only way is down. Better to let someone else take the fall. Then replace them.

Right.

« Reply #445 on: June 18, 2021, 12:21:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
iF Sixers loose series  :o :o :o :angel: :angel: :angel:

Will. Brad hire his friend Doc Rivers …..after Doc is fired  ;D

« Reply #446 on: June 18, 2021, 12:27:11 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
iF Sixers loose series  :o :o :o :angel: :angel: :angel:

Will. Brad hire his friend Doc Rivers …..after Doc is fired  ;D

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I've never like Doc as a coach and don't give me the 2008 title!  Anyone could have won with that team, heck, even Pitino and ML Carr!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #447 on: June 18, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Scal Just said that he's been trying to stay out of the coaching talk, but said Lawson was the quietest and nothing was coming out of the Duke side, especially them denying that she's could be taking the job. I'm on the Cassel or Lawson train, Hammon would be great too, but I can't see her leaving SA and should be their replacement for POP. But the Horford move was a bit surprising before hiring a coach.

« Reply #448 on: June 18, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Adrian Wojnarowski: Brooklyn’s Ime Udoka, Milwaukee’s Darvin Ham and Clippers’ Chauncey Billups are among head coaching candidates who Boston hopes to interview for a second time, sources tell ESPN. Celtics’ search continues to focus in the assistant ranks.

I’m not super excited about rolling the dice on a first time head coach. Would rather go with someone who is established and has won in the playoffs. Carlisle or D’Antoni sound good to me with one of Billups, Cassell, Udoka as assistants. They can take over in a few years.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #449 on: June 18, 2021, 03:16:49 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I have a good feeling about Chauncey.