Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2021  (Read 314115 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2021
« Reply #2730 on: June 23, 2021, 04:14:27 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I'll take a longer game if the calls are correct, than a shorter one where the Refs blow it...I also think if a team Wins a challenge, they should get another challenge--a lot of coaches don't wanna waste their ONLY challenge too early.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2731 on: June 23, 2021, 04:16:44 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
The last two minutes or so, of last night’s game, was ridiculous.
1.   The referees bought the bad acting from Patrick Beverly, when Booker drove past him. There was no foul call on the court, but Beverly went down to the ground, like he took a baseball bat to the face, and stayed on the ground. I think they ended up calling a flagrant one.
2.   I don’t remember the exact number, but it seemed like there were replays every other time down the court.
3.   With under two minutes left in the game, it should be strictly the referees decision to go to replay. When Beverly hit the ball out of bounds when defending Booker, the referee right in front of the play, was ready to give it side out to Phoenix. However, Beverly made a scene about demanding a replay, and the referees caved.
4.   BTW, do we need an instant replay on how much time was remaining in the game, when Ayton dunked the ball on the inbounds pass, where there was only 0.9 seconds remaining? Isn’t it basically an unwritten rule that you need 0.3 seconds to get a shot off? So wouldn’t it make sense to just say 0.3 seconds came off, and there are only 0.6 left? Instead they used replay and put 0.7 seconds back on the clock.
5.   Then there was the blatant attempt by the Clippers to cheat on that last inbounds play. They were not allowed to substitute, but they were hoping the referees wouldn’t notice and let the guys they put on the court play. It was obvious the Clippers were trying to get away with it by playing dumb, which elongated the game even further. Part of me hopes, the league fines the Clippers for it.
1.  They called a offensive foul after replay not a flagrant one.  Beverly showed he was bleeding in his mouth so he definitely got hit.  Offensive foul was the correct call.  Good job by the refs. 
2. So what.  If replay is going to be used, it needs to be used whenever necessary. 
3.  So there's widespread bashing of the refs and you want whether to go to replay to be left up to the ref's decision.  If they are going to do replays, it needs to be done under a defined set of rules not at the subjectivity of individual refs.  The replay showed Booker was the last to touch the ball.  So another good job by the refs. 
4.  If there is not an approved written rule, then it is not a rule.  I haven't ever heard of a written rule that 3 seconds must come off the clock.  So assuming there isn't one, another good job by the refs. 
5.  The Suns also tried to substitute at least one player on the last play.  So both teams were guilty.  So another good job by the refs getting it corrected.

1. I can bite my lip as I'm typing this, and show someone that I'm bleeding. I wouldn't put it past Beverly to do something like that to sell a call.
2. The last two minutes of the game took 33 minutes to play. I don't think the competition committee would have ever approved replay with this in mind. The players want every play under review, if the call doesn't go their way. So after the coaches use up their challenges, the referees shouldn't be influenced every time a player starts waving their finger.
3.  I saw the Booker replay too. From the camera angles used, it was not definitive if Booker touched it last. From the angle from the bench, it looked like Beverly hit it last. From the other angle, it looked like it was Booker. I was questioning if the angle that looked like Booker touched it last, was an illusion. If replay can't clearly overturn the call, then the call on the court should stand.
4. I'm not going to look it up, but you need 0.3 seconds to put up a shot. The referees will not count any shot if there is only 0.2 seconds on the clock. Even the commentators mentioned this last night and were confused by what the referees called.
5. The Suns quickly made the correction when they were made aware. The Clippers wasted around 5 minutes and forced the referees to single out each player. Huge difference between how each team handled the situation.

The Trent Tucker (.3 seconds) rule only applies to jump shots. Tip-is and dunks are allowed with .2 or less on the clock.

« Reply #2732 on: June 23, 2021, 08:50:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I know they beat the Nets, but I didn't like how the Bucks performed in that series at all. They should win easily against the Hawks, but I think they're more pretenders than legit.

« Reply #2733 on: June 23, 2021, 09:14:33 PM »

Offline MICeltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 43
Young single handedly keeping the hawks around tonight. Impressive game so far.

But can someone please explain to me why the Bucks don’t just keep P&Ring him into oblivion on defense? His man keeps going and standing in the corner and letting him rest on D. Blows my mind.

« Reply #2734 on: June 23, 2021, 09:26:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Young vs Giannis and Holiday so far
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2735 on: June 23, 2021, 09:26:37 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Collins so clumsy
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2736 on: June 23, 2021, 10:05:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Come on everyone, keep downplaying Trey Young and the Hawks, it's really working out great for them so far.

I can't believe some people here really believe Giannis is a player who can lead a title team but Trey Young is not.

« Reply #2737 on: June 23, 2021, 10:10:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Come on everyone, keep downplaying Trey Young and the Hawks, it's really working out great for them so far.

I can't believe some people here really believe Giannis is a player who can lead a title team but Trey Young is not.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.

« Reply #2738 on: June 23, 2021, 10:14:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

No Bron or Cryre.

Feels so good

« Reply #2739 on: June 23, 2021, 10:24:50 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

The one thing this playoffs is showing is how the two players taken over Donnic are performing at a high level. Young and Ayton were often looked over because of Luka and now they are in the conference finals performing some big time moments while Luka is out in the first round again. I know context matters and it's not Luka's fault but it does feel good to see Ayton and Trae show why they are stars.

« Reply #2740 on: June 23, 2021, 10:38:20 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Giannis taking over down the stretch

« Reply #2741 on: June 23, 2021, 10:38:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707

The one thing this playoffs is showing is how the two players taken over Donnic are performing at a high level. Young and Ayton were often looked over because of Luka and now they are in the conference finals performing some big time moments while Luka is out in the first round again. I know context matters and it's not Luka's fault but it does feel good to see Ayton and Trae show why they are stars.

Yep! And you know Luka is watching these games and wondering what he has to do to get there. The new NBA generation is making their mark

« Reply #2742 on: June 23, 2021, 10:42:07 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Hawks literally can’t stop the PnR

« Reply #2743 on: June 23, 2021, 10:42:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If Budenholzer started doing his job he would attack Young every time down the court, much the same as we witnessed with IT, Kyrie and Kemba successively.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2744 on: June 23, 2021, 10:45:10 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
34 rebounds between Capella and Collins.
those dudes have stepped up on the boards.