Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2021  (Read 314109 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2021
« Reply #2715 on: June 23, 2021, 12:27:09 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think Booker has leaped ahead of Tatum and Brown

He is very very good.  And has two whatever stuck up his battered nose.  Pure sacrfice

He is spraying the ball around the floor ... making Clippers D work extra hard

Not even the top scorer tonight.  But his impact was immense. Impressive young man
He's certainly not. He's on the same level as them, but his weak defence brings him back, as does his below average 3 point shooting.

Booker>Brown
How? Booker is a better scorer inside the arc marginally, Brown is a significantly better 3 point shooter. Booker is the better playmaker and foul shooter / foul generator, Brown is the better defender and rebounder, and is less turnover prone. I'd value them basically identically - and Brown makes less money.

Ok, what about Brown vs Tatum?

« Reply #2716 on: June 23, 2021, 12:48:38 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Celtics make a ton of Bonehead plays and turnovers that I don't see The Suns do....or pretty much any other team...Tatum is Great to compensate for these things.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2717 on: June 23, 2021, 12:49:50 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

He is very very good.  And has two whatever stuck up his battered nose.  Pure sacrfice

Not even the top scorer tonight.  But his impact was immense. Impressive young man

Hopefully we get to see how good he is against Kawhi. I’d take Tatum over Booker everyday of the week. Jayson is bigger, stronger, a better shooter, just as good of a scorer, better rebounder, better defender. Can I stop now?   Brown is a toss up, though.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2718 on: June 23, 2021, 01:06:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Hopefully we get to see how good he is against Kawhi. I’d take Tatum over Booker everyday of the week. Jayson is bigger, stronger, a better shooter, just as good of a scorer, better rebounder, better defender. Can I stop now?   Brown is a toss up, though.

Those things are great for fantasy basketball or nba 2k rating

Which player makes their teammates better at the moment? Understands/executes when to lean on teammates vs needing to take over

You make it sound like Tatum has already arrived. 

Not sure if you're a modern fan as they call it. It is still considered a team sport

« Reply #2719 on: June 23, 2021, 01:39:44 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Which player makes their teammates better at the moment? Understands/executes when to lean on teammates vs needing to take over

Not sure if you're a modern fan as they call it. It is still considered a team sport

Did you forget about rookie Tatum and 2nd year Brown bringing the Celtics one win away from the Finals in the 2018 ECF, beating Giannis, Middleton, Embiid and Simmons on the way? They almost won against Lebron, Love and crew. That was not 2K was it?

They "arrived" further than Booker who's already in his 6th year. Oh, and Booker's lucky his team avoided AD, Murray and Kawhi too!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:50:30 AM by staticcc »
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #2720 on: June 23, 2021, 02:46:38 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Did you forget about rookie Tatum and 2nd year Brown bringing the Celtics one win away from the Finals in the 2018 ECF, beating Giannis, Middleton, Embiid and Simmons on the way? They almost won against Lebron, Love and crew. That was not 2K was it?

They "arrived" further than Booker who's already in his 6th year. Oh, and Booker's lucky his team avoided AD, Murray and Kawhi too!

Triboy likes to pretend the Jays have never had any success. Meanwhile this is Booker's first time in the playoffs. I like Book quite a bit but it's taken him 6 years and Chris Paul to get to the postseason.

Imagine if Tatum (4th year) and Brown (5th year) still had yet to make the playoffs?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2721 on: June 23, 2021, 03:11:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He's certainly not. He's on the same level as them, but his weak defence brings him back, as does his below average 3 point shooting.

And Tatum defense is magical?? Tatum could try harder. Take a charge etc

Booker mid range game is far ahead

He also plays with great pace like Brown. But unlike Brown plays with more control/better passer

Tatum and Brown are very good young players. But can learn a few things from a more mature Booker game.   

Maybe Monty and Paul unlocked something...

Celts next coach hopefully can do the same..
Tatum's defence is solid, Booker's defence is below average. Booker's shooting percentage fro 16 feet to the 3 point line is 2% better than Tatum and 5% worse than Brown. So no, his mid-range game is not "far ahead".

You're buying into the media hype to a severe extent. There's absolutely no way you'd be reacting this way if Tatum or Brown scored 20 on 5-16 with 5 assists and 4 rebounds. That's a pretty below average game for any of Tatum, Brown or Booker, yet you're posting as if he's the second coming.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2722 on: June 23, 2021, 05:10:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Again, you can’t go far in the playoffs when your two best offensive players are small guards. Portland has the same problem. Need wings in the post season. Kawhi, George, Batum, Morris, Mann... Team has so many switchable players.
I think it was hard for Utah to do something with a hobbled Conley.
And a hobbled Gobert in the second half.
what happened to Gobert
Took a hard fall in the first quarter, hurt his hip/tailbone (enough that he had scans after the game) but played through it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 05:25:25 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2723 on: June 23, 2021, 01:27:45 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The last two minutes or so, of last night’s game, was ridiculous.
1.   The referees bought the bad acting from Patrick Beverly, when Booker drove past him. There was no foul call on the court, but Beverly went down to the ground, like he took a baseball bat to the face, and stayed on the ground. I think they ended up calling a flagrant one.
2.   I don’t remember the exact number, but it seemed like there were replays every other time down the court.
3.   With under two minutes left in the game, it should be strictly the referees decision to go to replay. When Beverly hit the ball out of bounds when defending Booker, the referee right in front of the play, was ready to give it side out to Phoenix. However, Beverly made a scene about demanding a replay, and the referees caved.
4.   BTW, do we need an instant replay on how much time was remaining in the game, when Ayton dunked the ball on the inbounds pass, where there was only 0.9 seconds remaining? Isn’t it basically an unwritten rule that you need 0.3 seconds to get a shot off? So wouldn’t it make sense to just say 0.3 seconds came off, and there are only 0.6 left? Instead they used replay and put 0.7 seconds back on the clock.
5.   Then there was the blatant attempt by the Clippers to cheat on that last inbounds play. They were not allowed to substitute, but they were hoping the referees wouldn’t notice and let the guys they put on the court play. It was obvious the Clippers were trying to get away with it by playing dumb, which elongated the game even further. Part of me hopes, the league fines the Clippers for it.

« Reply #2724 on: June 23, 2021, 01:38:32 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
1.   The referees bought the bad acting from Patrick Beverly, when Booker drove past him. There was no foul call on the court, but Beverly went down to the ground, like he took a baseball bat to the face, and stayed on the ground. I think they ended up calling a flagrant one.

He got hit on the mouth and they called a regular foul, I'm fine with that since it was the correct call in the end.

« Reply #2725 on: June 23, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
3.   With under two minutes left in the game, it should be strictly the referees decision to go to replay. When Beverly hit the ball out of bounds when defending Booker, the referee right in front of the play, was ready to give it side out to Phoenix. However, Beverly made a scene about demanding a replay, and the referees caved.

They got the call right, though, so I guess nobody can really complain.  It's better than the JVG / Marc Jackson argument, which was basically that even though the ball last touched Booker, the Suns should have kept the ball.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2726 on: June 23, 2021, 02:03:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

And Tatum defense is magical?? Tatum could try harder. Take a charge etc

Booker mid range game is far ahead

He also plays with great pace like Brown. But unlike Brown plays with more control/better passer

Tatum and Brown are very good young players. But can learn a few things from a more mature Booker game.   

Maybe Monty and Paul unlocked something...

Celts next coach hopefully can do the same..
Tatum's defence is solid, Booker's defence is below average. Booker's shooting percentage fro 16 feet to the 3 point line is 2% better than Tatum and 5% worse than Brown. So no, his mid-range game is not "far ahead".

You're buying into the media hype to a severe extent. There's absolutely no way you'd be reacting this way if Tatum or Brown scored 20 on 5-16 with 5 assists and 4 rebounds. That's a pretty below average game for any of Tatum, Brown or Booker, yet you're posting as if he's the second coming.
I'd rate them Tatum, Booker, Brown in order.  It is much harder being a #1 offensive option.  Having the defense focus on you night in and night out just wears on you.  Even being the #1 option, Booker has basically been a more efficient scorer than Brown throughout their careers including this last year (though nominally).  Booker is a significantly better passer.  He has better advanced metrics on things like RAPTOR NET, WAR, on/off, etc. Booker is quite simply better and more valuable than Brown because his offense is just at a different level and offense is more important than defense.  Tatum though has both of them beat pretty handily.  He is just a different class of player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2727 on: June 23, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
2.   I don’t remember the exact number, but it seemed like there were replays every other time down the court.
3.   With under two minutes left in the game, it should be strictly the referees decision to go to replay. When Beverly hit the ball out of bounds when defending Booker, the referee right in front of the play, was ready to give it side out to Phoenix. However, Beverly made a scene about demanding a replay, and the referees caved.
4.   BTW, do we need an instant replay on how much time was remaining in the game, when Ayton dunked the ball on the inbounds pass, where there was only 0.9 seconds remaining? Isn’t it basically an unwritten rule that you need 0.3 seconds to get a shot off? So wouldn’t it make sense to just say 0.3 seconds came off, and there are only 0.6 left? Instead they used replay and put 0.7 seconds back on the clock.
5.   Then there was the blatant attempt by the Clippers to cheat on that last inbounds play. They were not allowed to substitute, but they were hoping the referees wouldn’t notice and let the guys they put on the court play. It was obvious the Clippers were trying to get away with it by playing dumb, which elongated the game even further. Part of me hopes, the league fines the Clippers for it.
1.  They called a offensive foul after replay not a flagrant one.  Beverly showed he was bleeding in his mouth so he definitely got hit.  Offensive foul was the correct call.  Good job by the refs. 
2. So what.  If replay is going to be used, it needs to be used whenever necessary. 
3.  So there's widespread bashing of the refs and you want whether to go to replay to be left up to the ref's decision.  If they are going to do replays, it needs to be done under a defined set of rules not at the subjectivity of individual refs.  The replay showed Booker was the last to touch the ball.  So another good job by the refs. 
4.  If there is not an approved written rule, then it is not a rule.  I haven't ever heard of a written rule that 3 seconds must come off the clock.  So assuming there isn't one, another good job by the refs. 
5.  The Suns also tried to substitute at least one player on the last play.  So both teams were guilty.  So another good job by the refs getting it corrected. 

« Reply #2728 on: June 23, 2021, 03:46:37 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

He got hit on the mouth and they called a regular foul, I'm fine with that since it was the correct call in the end.

I forgot what they had called, so thank you for the correction. I didn't think the purpose of replay was for referees to assess foul calls that weren't originally made on the floor.

« Reply #2729 on: June 23, 2021, 04:10:51 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
1.  They called a offensive foul after replay not a flagrant one.  Beverly showed he was bleeding in his mouth so he definitely got hit.  Offensive foul was the correct call.  Good job by the refs. 
2. So what.  If replay is going to be used, it needs to be used whenever necessary. 
3.  So there's widespread bashing of the refs and you want whether to go to replay to be left up to the ref's decision.  If they are going to do replays, it needs to be done under a defined set of rules not at the subjectivity of individual refs.  The replay showed Booker was the last to touch the ball.  So another good job by the refs. 
4.  If there is not an approved written rule, then it is not a rule.  I haven't ever heard of a written rule that 3 seconds must come off the clock.  So assuming there isn't one, another good job by the refs. 
5.  The Suns also tried to substitute at least one player on the last play.  So both teams were guilty.  So another good job by the refs getting it corrected.

1. I can bite my lip as I'm typing this, and show someone that I'm bleeding. I wouldn't put it past Beverly to do something like that to sell a call.
2. The last two minutes of the game took 33 minutes to play. I don't think the competition committee would have ever approved replay with this in mind. The players want every play under review, if the call doesn't go their way. So after the coaches use up their challenges, the referees shouldn't be influenced every time a player starts waving their finger.
3.  I saw the Booker replay too. From the camera angles used, it was not definitive if Booker touched it last. From the angle from the bench, it looked like Beverly hit it last. From the other angle, it looked like it was Booker. I was questioning if the angle that looked like Booker touched it last, was an illusion. If replay can't clearly overturn the call, then the call on the court should stand.
4. I'm not going to look it up, but you need 0.3 seconds to put up a shot. The referees will not count any shot if there is only 0.2 seconds on the clock. Even the commentators mentioned this last night and were confused by what the referees called.
5. The Suns quickly made the correction when they were made aware. The Clippers wasted around 5 minutes and forced the referees to single out each player. Huge difference between how each team handled the situation.