Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2021  (Read 310588 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2021
« Reply #2565 on: June 21, 2021, 06:56:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Now the love-fest between opponents.

I suspect it's called sportsmanship  :angel:

There's too much hate in the world as it is to hate people over a sports game. Be as competitive as you like between the lines but at the end of the game you should be able to shake your opponent's hand and say "well played".

No, not indulging in the love fest is called being a competitor.
Stomping your foot on your opponent's center court mascot is bad sportsmanship - big difference.
Connecting being a tough competitor to social issues is a bit ludicrous, no ?

btw, do you just keep an eye out for my posts just to criticize ?

There’s probably no right answer, but I’ve always liked how players do a handshake line in the NHL.  We did the same thing in high school football.  After certain defeats it sucked, but I still appreciate the practice looking back.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2566 on: June 21, 2021, 07:19:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Now the love-fest between opponents.

I suspect it's called sportsmanship  :angel:

There's too much hate in the world as it is to hate people over a sports game. Be as competitive as you like between the lines but at the end of the game you should be able to shake your opponent's hand and say "well played".

No, not indulging in the love fest is called being a competitor.
Stomping your foot on your opponent's center court mascot is bad sportsmanship - big difference.
Connecting being a tough competitor to social issues is a bit ludicrous, no ?

btw, do you just keep an eye out for my posts just to criticize ?

There’s probably no right answer, but I’ve always liked how players do a handshake line in the NHL.  We did the same thing in high school football.  After certain defeats it sucked, but I still appreciate the practice looking back.
That's very standard practice in underage football in Aus
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2567 on: June 21, 2021, 08:29:09 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It may be time to acknowledge that a lot of the discussions on what it takes to get to the finals was and is wrong.

Now we see the Suns and the Hawks in the final four. We don't need an obsession with a superstar, mainly because the league has about a dozen guys that can be the best player on the floor over a stretch of games. There is no dominant player in the NBA right now. There is no one player that can impose their will on the league.

The Celtics could get themselves into contention very quickly.

« Reply #2568 on: June 21, 2021, 08:38:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It may be time to acknowledge that a lot of the discussions on what it takes to get to the finals was and is wrong.

Now we see the Suns and the Hawks in the final four. We don't need an obsession with a superstar, mainly because the league has about a dozen guys that can be the best player on the floor over a stretch of games. There is no dominant player in the NBA right now. There is no one player that can impose their will on the league.

While I largely agree, the playoffs this year have been a bit flukish.  I’m not sure that this changes the model that much. Without the injuries, I think that there’s a different result, quite possibly Nets over Lakers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2569 on: June 21, 2021, 08:56:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's strange delightful to think that Philly had the opportunity to draft both Brown and Tatum and could have paired them with Embiid.
fixed it for you

« Reply #2570 on: June 21, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
It's strange delightful to think that Philly had the opportunity to draft both Brown and Tatum and could have paired them with Embiid.
fixed it for you

Amazing.

« Reply #2571 on: June 21, 2021, 09:23:44 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Embiid basically nuked Simmons in his presser. You can pretty much guarantee changes are coming in Philly.

Would you mind sharing some details? I missed the presser.

Joel Embiid: "I'll be honest. I thought the turning point was when we — I don't know how to say it — is when we had an open shot and we made one free throw..."

https://twitter.com/rich_hofmann/status/1406817068813635586?s=21

After throwing Simmons under the bus Embiid posted a "Thank you/I love you Philly" message where he touted himself by saying "If there is one thing I've learned being here, it's the TOUGHNESS this city has and that's why I played with a torn meniscus". I really dislike Embiid.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #2572 on: June 21, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
In case you feel like going down memory lane at all.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=88502.0

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2573 on: June 21, 2021, 09:52:43 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Embiid basically nuked Simmons in his presser. You can pretty much guarantee changes are coming in Philly.

Joel Embiid: "I'll be honest. I thought the turning point was when we — I don't know how to say it — is when we had an open shot and we made one free throw..."

After throwing Simmons under the bus Embiid posted a "Thank you/I love you Philly" message where he touted himself by saying "If there is one thing I've learned being here, it's the TOUGHNESS this city has and that's why I played with a torn meniscus". I really dislike Embiid.
Maybe you ought to read the whole Embiid quote that I already posted. 

I mean, I'll be honest. I thought the turning point was when we — I don't know how to say it — but I thought the turning point was just we had an open shot and we made one free throw and we missed the other and then they came down and scored..

"We didn't get a good possession on the other end and Trae came back and he made a 3 and then from there down four, it's on me. I turned the ball over and tried to make something happen from the perimeter. But I thought that was the turning point."

Notice how he took responsibility for his part in the loss.  The full quote doesn't read nearly so much as throwing Simmons under the bus.  Embiid has actually been quite encouraging to Simmons in the past on his 3pt shooting issues. 

The fact of the matter is that Embiid has been extremely loyal to the Sixers and Philly.  He's embraced Philly from the moment he was drafted.  Here's the actual full post that you selectively edited. 

PHILLY I LOVE YOU
Sorry to disappoint you again Just know that I gave everything I had knowing the circumstances. If there’s one thing I’ve learned being here, it’s the TOUGHNESS this city has and that’s why I played with a torn meniscus. THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT ALL YEAR LONG!!

Did Tatum or Brown post anything similar after the season ended or did they just get out of Dodge?  Has Tatum or Brown embraced Boston like Embiid has embraced Philly? 

« Reply #2574 on: June 21, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

While I largely agree, the playoffs this year have been a bit flukish.  I’m not sure that this changes the model that much. Without the injuries, I think that there’s a different result, quite possibly Nets over Lakers.
I think that is true, and the Sixers/Hawks never should have been in game 7.  I mean the Sixers blew an 18 point lead in game 4 and like a 25 point lead in game 5, in a very large part because Embiid was hobbling around (well that and Doc Rivers is just a terrible coach). 

And whether the Bucks or Nets won, both of those teams have a top 5 player (and the Nets very well may have 2).  The Clippers are in the WCF without their top 5 player and won the last two games against the team with the best record in basketball without him, in a very large part because Paul George was still the best player on the floor in that series.  I'm pretty confident the Lakers would have beaten the Suns and then the Nuggets had Davis not gotten hurt (and think they probably could have beaten those 2 teams even with Lebron hobbled some with his ankle). 

So in a major injury free playoffs we are probably seeing Lakers v. Clippers and Nets/Bucks v. Sixers.  All of those teams have arguably a top 5 player and some arguably have 2.  The injuries this year have created this weird situation where lesser teams actually have a shot, but you can't truly count on injuries as a way of team building, which is why I think this season as a whole is in fact a fluke.  That said Booker and Young are both rising stars, and they both have a chance of reaching top 5 status at some point in the relatively near future, so this could be the rise of those 2 rather than just purely a fluke (the fact that they are in the conference finals this year is a bit flukey, but it just could be the beginning of their reign).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2575 on: June 21, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Did Tatum or Brown post anything similar after the season ended or did they just get out of Dodge?  Has Tatum or Brown embraced Boston like Embiid has embraced Philly?
I try not to put too much into what the J's did or did not say after losing.  I did get a bit peeved that no one on the team said a peep about Kyrie stomping on the logo though.  That gives me the vibe they don't have a huge investment in being a Celtic.  Maybe that changes with Brad running the team instead of Danny.

« Reply #2576 on: June 21, 2021, 10:10:23 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208

I mean, I'll be honest. I thought the turning point was when we — I don't know how to say it — but I thought the turning point was just we had an open shot and we made one free throw and we missed the other and then they came down and scored..

"We didn't get a good possession on the other end and Trae came back and he made a 3 and then from there down four, it's on me. I turned the ball over and tried to make something happen from the perimeter. But I thought that was the turning point."

Notice how he took responsibility for his part in the loss.  The full quote doesn't read nearly so much as throwing Simmons under the bus.  Embiid has actually been quite encouraging to Simmons in the past on his 3pt shooting issues. 

The fact of the matter is that Embiid has been extremely loyal to the Sixers and Philly.  He's embraced Philly from the moment he was drafted.  Here's the actual full post that you selectively edited. 

PHILLY I LOVE YOU
Sorry to disappoint you again Just know that I gave everything I had knowing the circumstances. If there’s one thing I’ve learned being here, it’s the TOUGHNESS this city has and that’s why I played with a torn meniscus. THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT ALL YEAR LONG!!

I did read the entire quote. Similar to like when he was mad after an earlier game where he referenced Trae Young without using his name here he referenced Simmons without using his name. Twice he said that that is the turning point.

No, I do not recall Tatum or Brown sending out a message hyping up their own toughess by playing through an injury.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #2577 on: June 21, 2021, 11:14:10 AM »

Online W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

I try not to put too much into what the J's did or did not say after losing.  I did get a bit peeved that no one on the team said a peep about Kyrie stomping on the logo though.  That gives me the vibe they don't have a huge investment in being a Celtic.  Maybe that changes with Brad running the team instead of Danny.

Not singling Slam out here-

Tatum mentioned several times that he was using an inhaler to play through Covid after effects. Maybe that isn’t playing through injury for the city and team for some fans, but that sounds like playing through injury to me.

Brown did in fact play through injury. Perhaps in a different year where Celtics had a more obvious path to contention he would not have been shut down. I think he said as much, that he understood it was being done so he’s ready for next season? I don’t have a quote to link.

Brown and Tatum have done a lot in the community, haven’t they? At least the obligatory backing the community media events? It seems to me that Brown has done more than that on his own, but I don’t live in Boston. To me that is more embracing the city than tweeting Philly Tuff a few times.

As for the logo, most professional athletes aren’t going to care that much these days. College kids care. High school kids care. Fans care. But these guys have all spent time in with Kyrie and probably didn’t think any more of it than him talking about the earth being flat. It was childish on his part, and they probably recognized it as such. I don’t see their reaction to it as not caring about the Celtics, but rather as “Kyrie being Kyrie” and I don’t get mad at children. He wanted a reaction and he got one from the bottle thrower. Kyrie theater, don’t get pulled into it.

« Reply #2578 on: June 21, 2021, 11:18:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

PHILLY I LOVE YOU

I did read the entire quote. Similar to like when he was mad after an earlier game where he referenced Trae Young without using his name here he referenced Simmons without using his name. Twice he said that that is the turning point.

No, I do not recall Tatum or Brown sending out a message hyping up their own toughess by playing through an injury.
I also do not recall Tatum or Brown having an injury as severe as a meniscus tear.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2579 on: June 21, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

PHILLY I LOVE YOU

I also do not recall Tatum or Brown having an injury as severe as a meniscus tear.

Have you looked up the specifics of Jaylen’s wrist injury?  That’s a pretty major injury, and he played through it for weeks until reinjuring it.