Author Topic: analysis of game vs Miami Heat  (Read 2756 times)

analysis of game vs Miami Heat
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:03:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I re watched last nights game and here are some key points of the game i found.

1. Celtics defense was truly amazing. Outside of giving up a few easy baskets and the costly lebron three in the end of regulation, it was as shutdown d i have ever seen in my life.

2. The pairing of Lee and Bradley at the back court is going to cause hell for any backcourt opponents. Actually they are both such good defenders they are also able to guard sf's themselves at times. And like in hockey where good defense is just as good as offense, even if neither score more than 10 points each, they help you stay in games bc opponent guards are held to only making modest production. 

3. KG and PP play are still two lethal players for their age, but without Rondo, their passing skills really shine. KG gave lee open chances after open chances and it was too bad he couldn't score a few more buckets. Bc that would of sealed the game right there. I'm sure lee who has been playing consistently good as of late will play better next game. Pierce also by habit , the whole game was thinking about making good passes, instead of getting passes and expected to make buckets with time winding down.

4. There was little time moving the basketball past the halfcourt, making the pass on top of the key, and making one or two more passes for a high percentage shot. The pick and roll especially was clicking at all cylinders, something we haven't seen in a long while. Miami's usually good defense looked confused bc each time up the court, plays where different.

5. Jeff Green was on fire. I don't know what is with him playing without Rondo, but he just plays better. We now have our man to defend elite sf's in the league. Guys like Lebron, Carmelo and Durant for example. I never knew he was this good of a defender before. He played a solid offensive game also and doesn't waste shot opportunities.

6. Still there are definitely a few worries when you don't have a natural pg. For example late 1st quarter, the celtics guards had trouble getting the ball in deep. Like hubie mentioned without rondo, now the passing creativity was missing. Also how will this defense play against a team with a legit pf/c that would give KG problems. A center like Duncan who can murder you with the inside and outside game. I would really like to see how we would fare

7. Last nights lineup looks ideal for the rest of the year. Sullinger as a starter is the right move. Bass did good coming off the bench. Terry hit some key baskets but he did miss quite a bit also. Barbosa is a much better player than we give him credit for. We can't forget he won the 6th player award in the past. Overall our bench outplayed the heats and its been honestly the best bench in the league since 10 games ago.

And unlike the last time , where god only knows how we lost to the Kings, i bet tomorrow we win and win big. I'm excited with the team we have now and looking forward to getting back to playing Celtics basketball. I strongly recommend to re watch last nights game if you got time, because again the defense was that great
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:09:08 PM by triboy16f »

Re: analysis of game vs Miami Heat
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Great analysis! TP! Great points made. Except I think we still have decent passing, KG and Pierce are natural facilitators when need be, as well and they keep the veteran poise that makes the offense perform well in late-game situations.

The 4-0 run in OT was something none of us expected after everything that happened thus far this season,
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:20:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Great analysis! TP! Great points made. Except I think we still have decent passing, KG and Pierce are natural facilitators when need be, as well and they keep the veteran poise that makes the offense perform well in late-game situations.

but you know whats the difference, when need to be. Without rondo, they have to be, and they are both excellent passers. Two of the best in their positions and we don't see it enough.

The 4-0 run in OT was something none of us expected after everything that happened thus far this season,

When you have great defense, your confidence is just way up there. KG and PP can focus on making shots and know if they miss, they can rely on such great defense that will shutdown the miami offense anyways.

Miami really had to claw their way to get most of the points last night. Spolstra stated we beat their 1st, 2nd and 3rd options

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
We won. If Ray Allen doesn't miss the same amount of free throws in this game that he has all season long we likely don't.

Nice win and way to gut out a victory in double OT, but we aren't beating this team in a 7 game series unless Lebron tears his ACL.

I HATE that our guys never got to beat this team in the playoffs... Hate It.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:34:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
We won. If Ray Allen doesn't miss the same amount of free throws in this game that he has all season long we likely don't.

Nice win and way to gut out a victory in double OT, but we aren't beating this team in a 7 game series unless Lebron tears his ACL.

let me ask you why can't we beat them?? Last year we had an awful bench and didn't play consistent defense. Bradley and Lee already are serious upgrades.

Lebron can go off all he wants, if you can neutralize wade and bosh, it doesn't matter. 

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 03:37:31 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215

let me ask you why can't we beat them?? Last year we had an awful bench and didn't play consistent defense. Bradley and Lee already are serious upgrades.

Lebron can go off all he wants, if you can neutralize wade and bosh, it doesn't matter.

KG and Rondo were the only reasons why we almost beat the Heat last season. Who on the Celtics can replace Rondo's offense/rebounding (20/11/7 against Miami) and can KG average 19/10 again against a healthy Bosh? There's also no one on the team now that has the potential to take over games on a consistent basis...Pierce/KG can occasionally, but you can't rely on that happening.

Terry/Lee/Green, no matter how well they play together, aren't going to impact the game the way Rondo does. It's nice that they can beat other opponents bench players, but that doesn't matter much in the playoffs.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 03:52:56 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

KG and Rondo were the only reasons why we almost beat the Heat last season. Who on the Celtics can replace Rondo's offense/rebounding (20/11/7 against Miami) and can KG average 19/10 again against a healthy Bosh? There's also no one on the team now that has the potential to take over games on a consistent basis...Pierce/KG can occasionally, but you can't rely on that happening.

Terry/Lee/Green, no matter how well they play together, aren't going to impact the game the way Rondo does. It's nice that they can beat other opponents bench players, but that doesn't matter much in the playoffs.

Yup. No chance. Especially after last night, which proved the Heat could beat the Celtics no matter what.

Pierce and Garnett should just retire and save us some time. As should Doc.

Honestly why even bother playing the playoffs. Just give the Heat their 2peat.

Actually we might as well let ESPN decide who goes through the first few rounds because those are a waste of time anyway.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:59:14 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

probably so. those were the only two positions we were better than the heat at. now it is down to 1 spot out of 5. not good at all.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:10:55 AM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215

Yup. No chance. Especially after last night, which proved the Heat could beat the Celtics no matter what.

Actually we might as well let ESPN decide who goes through the first few rounds because those are a waste of time anyway.

Yes, congrats to the Celtics for beating the Heat in double overtime at home. I'm sure they'll do fine in a seven game series without their best player.

Honestly, how can anyone believe we have enough talent to win against Miami? Before the injury I thought there was small chance at us making the ECF again with some strong performances from our main guys. Now, I find it near impossible.

Call me crazy for not thinking were good enough to beat the defending champs without our top playoff performer...

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 05:01:38 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Yes, congrats to the Celtics for beating the Heat in double overtime at home. I'm sure they'll do fine in a seven game series without their best player.

Honestly, how can anyone believe we have enough talent to win against Miami?
people who don't think Miami is invincible we won't have Rondo this year but we will have Green/Jet/Lee/Bradley/Barbosa/Sully etc it's a team game either of those guys can hurt Miami and make a difference (just like the Millers and Battiers killed us last year)
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 05:58:24 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

probably so. those were the only two positions we were better than the heat at. now it is down to 1 spot out of 5. not good at all.

if it's haslem vs sully like last game, it's 2 outta 5.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 06:25:51 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

Honestly, how can anyone believe we have enough talent to win against Miami? Before the injury I thought there was small chance at us making the ECF again with some strong performances from our main guys. Now, I find it near impossible.

Call me crazy for not thinking were good enough to beat the defending champs without our top playoff performer...

Maybe I'm just a bit p---ed off at all the Heat apologists and the Heat worshiping. Sorry if I came off as a bit of a jerk.

Yes. It's less likely now in a 7 game series that we beat the Heat.

But impossible? Naw.

KG and Rondo weren't just the only reasons we won. They were also practically the only healthy players on the roster by then. We had a hobbling Pierce. Bass. Dooling... (I keep bringing this up but people brush it off too often).

4-0? I don't think so. It'd be 5 vs. 8 now as opposed to the 2, 3 vs. 8 we had last time round.

I think we could very well take them to 6, 7 games (and I'd call it a likely case scenario).

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:26:26 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Mario Chalmers is truly a horrible basketball player. We are still better than them at point guard despite not really having one.

They do have lebron though. Just a small issue.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19

Mario Chalmers is truly a horrible basketball player. We are still better than them at point guard despite not really having one.

They do have lebron though. Just a small issue.
You clearly don't know b-ball:
http://youtu.be/m5FFMQZ8sho
Remember that game came in the finals
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 09:21:46 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
most overrated win ever... sad the excitement it's generated frankly..rondo goes down and we barely beat a coasting Miami team playing down to the level of competition against a team without their best player and now you'd think we are title contenders. lol.
  this was no different then us going into Cleveland and playing down to the level of competition and getting punked by a team trying to get a signature win...at this point I'd be more impressed to beat a Cleveland because we refuse to even show up to those and its infuriating