Author Topic: Are your BostonCeltics Cheap?  (Read 4761 times)

Re: Are your BostonCeltics Cheap?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2021, 01:42:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Boston isn't winning the title this year.  Never had a real shot with the Big 3 the team has.  So why hamstring the team by adding big money role players that aren't going to do anything.

About when should we expect  push for a title?
When Tatum starts approaching top 5 status, which may be next year but probably more like the 22-23 season (if he elevates that high at all).  You need that 1st Team All NBA guy to really have a shot at being a multi-year true contender and Brown needs to get up into that 3rd Team All NBA range (or higher) for Boston to really feel comfortable about contending.  I mean the best player in the world doesn't have a top 15 teammate and he hasn't even made the Finals yet (and if you want to call Giannis top 5, and not the best, that is fine - the point still stands).  I mean look at the teams that have won titles.  They all basically have the 1st Team All NBA guy surrounded by at least 1, and often 2, other All NBA guys (or at least the talent of All NBA guys even if they didn't make it that particular year).  That is reality.  Top tier talent wins, and Boston's young guys aren't at that level yet so Boston isn't going to a contender until the young guys hit that level.   

One shot at a championship right now and I am taking LeBron James and Kevin Durant over Giannis.
So a GOAT candidate and one of the most lethal scorers of all time over a two-way anchor with great but flawed offence as a #1? All three of them sound pretty OP to me :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2021, 06:49:51 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Boston isn't winning the title this year.  Never had a real shot with the Big 3 the team has.  So why hamstring the team by adding big money role players that aren't going to do anything.

When Tatum starts approaching top 5 status, which may be next year but probably more like the 22-23 season (if he elevates that high at all).  You need that 1st Team All NBA guy to really have a shot at being a multi-year true contender and Brown needs to get up into that 3rd Team All NBA range (or higher) for Boston to really feel comfortable about contending.  I mean the best player in the world doesn't have a top 15 teammate and he hasn't even made the Finals yet (and if you want to call Giannis top 5, and not the best, that is fine - the point still stands).  I mean look at the teams that have won titles.  They all basically have the 1st Team All NBA guy surrounded by at least 1, and often 2, other All NBA guys (or at least the talent of All NBA guys even if they didn't make it that particular year).  That is reality.  Top tier talent wins, and Boston's young guys aren't at that level yet so Boston isn't going to a contender until the young guys hit that level.   
Tatum approaching top 5 status is far from a sure thing. He might be considered that though if we make the nba finals. We won’t make the nba finals because we are not contenders and don’t want to waste picks for win now moves. All this sounds logical until it doesn’t ... ask GMs like Ujiri , Pelinka and Reilly would confirm that

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 07:53:06 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Hard to believe that at $120M, that is 25th in the league.  And as someone says, that is going to jump up quite a bit just from Tatum's new deal kicking in.

I do not feel the Celtics have been cheap.  They have had a competitive team every year in what was supposed to be a rebuilding phase.  They paid their young core and brought in the best FAs that they could.  Now people are concerned that aren't spending enough on the bench?

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2021, 08:14:26 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Actually 26th(117m) per basketball-reference.com
But as you say next year we jump to 131m

I was watching Felger and Mazz and Felger was trolling Celtics fans by saying you have spent all of your money and you are unable to add to your roster.  So I looked into it.  Did you know the Celtics are actually 25th of 30 teams in payroll in the NBA?  Do you know how many teams have won a championship spending in the bottom 5 teams?  You are correct NONE.  I also learned we have a $28.5 million dollar trade exception, a $5 million dollar trade exception, and a $2.5 million dollar trade exception.  We have a big 3.  What other teams have that we don’t is a bench. Players that can come in and score. Shooters.  The other contenders have them.  We bring in Grant, Semi, Javonte, etc.  They are OK but are they rotational players on a championship team?  I remember when we had KG and Ray Allen and Pierce.  Danny went out and got James Posey, Eddie House, Sam Cassell, etc. They all contributed to that championship.  Why doesn’t Danny do that for this team? Are his hands tied?  We don’t need to trade our Big 3.  Put something around them.  Then watch us take a big step forward. So Wick and Sal why are we 25th in payroll?

you missing a few small details like luxury tax , hard cap , repeaters tax and you compare a team ready to win now with a core of players over their 30s to todays team with tatum 22yo and brown 24yo

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Middleton was absolutely an All-NBA calibre player last year no matter how much you want to crap on Giannis' supporting cast, just because the Bucks have lost to two really strong teams in the playoffs (the Heat definitely had an unexpected run, but the totality of what they had really looks like something akin to the '79 Sonics with Butler as their All-NBA guy and two All-Star level players in Bam and Dragic with a strong collection of role players) doesn't make those Bucks squads non-contenders.
The Bucks are contenders because Giannis is that good, but the fact they haven't made the Finals yet, absolutely furthers the point I was making.  Butler is a top 10 player and Bam is top 15 or so.  Those two are both better than Middleton, though worse than Giannis.  Dragic was the 5th best player in that series.  The year before they lost to the Raptors with a player equal or near equal to Giannis, but with Lowry and Siakam both better or in the range of Middleton.

The problem with the Bucks is Middleton hasn't been a good enough 2nd when the 3rd player on the team was a flawed player like Bledsoe.  I like the Bucks a lot more this year with Holiday.  The Middleton and Holiday duo as the 2nd and 3rd best player could be good enough to get the Bucks to the Finals, though as we saw last night they aren't going to beat a team like the Lakers and with the Nets being potentially really good, the Sixers looking better, and the Heat still being around it won't be an easy path for them.  If the Bucks had a real and legit All NBA player as the 2nd option, they'd quite simply be in much better shape. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I don't believe they're cheap, as shown by recent contracts.  I think they want to ensue they have salary flexibility and not cap locked.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."