Author Topic: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors  (Read 23126 times)

Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors
« on: April 07, 2018, 11:32:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

http://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/boston-celtics-announcer-mike-gorman-i-wouldnt-trade-jayson-tatum-for-kawhi-leonard

So it turns out Tommy Heinsohn isn't the only person saying no to a  Jayson Tatum-for-Kawhi Leonard trade.

Celtics play-by-play announcer Mike Gorman wouldn't do it, either.

"Jayson is a big-time talent," Gorman said Friday morning on 98.5 The Sports Hub's Toucher & Rich show. "Everybody around the league that I talk to says . . . it's going to be frightening how good he'll be in his second year."

But that's not all of it.

"There's something not right about that whole situation in San Antoni with Kawhi Leonard," Gorman said, adding: "When something goes south in an atmosphere that players thrive in, it makes you wonder."

Preach guys!  ;D

I agree. Not trading Tatum in any package for Leonard. Nope. Might not even trade Jaylen either. Way too risky, Kawhi's an expiring, and we don't even know what his injury is. Also, acquiring him may gut a good part of our team/depth. Keep the guys we have, bring a healthy Hayward and Kyrie back next year, and we could still add some pieces with Kings Pick and Grizzlies Pick going forward (and maybe scooping up guys similar to Baynes and Monroe on "cheap" contracts/exceptions for depth to support the starting lineup). I also imagine we'll bring back Smart at a reasonable rate and/or sign Terry to an extension long term (to back up Kyrie on a contending team).

Never thought I'd say that, as I view Kawhi as a Top-5 player in the league when healthy and also a little underrated (surprisingly), but that's where I am now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:36:53 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
In Tatum Danny found his freak. He missed on the Greek so he bet on the kid. Looks like he hit the jackpot. He is not trading Jayson.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:39:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
In Tatum Danny found his freak. He missed on the Greek so he bet on the kid. Looks like he hit the jackpot. He is not trading Jayson.

Yep, well said. Also telling that he traded down from #1 to #3 to acquire him, and even acknowledged that he was going to take Tatum #1 anyways. Glad to have him  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 11:42:53 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Great...but those guys also didn't want to send Big Al for KG...Pretty sure Danny doesn't ask them. ha.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 11:59:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If there were no salary matching rules and no luxury tax, we’d have to make that trade. Kawhi is a top-5 player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 12:01:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Great...but those guys also didn't want to send Big Al for KG...Pretty sure Danny doesn't ask them. ha.

Funny enough, Mike addressed this.

Celtics’ general manager Danny Ainge once decided to take advantage of the close quarters and run an idea by the team’s play by play man.

“If you had a chance to get Kevin Garnett,” Ainge asked. “Would you give up Al Jefferson?”

Gorman said no.

Luckily for Celtics’ fans, Ainge ignored the advice and dealt Jefferson to the Timberwolves in a trade that brought Garnett to Boston. Garnett won Defensive Player of the Year as the Celtics raised Banner No. 17, while the Timberwolves wrapped up their season with a 22-60 record. Gorman called Garnett the best teammate he’s ever seen for his ability to organize, even micromanage, a locker room.

“That was the last time Danny consulted me on any potential deals,” Gorman laughed.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumo
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 12:10:10 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
How old is Tatum? Barely 20.

Wait until he gets on the same training program as Kawhi, LeBron, and Gianni's. All those moves to the basket that he gets knocked aside will have more succesful finishes.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 12:19:33 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If there were no salary matching rules and no luxury tax, we’d have to make that trade. Kawhi is a top-5 player.

Is he still?

Where is his head and his body for that matter?

Given the?‘s on his mental and physical status, he’s a gamble… Not worth what he once was.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 12:32:31 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Id trade JT only for AD alone..no other NBA player even if top 5 will do.. Well these top 5 are either old(lebron) or ballhog(Westbrook/Harden). So only AD suites for me.

Kawhi is a special Talent but JT with the right program and development will be the same player as KL.. Ain't gonna bother trading him for something he will becomr anyways.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 12:37:21 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Id trade JT only for AD alone..no other NBA player even if top 5 will do.. Well these top 5 are either old(lebron) or ballhog(Westbrook/Harden). So only AD suites for me.

Kawhi is a special Talent but JT with the right program and development will be the same player as KL.. Ain't gonna bother trading him for something he will becomr anyways.

Well said
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:59:05 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 02:33:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Danny would trade Jaylen for KL but for the salary problems. We have two max guys and we are adding two more after next season?  Don’t think so.

What makes KL so special is that he is the only guy on this planet who whupped Lebron Mano Mano in the finals. I know of no other player who can defend Lebron like him. Elite.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 02:57:29 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I understand Tatum has been good this year within the role he's been asked to play, I understand he he is young and I certainly think he has a high upside, but we just don't know. Even as good as Tatum is for him to be a top five NBA player and MVP candidate he will have to improve immensley ina areas like off the dribble shoting, man to an defense, ball handling and passing. Thats not an ammount of improvemnt you just can just assume from anybody. The odds are simply aginst Tatum ever becoming as good as Leonard. Players stagnate in their devlopemnt all the time. Look at Smart, who has improved somewhat but is still largely the same player he was. Or Aaron Gordon who has made strides since his rookie seaosn but still isnt as all star. Or Wiggins who has gotten worse. Tatum reaching a super star level cannot be the assumption. And as much as I like Brown, and I'm one of his bigger supporters, the same is true of him. I hope they both get there, but its far from certain and the smart bet would be they end up soemthing less than MVP level.

That said, I still might not trade Tatum for Leonard for the reasons like more has to go out with him to make salaries work, Leonard has one year left on his deal and his injury situation is very scary to me. Or maybe its better just to hope Davis becomes available next off season. And Tatum/Brown's potential does count for something. Just dont think its a smart idea to dismiss the trade out of hand because Tatum is gonna be as good as Leonard, cuz he very well might not.

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 04:13:27 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
On a talent standpoint, you really can’t expect Tatum to be better than Leonard. He may get as good, he may not. Kawhi is a truly exceptional player.

But, when taking into account everything (his age, contract, personality, what other players/picks it would cost, what’s going on with Kawhi), it’s very difficult to justify it.

I also think Tatum is a more unique player and not as redundant as Kawhi/Hayward would be. I feel like Kawhi is just a (marginally) better Hayward.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 04:45:43 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I would be open to the idea (people tend to forget how amazing Leonard is) but there's simply no need. We have plenty of other assets. If we land him, we'll be able to do so without giving up Tatum, so thankfully it won't come to Danny deciding between Tatum and Leonard.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 04:49:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be open to the idea (people tend to forget how amazing Leonard is) but there's simply no need. We have plenty of other assets. If we land him, we'll be able to do so without giving up Tatum, so thankfully it won't come to Danny deciding between Tatum and Leonard.
Precisely. If SAS asked for Tatum I feel as if DA would say no (unless it was stupidly in our favour, but I can't imagine how). We have plenty to hypothetically offer for Kawhi.

He's a top 5 guy in the league when going. Two top 15 guys in the league + Brad + JT and whatever supporting cast is nasty
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)