Author Topic: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors  (Read 23076 times)

Re: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
If there were no salary matching rules and no luxury tax, we’d have to make that trade. Kawhi is a top-5 player.
Top 5 players play

Eh. We saw what happened when IT played through pain. There’s probably a lesson there.  His toughness and loyalty to the team cost him tens of millions.

Conversely, we’re seeing a top-15 player (Kyrie) decide not to play through pain in order to take care of his body.

Being ultra-conservative while protecting an asset (in this case, Kawhi’s long-term health) is not necessarily a character flaw.
Wasn't it a quad thing and he was due back in January or something? I just don't see it as the same thing. I feel this is closer to holding out than being very careful. If he has to be that careful it makes me think he's injury prone.

I don't see Danny and Brad moving on a guy whose entourage calls his shots.  I imagine Pop will fix it.

Already having a two way stud like Brown who fits in with the culture the C's are building, it seems out  of character for Danny to bring in a distraction.

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Kyrie is skipping the playoffs for what basically amounts to soreness. It’s an extremely reasonable decision, too.

I thought Kyrie was on schedule to return, but then came down with a bacterial infection and removing the screws became a very necessary decision. Was there a report that said the infection wasn't serious and he could have put off the removal of the screws?

I am not trying to put you on the spot - I just had a different understanding of what happened.

He could have put off the first surgery. He could have taken antibiotics to put off the second surgery. In each case, it was simply an issue of pain tolerance, rather than structural stabilityHe didn’t get an infection due to the first surgery; it was pre-existing and wasn’t causing systemic issues. It was causing local site pain.

I'am not buying this, apparently this was a pain that will affect his performance to push us to the title so he took the first and planing back in the playoff, and i'm not a surgeon but what i know they will never allow an infected plant that long because if you try to control the infection caused by a plant only using antibiotic it can ended out very ugly,like amputate or death ugly.

plus most case there needs to be a wound to get infected, so i'm not buying that too
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:59:58 PM by playdream »

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
If there were no salary matching rules and no luxury tax, we’d have to make that trade. Kawhi is a top-5 player.
Top 5 players play

Eh. We saw what happened when IT played through pain. There’s probably a lesson there.  His toughness and loyalty to the team cost him tens of millions.

Conversely, we’re seeing a top-15 player (Kyrie) decide not to play through pain in order to take care of his body.

Being ultra-conservative while protecting an asset (in this case, Kawhi’s long-term health) is not necessarily a character flaw.
Wasn't it a quad thing and he was due back in January or something? I just don't see it as the same thing. I feel this is closer to holding out than being very careful. If he has to be that careful it makes me think he's injury prone.

I don't see Danny and Brad moving on a guy whose entourage calls his shots.  I imagine Pop will fix it.

Already having a two way stud like Brown who fits in with the culture the C's are building, it seems out  of character for Danny to bring in a distraction.
You bet, Brad and Pop are the commander and they will NOT allow their solders to not follow orders, no matter how good you are as a single.
That's why we traded Rondo, Passed on Cousins and Butler, it's all about team culture, ubuntu, all for one one for all, you can't be selfish and only think about your money and let your brothers die on the battlefield.

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2018, 03:57:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Top 5 players play

You bet, Brad and Pop are the commander and they will NOT allow their solders to not follow orders, no matter how good you are as a single.
That's why we traded Rondo, Passed on Cousins and Butler, it's all about team culture, ubuntu, all for one one for all, you can't be selfish and only think about your money and let your brothers die on the battlefield.

Yet they traded for a guy who forced his way off of a title contender, and traded for another guy who caused some locker room issues in Phoenix and who was facing felony assault charges.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Top 5 players play

Yet they traded for a guy who forced his way off of a title contender, and traded for another guy who caused some locker room issues in Phoenix and who was facing felony assault charges.
Did they give up a guy like Tatum for that?

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2018, 04:40:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Top 5 players play

Roy, just curious, but IF the offer was something like Brown, Morris, Rozier, two of Ojeyele/Nader/Yabusele (salary) and 2 future 1st rounders (one being Kings Pick OR Grizzlies), AND Kawhi is willing to stay here long term, are you telling me you'd do that or no?

I'm still iffy as whatever has been bugging Kawhi (injury) has practically kept him out all season. Probably not a great sign.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2018, 05:35:07 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
If I'm not mistaken Kawhi's uncle is the one calling the shots on his injury and rehab.  It doesn't seem like something Danny's really gonna go for.   Particularly when he has a two way talent in Brown who's putting up better numbers than Kawhi did when Kawhi was Brown's age.

But in the end, what do I know?  No one's offering me Danny's job.

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Top 5 players play

Roy, just curious, but IF the offer was something like Brown, Morris, Rozier, two of Ojeyele/Nader/Yabusele (salary) and 2 future 1st rounders (one being Kings Pick OR Grizzlies), AND Kawhi is willing to stay here long term, are you telling me you'd do that or no?

I'm still iffy as whatever has been bugging Kawhi (injury) has practically kept him out all season. Probably not a great sign.

In a second, and I’ve been a huge Brown supporter since day one.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 06:41:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Top 5 players play

So Kyrie, Kawhi, Hayward, Al & Tatum, and everything else rookie or vet min contracts gets you closer to a championship than what we have now?  That is a lot of salary loaded into 5 guys...106 mil.  If the salary cap is 108 mil how many other guys do we need to jetison? 

2018-2019 salary
KI - 19mil
Kawhi- 20mil
Hayward - 31 mil
Al - 29 mil

I am not saying I wouldn't do it.  I would be crying to trade Jaylen Brown though.  I would hate to watch him become an all-star somewhere else.  I would also be worried about us crashing and burning with an injury or two.

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2018, 07:34:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
IMO, a healthy Kawhi is as good as anyone, Lebron and Durant included.

But the fact is, his health and whatever the off the court issues are make putting a huge package out there for him a non-starter. You just can't do it.

No way I'd trade Tatum for him. Frankly, I'm having a hard time thinking what sort  of deal could pry Tatum away from Boston, at least from my perspective. I love Jaylen, but yeah, I'd consider him for KL in the right situation, but with all the questions about him, right now, I wouldn't do it.

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I am a big fan of Kawhi. He's def top 10 player, but not top 5 in my eyes. There are a bunch of young guys on good deals, and Tatum is one of them. I don't think Tatum will become Jordan, but he does have Carmelo/Pierce potential. I'd hate to give up on that early.

Players I would trade Tatum for without thinking (straight up):

Lebron
KD
Steph
Harden
Westbrook
Davis
Giannis
Embiid

After this, I'm pausing to think for these guys:

Leonard
Towns
Klay
Draymond
Butler
Wall
George
Cousins
Simmons

I don't think I ever would have been this picky about Tatum before this season.

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I am a big fan of Kawhi. He's def top 10 player, but not top 5 in my eyes. There are a bunch of young guys on good deals, and Tatum is one of them. I don't think Tatum will become Jordan, but he does have Carmelo/Pierce potential. I'd hate to give up on that early.

Players I would trade Tatum for without thinking (straight up):

Lebron
KD
Steph
Harden
Westbrook
Davis
Giannis
Embiid

After this, I'm pausing to think for these guys:

Leonard
Towns
Klay
Draymond
Butler
Wall
George
Cousins
Simmons

I don't think I ever would have been this picky about Tatum before this season.
Carmelo or Pierce isn't as good as Leonard will be for at least the next 5 years and Tatum is no where near that level right now. By the time he is, Horford is gone and Hayward and Irving will be at the tail end of their prime so how good is that team really. And that of course is if they are still on the team which isn't a given.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2018, 09:54:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
IMO, a healthy Kawhi is as good as anyone, Lebron and Durant included.

But the fact is, his health and whatever the off the court issues are make putting a huge package out there for him a non-starter. You just can't do it.

If Kawhi is as good as Durant or Lebron, you don’t quibble about trading a really nice prospect for him.

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
And we almost got through an entire season without one our best players involved in trade rumors. Sigh. #SoClose

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2018, 11:49:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Top 5 players play

So Kyrie, Kawhi, Hayward, Al & Tatum, and everything else rookie or vet min contracts gets you closer to a championship than what we have now?  That is a lot of salary loaded into 5 guys...106 mil.  If the salary cap is 108 mil how many other guys do we need to jetison? 

2018-2019 salary
KI - 19mil
Kawhi- 20mil
Hayward - 31 mil
Al - 29 mil

I am not saying I wouldn't do it.  I would be crying to trade Jaylen Brown though.  I would hate to watch him become an all-star somewhere else.  I would also be worried about us crashing and burning with an injury or two.

Yes, trading for an MVP candidate improves the team.

Horford / Monroe
Kawhi / Theis
Tatum
Hayward
Kyrie / Smart

The team would need to use the Taxpayer MLE on a backup wing, and Wyc would need to commit to paying the tax for the foreseeable future, but that team is a contender.

I’d be equally happy with Jaylen instead of Tatum.