Author Topic: Lovie Smith hired by Illinois  (Read 1871 times)

Lovie Smith hired by Illinois
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:15:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
So over the weekend I see the little bottom line ticker reading that Illinois had fired its head football coach and my first thought man that is weird, why would you fire your coach in March.  A couple of hours later it all made sense when Lovie Smith was announced as the new head coach at Illinois.  Seems like an odd choice for Lovie as he had a good deal of success at Tampa and obviously made the Superbowl with the Bears.  And while I get that Illinios will get a boost here, you would have to think Lovie won't be there for the long haul so it is a strange hiring on that front.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Lovie Smith hired by Illinois
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:27:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He was a college coach for a long time before he broke into the pro game.

After a rough experience with the Bucs he might be wanting to get out of pro coaching entirely. It sucks to get fired because your owner wants your OC to have your job despite doing a pretty good job overall. (at least at coaching, didn't love their front office moves)

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

After a rough experience with the Bucs he might be wanting to get out of pro coaching entirely. It sucks to get fired because your owner wants your OC to have your job despite doing a pretty good job overall. (at least at coaching, didn't love their front office moves)

My biggest question is whether he'll embrace the recruiting aspect of college coaching? Something pro coaches don't have to deal with. 

I don't think he's been involved with the college game since '95.  That's a long time away from it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

My biggest question is whether he'll embrace the recruiting aspect of college coaching? Something pro coaches don't have to deal with. 

I don't think he's been involved with the college game since '95.  That's a long time away from it.
Yeah recruiting will be a big change.

On the plus side he's always been a players coach, which is very much the mentality you have to have to recruit when you are not the top dog already in CFB.