Author Topic: MMQB - NFL should give Pats draft picks back  (Read 2322 times)

MMQB - NFL should give Pats draft picks back
« on: February 22, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: MMQB - NFL should give Pats draft picks back
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
The NFL should but they won't.  Doing that would further illustrate the narrative that the league office is incompetent & there are 31 other owners in the league that are too gleeful at the notion of the Pats being docked this penalty than to get it overturned.

Kraft should've never capitulated so easily in the first place.  Basically took & swallowed this ridiculous penalty thinking that it would get him some leniency with Brady (which it didn't).   

League never took this PSI "integrity of the league" thing seriously.  If they did, you would've seen actual results & findings on PSI studies for 2015 games.  It would've been studied & dissected.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:08:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think the NFL should give them back.  There was an appeals process.  The team specifically waived their appeal rights.  Now, for better or for worse, they're stuck with the judgment. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Completely agree with the should but will not.

It is still the Pat's fault for accepting it. 

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 03:43:28 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't think the NFL should give them back.  There was an appeals process.  The team specifically waived their appeal rights.  Now, for better or for worse, they're stuck with the judgment.

I certainly don't believe the league will give back the picks.

I think they "should," if they were at all interested in giving out fair punishments for crimes committed. However, it is abundantly clear this is not and never has been Goodell's goal.

Your comment is an interesting philosophical question. Hypothetically, for example, if we were talking about criminal guilt, should only people who initially appealed and lost their guilty verdict be released from prison if exonerating evidence was found after the fact? If the state found overwhelming evidence of not-guilty, I would hope that they wouldn't say "well, he should have appealed in the first place" and just discard the evidence.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think they "should," if they were at all interested in giving out fair punishments for crimes committed. However, it is abundantly clear this is not and never has been Goodell's goal.

Your comment is an interesting philosophical question. Hypothetically, for example, if we were talking about criminal guilt, should only people who initially appealed and lost their guilty verdict be released from prison if exonerating evidence was found after the fact? If the state found overwhelming evidence of not-guilty, I would hope that they wouldn't say "well, he should have appealed in the first place" and just discard the evidence.

That's not how criminal law really works.  If there's exonerating evidence that wasn't discovered at the time, a defendant will get a new trial.

In civil law, it happens all the time.  If you lose, and don't appeal, it doesn't really matter what happens after the fact.  Generally speaking, a judgment is a judgment.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

That's not how criminal law really works.  If there's exonerating evidence that wasn't discovered at the time, a defendant will get a new trial.

In civil law, it happens all the time.  If you lose, and don't appeal, it doesn't really matter what happens after the fact.  Generally speaking, a judgment is a judgment.

I realize that criminal law would work differently, but philosophically, the principal should be the same, if the goal was actually integrity, fairness, and/or justice. The league isn't even a justice system, so they are not bound by criminal nor civil laws in terms of internal regulations (Their practices must still adhere to applicable external law, which, so far, in the case of Brady v NFL, they have not as determined by Judge Berman).

Point is, the decision to appeal (or not to) is often independent of status of guilt. Therefore, if guilt later becomes significantly doubted, the punishment "should" be altered, regardless of appeal status.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
This is Robert Kraft's fault.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio