Author Topic: Gordon Hayward is back  (Read 4075 times)

Gordon Hayward is back
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:32:25 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 With 5:22 left to play, in the third quarter of game four against the Pacers. Gordon got his swag back.

It was a picture perfect moment of what Haywards athleticism once was, and still is.

Wes Mathews poked the ball away from Hayward at half court. Hayward showed good quickness to beat him to the loose ball.

Gordon snags it, turns up court heading straight for the rim. He sees Baynes clearing out Turner, he attacks the rim, jumping off his wrong foot, and still elevates two hands easily over the rim.

Celtics bench goes crazy! Baynes gets called for the clear-out. It doesn't matter. Gordon Hayward and his confidence are back.

That was his signature Dunk in Utah. Full speed two hands power dunks sometimes elbows at the rim.

That dunk wasn't elbows high, but it was his wrong foot and it was still nasty. This is a great sign.

Re: Gordon Hayward is back
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 06:05:13 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The way Ainge and Brad stubbornly tolerated Gordons recovery the dissension that it caused that simmered all season and his turnaround that is picking up now .We all saw it begin and it did pause after his sprained ankle but  then you could see it beginning to pick up pace and feeding on itself as Hayward became more aggressive on closeouts and getting to rim .Hayward said he is still rehabbing daily.

So Kudos for Ainge and Brad for not sending Hayward to d league for holding the line.
It is possible these days off will even add and build to his recovery or he might just plateau for awhile.
The Pacers were an excellent team for him  to play as they were physical and defensive minded.
Now we have a smart,strong physical player we are going to need versus Bucks.Lets hope he gets deadly from outside in games now his confidence is back. His year of rehabbing left him a lot of time working on his shot that was already good.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 07:23:06 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Never for a second i blame Hayward for his poor play before recovery

That's what differs Danny&Brad to casual fans "long term vision"

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:46:14 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Hes been pretty good for about a month or so now. Ever since he came back he has attacked the rim more and looked more confident.

As I said in another thread, he is the key to how far we go. Him looking like this adds another dimension to the team.

Seems as if everyone is coming together at the right time

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 08:32:39 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Hayward might be the key player for the Celtics this year. If he can come back as a consistently great as he was prior to the injury he can change this team.

With a recovered Hayward, this team has a shot at a championship.

So, let’s cross those fingers, folks.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 08:49:37 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Gordon Hayward approves of this thread.

And somewhere -

Kyrie is clapping with approval.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 04:47:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He was great in the close out game yesterday. He was also 2-7 for 6 points in the game before.

I still don't think he's 100%.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 05:50:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
He was great in the close out game yesterday. He was also 2-7 for 6 points in the game before.

I still don't think he's 100%.

Your right. Not 100% back,That said, he's back!

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 05:57:23 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Plays  positional defense and  nothing fancy but very good passer.High IQ player and now another calming veteran presence Some time off and and another week of recovery and confidence.
The Turner dunk impressed me it showed Gordon not backing down, no covering up.
Now it's Semi's turn last series he got some bad blocking calls.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 06:00:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There are tons of good signs.  The production is one thing, but apart from that there's Gordo's confidence.  He's taking the ball to the hoop more.  There's the called-off dunk the OP mentioned. 

Another key play from yesterday's game was the contest on Turner's dunk.  Hayward held his ground and contested the dunk (and in reality, probably should have drawn an offensive foul, since Turner "cleared space" by elbowing Hayward in the throat).  That play illustrates that Hayward isn't afraid of contact any more; I doubt it's a play he would have made two months ago.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He reportedly played better when Smart supposedly got under his skin during practice a few months ago.

He also played more aggressively it seemed when Myles dunked on him.

I'm getting Gordon Hayward a pocket Myles Turner for his birthday OR Christmas - whatever's closest.

Just take it out, look at it, close his eyes and then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LinS8LS8TVE

Voila!

He is SO CLOSE....but even at about 85 percent dude will help us BIG TIME over the next 8 weeks or so.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 06:32:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Just as importantly his teammates and he are finally learning how to play together.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Give credit to Kyrie because Kyrie could have continued shooting the ball in the 4th.
But Kyrie was not shooting the ball well in Game 4.
So Kyrie was content playing facilitator and letting Hayward and Morris do the scoring in the 4th of Game 4.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes he is.

That play where Myles Turner was defending him and he reset the offense by dribbling outside the perimeter and then took the ball to the basket, got the lay-up and drew the foul was sick.

I think that's Hayward we were all expecting.

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 08:59:04 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
His basketball IQ is amazing.  I love watching him move without the ball. He is open a lot on his quick back cuts that should lead to easy baskets. But unfortunately he plays a lot with guys who don't pass well.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird