Author Topic: Major plot holes in Back to the Future trilogy.  (Read 4915 times)

Re: Major plot holes in Back to the Future trilogy.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »

Offline go11celtics

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
I think the time travel in Harry Potter worked way better

Actually there's a problem with Harry Potter too. We see an endless loop, however it couldn't possibly have started like that. How could Harry have saved himself if he died before he had the chance to go back in time? Obviously something different happened the first time around, yet that is never shown.
I was talking about when they saved Buckbeak

Well yeah, but it is still the same sequence. Then he saves himself from the dementors after buckbeak. Technically he should have died from the dementors before he had the chance to use the time turner.

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 11:26:23 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Actually there's a problem with Harry Potter too. We see an endless loop, however it couldn't possibly have started like that. How could Harry have saved himself if he died before he had the chance to go back in time? Obviously something different happened the first time around, yet that is never shown.

Well yeah, but it is still the same sequence. Then he saves himself from the dementors after buckbeak. Technically he should have died from the dementors before he had the chance to use the time turner.

It's just a bootstrap paradox, like being your own grandfather, or sending a cyborg back to the past to keep you alive. It's a pretty common trope in time-travel
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Anybody here watch 'rick and morty'?

It's kind of based off of the relationship of doc and marty.

They try to avoid the whole time traveling thing because of how complicated it can get, which is hilarious since Doc and Marty specialize in time travel

Great show
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 12:19:35 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
When Marty gets back from time travel (in the first one) would his name still be Marty?  If you're going to name your kid after the person responsible for getting you together in the first place I would think it would be your first son.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 04:14:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Oh yeah. Good point

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I suppose if there are 2 Delorians in 1885 the problem with Doc cannibalizing one is that he has to leave one in good working condition for Marty to discover in 1955 in the first place.

But I would think they could get around that by paying Tanner $80 (not easy in 1885 but doable), having Marty leave, then Doc can fix the car in 1885 and leave. If Marty was feeling adventurous he could even go to 1985, get the parts Doc needs and go back to 1885 and give it to him.

Then they leave behind a Delroian in good order for Marty in 1955 and just leave together to get back to 1985.

Seems easiest.