Poll

Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?

I wish we had made another decision
14 (35%)
I am still happy with his signing
26 (65%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?  (Read 15136 times)

Re: Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2019, 11:29:20 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I voted no because I think if Hayward had shown no interest then Ainge would have pulled the trigger on Paul George.

Oh man, if OKC tear it down, and we can trade Hayward and Tatum and Brown for PG? I probably say yes. And I'm in the never-trade-Hayward-camp.

I like PG more than Kawhi I think...

I can't believe Indiana got Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis out of that Paul George trade.

Could've offered them something like Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder and be done with it!
They wanted Crowder, Smart, and Boston's 1st (i.e. its own so a pick in the 20's).  Ainge didn't want to pull the trigger though because he was waiting on free agency and Hayward.

That's it?!?!  No wonder Ainge is having heart problems right now. 

He passed on an actual superstar so he could sign a guy who had one good season in his career to a max deal. SMH.

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Hindsight is so easy in making a decision.  I love Haywards game and the player.  I think if the C's never traded for Kyrie and only signed Hayward people would have different thoughts.  Kyrie and Hayward don't mesh.  It's easy to say we wish Hayward wasn't signed because he got hurt and is still playing his way back into form.  I think Hayward is a great player but would not work with guys like Kyrie, LBJ, Westbrook who dominate the ball.  Hayward fits CBS Basketball.  Move the ball, make the right pass and take the right shots.  Hayward fits Celtic Basketball.  Kyrie does not.

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Nah, picking Olynik over Giannis is by far the worst thing.

I mean...i'm pretty sure Giannis was better in HIGH SCHOOL than anything Olynik's done in the NBA.

About Hayward though...I try to be fair to him, but while people were so busy picking at Rozier, he was an absolute no-show in those 4 games and is probably what made Kyrie do his one- man show thing.

Him starting to play better is what made me...and Paul...believe we were gonna get the Bucks.

So he laid down for 4 games when it was time to get serious.

There is way more going on with him than something physical.  He is truly Danny's albatross...and probably karma for making Crowder the bad guy just to get a weak-minded player over the toughest player on the team.

Crowder had IT's back in every way and looked out for him, so IT had the confidence of 10 men out there.

Sooner or later Celts fans will come to understand intangibles...but probably as a lottery team.

« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It may be time to stop crying over spilled milk.

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I mean...i'm pretty sure Giannis was better in HIGH SCHOOL than anything Olynik's done in the NBA.

Not really. There is a reason Giannis was picked where he was. He was physically frail looking, skinny with no muscular bulk. His game was extremely raw...undeveloped. It showed his first couple years in the league.

Olynyk had decent bulk for a big, even if he wasn't strong, but had developed his skills and was playing at a high level in the NCAA. I think the year before the draft Olynyk was a better basketball player than Giannis. Giannis, as has been shown, obviously had a much higher ceiling but probably higher bust potential.

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2019, 01:04:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Plus half of Greek freaks game is refs allowing him to offensive foul. Who could have foreseen the NBA declaring he will be the next person to get star calls? I bet if he was wearing celtic green they would have never allowed him To do what he does in bucks

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2019, 01:18:51 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
Plus half of Greek freaks game is refs allowing him to offensive foul. Who could have foreseen the NBA declaring he will be the next person to get star calls? I bet if he was wearing celtic green they would have never allowed him To do what he does in bucks

It's even worse with the travelling. I have never seen anyone get so many non-calls from that.  I mean that man regularly takes 3 steps to the hoop, and I've seen them not call 4 steps, and even a few times 5 steps. I'm not kidding, I was just watching that yesterday.

And I also know how they do the Celts, because that's why I stopped watching the NBA completely after 2010.

So I agree completely.

But I would have NEVER drafted Olynik under any circumstances with any pick  EVER  :)

Zeller, Jerebko, Rj hunter, young, and countless others.  It's why i'm constantly at odds with Danny.

And I would have NEVER signed Hayward for that amount of money who is basically just a slightly taller Ron Mercer.

And I didn't even dislike Mercer. He atleast was more aggressive and had a talent of coming off picks alot.

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2019, 01:19:44 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

About Hayward though...I try to be fair to him, but while people were so busy picking at Rozier, he was an absolute no-show in those 4 games and is probably what made Kyrie do his one- man show thing.

Him starting to play better is what made me...and Paul...believe we were gonna get the Bucks.

So he laid down for 4 games when it was time to get serious.

There is way more going on with him than something physical.  He is truly Danny's albatross...and probably karma for making Crowder the bad guy just to get a weak-minded player over the toughest player on the team.

Crowder had IT's back in every way and looked out for him, so IT had the confidence of 10 men out there.

Sooner or later Celts fans will come to understand intangibles...but probably as a lottery team.

I wish I could frame this.  It's the smartest thing I've read on this site in quite a while. 

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:05 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
It may be time to stop crying over spilled milk.

Not when I have a nagging feeling they're getting ready to make a series of fatal mistakes.

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2019, 01:49:37 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I voted no because I think if Hayward had shown no interest then Ainge would have pulled the trigger on Paul George.

Oh man, if OKC tear it down, and we can trade Hayward and Tatum and Brown for PG? I probably say yes. And I'm in the never-trade-Hayward-camp.

I like PG more than Kawhi I think...

I can't believe Indiana got Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis out of that Paul George trade.

Could've offered them something like Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder and be done with it!
They wanted Crowder, Smart, and Boston's 1st (i.e. its own so a pick in the 20's).  Ainge didn't want to pull the trigger though because he was waiting on free agency and Hayward.

That's it?!?!  No wonder Ainge is having heart problems right now. 

He passed on an actual superstar so he could sign a guy who had one good season in his career to a max deal. SMH.

"one good season"???

Hayward had three straight excellent seasons before we signed him!  He posted 8.7, 8.9 & 10.4 Win Shares in those three seasons.

For comparison, Kyrie's last three seasons are:  8.9, 8.9 & 9.1 Win Shares.   Paul George's last three seasons have been:  7.1, 8.9 & 11.9 Win Shares.

Hayward, in his last three seasons at Utah was a legit, all-star quality player.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2019, 05:08:08 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

It's easy to be a genius in hindsight. Giannis was playing in the 2nd division of the Greek League when he was drafted. He was 6-9 and 190 pounds, not the monster he is today.

Here's what he looked like back then:

And here's a comparison of their rookie years:

Giannis' trajectory is one of the more remarkable ones in NBA history and he deserves credit for his improvement. But I'd suggest the Bucks weren't expecting him to turn into what he's turned into today back when they drafted him.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

It's easy to be a genius in hindsight. Giannis was playing in the 2nd division of the Greek League when he was drafted. He was 6-9 and 190 pounds, not the monster he is today.

Giannis' trajectory is one of the more remarkable ones in NBA history and he deserves credit for his improvement. But I'd suggest the Bucks weren't expecting him to turn into what he's turned into today back when they drafted him.

Agreed, you would have actually had to have watched Giannis play to know his athletic measurables were off the charts. 

Drafting a short-armed, white, non-Euro center, who didn't rebound or play defense made the most sense at the time.

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2019, 05:41:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Agreed, you would have actually had to have watched Giannis play to know his athletic measurables were off the charts. 

Drafting a short-armed, white, non-Euro center, who didn't rebound or play defense made the most sense at the time.

Do you have a link to Giannis' measurables being off the charts back in 2012? You've been here since 2007, do you have posts criticizing Danny for the wrong pick in 2012? I'm sure looking into your crystal ball here in the future it's easy to make that determination. A lot of teams passed on Giannis because at the time it was a big leap of faith. The very same people who are kicking Danny for not picking him would also be kicking him if Giannis didn't improve. I'm not defending the selection, but I can understand why it was made at the time. Olynyk was the safer bet, in hindsight it was the wrong bet. But hindsight makes geniuses out of some people like yourself and idiots out of others like Danny. How many others are idiots for not picking IT? 59 times he wasn't picked.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:46:32 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2019, 05:44:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Olynyk had decent bulk for a big, even if he wasn't strong, but had developed his skills and was playing at a high level in the NCAA.

Also, glaring athletic issues at times.

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Do you have a link to Giannis' measurables being off the charts back in 2012? You've been here since 2007, do you have posts criticizing Danny for the wrong pick in 2012? I'm sure looking into your crystal ball here in the future it's easy to make that determination. A lot of teams passed on Giannis because at the time it was a big leap of faith. The very same people who are kicking Danny for not picking him would also be kicking him if Giannis didn't improve. I'm not defending the selection, but I can understand why it was made at the time. Olynyk was the safer bet, in hindsight it was the wrong bet. But hindsight makes geniuses out of some people like yourself and idiots out of others like Danny. How many others are idiots for not picking IT? 59 times he wasn't picked.

I care about your well-being - as I care about all the members of Celticsblog so I'm warning you...

Do NOT click on this link unless you want to be really REALLY sad.

I'm only posting this because you explicitly asked for it. https://youtu.be/Oaw0_zw9LGs