Author Topic: i was absolutely fine with our moves so far....  (Read 14633 times)

i was absolutely fine with our moves so far....
« on: July 02, 2015, 01:25:22 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
until i just saw the completed deal between the 6ers and Kings.

for those that haven't seen yet, the 6ers absorb the contracts of Landry, Thompson, and Stauskus from the Kings and as a thank you for doing so, get the rights to swap 1sts with Sacto this year, next year, and get Sac's 2018 1st rounder outright.

i trusted danny, i always gave him the benefit of the doubt in believing that he would at least try for the big options first, that he was doing what was in the best interest of this team and aiming high to start, while knowing he'd be rebuffed, and settling eventually on lesser players.  for example, i thought he'd try to get a meeting with Love, get told no, and go all in on Tobias, and if that fell through as well that would be what leads us to the signings of Johnson, Crowder, and Jonas like we've done.  now, i just don't think he's earned that benefit of the doubt.

this trade was obviously sitting there to be made.  i'm aware the pipe dream was that things would not work out for the Kings and that eventually we'd be right back in the race for Cousins when they decide to unload him.  But you CAN NOT let a division rival get that deal while you toil away signing a midlevel, undersized center, and re-signing your own ok but not great FAs.

I was the biggest critic of Hinkie and the 6ers 'plan' here, but this certainly shuts me up.  they were able to do in a single night with just cap space, what it took us having to trade away KG, Pierce, and Terry to do, and they were able to do it for what will most likely be better picks.  It can't be that Hinkie is that much better of a negotiator than Ainge.  maybe he's just more prudent at working the phones?  you have to believe Sacto was willing to do this deal with any Eastern Conference team that had cap space, with an eye towards being able to add some FAs of their own.  how is our GM seemingly not aware that this deal is out there for the taking?  or worse, does he actually think our guys + Amir Johnson provides more long term value to our franchise?

Regardless, i was a huge Danny Ainge fan, and i believed that his plan was that, having no better options out there, sign the guys we have, and coast to a 30-35 win season, and improve our stock in the lottery with the picks we hae next year (don't forget, a lot still had to go right in both camps for both Brooklyn and ourselves to make the playoffs this past season, the odds of that happening again aren't that high).  however, now, i think this may be the last straw

Re: i was absolutely fine with our moves so far....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:34:19 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I don't think we get the same offer. Swapping picks with them and us would be a big difference.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:40:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Give Hinkie credit, that trade is a gem.  On par with how Ainge used the Pierce TPE to add Zeller.  Might end up better.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:46:32 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The 76ers having the ability to swap with your picks the next 2 years and the Celtics being able to do it are two fairly different things right now.  The 76ers will probably only benefit from that if the Kings leapfrog them into the top 3.  That alone makes us less likely to get the same offer.

That said this is a pretty lousy deal for Sacramento - the risk to reward is awful - but what else is new?

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 01:52:01 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
It was fine considering their stage of the rebuild process, but I doubt the pick swaps actually help them right?
So they essentially got Stauskas and what could be a good first rounder in 2018 for taking back some junk.
I don't think we're  in a position to take back bums like Landry and Thompson with our roster while we already have Wallace.
Nice move by hinkie but Ainge didn't miss out on anything here.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 01:53:19 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I don't think we get the same offer. Swapping picks with them and us would be a big difference.

This.  It's very possible, even likely, that those swap rights are never used.  There's not a chance Sacto would have given us the pick swaps.  That said, I would have taken on Landry and Thompson just for Sauce and the first rounder.  This was a better use of cap space than signing Amir Johnson.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 01:55:09 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
It was fine considering their stage of the rebuild process, but I doubt the pick swaps actually help them right?
So they essentially got Stauskas and what could be a good first rounder in 2018 for taking back some junk.
I don't think we're  in a position to take back bums like Landry and Thompson with our roster while we already have Wallace.

If you think the 76ers will continue to suck like a Hoover for the next couple of years, it lessens the import of the switch.  If you think the 76ers will be improving, the switch of picks becomes more significant.

I don't expect the 76ers to suck like a Hoover all the way through 2018.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 01:56:16 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
The pick swap part is a right the 6ers get, not the Kings. And the only reason it's there is that Sac can't trade their picks outright because they have a top 10 protected pick heading out either next year or the year after.

But that's not really the point anyway - this is about another team fleecing the Kings. And I'm sure every other GM in the league is wishing they had been able to do so.

A lot like how they all reacted when Brooklyn mortgaged their future to Boston for KG & Pierce.

The Kings are in an obvious tailspin - I'm sure every team has been working their phones overtime, trying to take advantage of their ridiculous management. This time Philly came out on top. Can't knock Ainge for that.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:59:12 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

If you think the 76ers will continue to suck like a Hoover for the next couple of years, it lessens the import of the switch.  If you think the 76ers will be improving, the switch of picks becomes more significant.

I do expect them to suck this season and next season though, which is when the pick swaps occur.
2018 it turns into a protected pick.
not that great imo
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 02:02:12 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I do expect them to suck this season and next season though, which is when the pick swaps occur.
not that great imo

Unless Noel or Okafor get hurt for the whole season(s), Philly should be a much better team this year than last, and should be even better next year.  That's not even counting on Embid.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 02:04:15 AM »

Offline Croc Hunter

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
They have zero guard or wing talent that will propel them into an average team let alone a really good one in the next few years.

All their big men they got with all these good picks are nothing more than "potential" at this stage, they haven't delivered anything as yet.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 02:15:08 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

not that great imo

Unless Noel or Okafor get hurt for the whole season(s), Philly should be a much better team this year than last, and should be even better next year.  That's not even counting on Embid.

Okafur and Embiid are rookies.
Sacto are going after free agents. Do you honestly think that the 76ers will finish better than the Kings for the next two seasons?

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 02:18:56 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
The west is sooooo much better. It's hard to stay terrible in the east.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 02:19:22 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Another Hinkie special. Kings will probably be in back in the lottery so those picks could be potential gold if the ping pong balls are kind. I like that gamble and maybe Stauskas ends up being pretty good. Sixers are far from contending but yeah that's a good trade for renting out cap space. Kinda of jelly

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 02:25:54 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Im fine with paying a career 7 and 6 guy 12 mil a year as well a guy who sat the bench half the time 5 mil a year ..

I think Ainge smoked those "fireworks".