Author Topic: Ten Thoughts From Game 1  (Read 21535 times)

Re: Ten Thoughts From Game 1
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:19 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
After all the talk about minutes this summer I'm glad to come away from game 1 feeling like Brad has it all figured out. There's a clear 9-man rotation that's going to play about 20-30 mpg and he's not going to stray from those 9 guys.

The starters will play around 30 mpg, with Hayward playing fewer minutes until he's ready. Baynes played 19 minutes last night, which is exactly what he averaged last season. That leaves 23-24 mpg for Terry, Smart, and Morris.

And that's it. The real sacrifice in minutes are going to come from the fringes. Ojeleye, Yabu, and Wanamaker effectively didn't play. Theis got a couple of non-garbage minutes (which I was glad to see) but he's not part of the rotation.

Save for injuries, we just aren't going to have bench guys who come in and play 5-10 minutes. Brad has his tight 9 and he's going to stick with it.

TP.  This is a great point.  I was worried how we would find minutes for all these guys, and someone like Morris I was thinking was a luxury on this team, but he seems to fit a role. 

If everyone buys in they might get roughly 5 less minutes, and less shots than they would ideally like, but still plenty of enough to go around.  Guys like Semi and Larkin’s role from last year (Wanamaker) will get squeezed out. Theis may only play spot minutes for now.

It’s a long season though, injuries will happen, so there will be opportunities for some players to shine more.  What I love is no one player needs to carry the team.  If Tatum has a game like the games he played in the preseason,  no big deal as we have so many weapons that can step up.

I love our 9 man rotation from game 1 where our best guys get 20-30 minutes each and they mix and match among each other. 

Something to remember is that Theis is still coming back from injury- he might push the rotation to 10 when/if he gets back to form.  However, I'd rather see RW3 get those minutes. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
After all the talk about minutes this summer I'm glad to come away from game 1 feeling like Brad has it all figured out. There's a clear 9-man rotation that's going to play about 20-30 mpg and he's not going to stray from those 9 guys.

The starters will play around 30 mpg, with Hayward playing fewer minutes until he's ready. Baynes played 19 minutes last night, which is exactly what he averaged last season. That leaves 23-24 mpg for Terry, Smart, and Morris.

And that's it. The real sacrifice in minutes are going to come from the fringes. Ojeleye, Yabu, and Wanamaker effectively didn't play. Theis got a couple of non-garbage minutes (which I was glad to see) but he's not part of the rotation.

Save for injuries, we just aren't going to have bench guys who come in and play 5-10 minutes. Brad has his tight 9 and he's going to stick with it.

TP.  This is a great point.  I was worried how we would find minutes for all these guys, and someone like Morris I was thinking was a luxury on this team, but he seems to fit a role. 

If everyone buys in they might get roughly 5 less minutes, and less shots than they would ideally like, but still plenty of enough to go around.  Guys like Semi and Larkin’s role from last year (Wanamaker) will get squeezed out. Theis may only play spot minutes for now.

It’s a long season though, injuries will happen, so there will be opportunities for some players to shine more.  What I love is no one player needs to carry the team.  If Tatum has a game like the games he played in the preseason,  no big deal as we have so many weapons that can step up.

I love our 9 man rotation from game 1 where our best guys get 20-30 minutes each and they mix and match among each other. 

Something to remember is that Theis is still coming back from injury- he might push the rotation to 10 when/if he gets back to form.  However, I'd rather see RW3 get those minutes.
You don’t think the better player should get those minutes?  Or you think Williams is better than Theis?

« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

You don’t think the better player should get those minutes?  Or you think Williams is better than Theis?

I think based on what I saw from Williams in college and what we've all seen in flashes so far, that if he can get a little PT that helps him develop and get acclimated to the NBA game, he could easily bring more to the table than Theis, and things no one else brings, by the playoffs.

I don't think Theis brings enough to justify extending the rotation in the playoffs, when it might in fact get shorter.  But if RW3 grows this year and can play the role of a mini Capella who sets great screens and knows the plays, he might play. 

Theis is better now, but I don't see his best cutting it.  I'd take a chance on RW3.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
One thing that stood out to me in game 1 is Brown's lack of BBall IQ

In many occasions he can make a better choice but he chose the bad one and got blocked or turned it over badly

Meanwhile his strength and athleticism is undeniable (along with his shooting), the dunk on Embiid is the perfect example, he is supposed to get embarrassed but instead he pulled it out

It's not saying Brown is a bad player in anyway but more of a frustration seeing how much he is getting limited and is going to be limited by his lack of BBall IQ, he can easily got 20 instead if 12 in that game and made his name on the media with Tatum

One can not resist but to think only if he can spend his time working on that game knowledge/concepts instead speaking in MIT

It's not like Brown was a slouch in the off-season...

Excuse me, do you personally know Brown outside of the Celtic forums? So how can you make such a outlandish statement? He trained with Hardaway, and McGrady, and played pick up basketball overseas... Once Brown improves his ball handling, we'll see a noticeable difference... And it's the first game lol.
I know you are a Brown fan boy but it's pretty obvious his lack of BBall IQ is holding him back

Its not obvious at all. Where is he lacking bbiq wise? Hes in the right spot defensively a majority of the time, he is not a high turnover guy, his shot selections is exactly what you want from a modern wing. As far as I can tell he gets the low bbiq label because hes not a good passer, thats as much about a lack of skill as it is any deficiency in IQ. I expect he will improve in time as he has with his defense, ball handling and shooting. Even against Phili we saw him make a couple kick out passes off drives he didnt last season.

In shirt the low bbiq thing is massively overated, he needs to improve his on ball skill but given his age and improvement so far he will. Question is by how much
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:35:07 AM by keevsnick »