Poll

What is your preference: wait for FA with minor trades or BIG TRADE NOW?

Free Agency with some minor trades now
16 (59.3%)
Big Deal Now!!
11 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: POLL: Free Agency or Big Trade Now!!!  (Read 897 times)

POLL: Free Agency or Big Trade Now!!!
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This board seems pretty divided into the" Boogie Regret" camp and the "thank god, no Boogie camp".

It also seems that there is a correlation between the "Boogie Regret" camp and wanting to do a big deal now and the "thank god, no Boogie camp" and the wait for Free Agency.

But there is plenty of room in the middle. I'm there.

I wanted us to get Cousins and am disappointed (although I still adhere to the idea that those GMs knew a lot more about Cousins than we do).

However, despite being disappointed, I don't feel that burn to have to use any of our core assets (IT/Horford/Smart/Bradley/Crowder/Brown, BK'17, BK'18) to score Butler or George or any big-game right now just to scratch that itch.

I understand people's emotions on this. In our minds we missed out on something that we've coveted for a long time and we immediately want to feel better and fill that void by getting something else new and shiny.

Waiting for FA gives us a chance to get Griffin/Hayward/Milsap FOR FREE. We get to keep all our core assets and either roll with them or trade the ones our FA makes redundant. If we strike out in FA, we still have all the assets that we have now, including the BK picks to make a big trade at a time historically when more players are available for trade.

Do a couple of small deals now. I'd like 2 of Tucker, TJones, Okafor, Kyle O'Quinn.

Where do you stand?

EDIT: Regarding Butler and the Fakers:" Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!!!" What the Fakers do or don't do with Butler should have absolutely NO bearing on what we do.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:32:27 PM by csfansince60s »

Re: POLL: Free Agency or Big Trade Now!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:08:21 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Free agency.

The C's are in a very interesting position, where they are one of the top teams in the NBA, but not yet an elite team.  They have great assets that, while I will acknowledge are not guarantees, could help them be a serious threat for years to come.  In addition to this they have an opportunity to sign a max contract player this upcoming off season.

Ainge and Stevens have both stated that they want to build a successful team for many years to come, and I think that all begins this free agency.  When you look at the situation as adding a top 4 pick this year, potentially a top free agent, next years Nets pick, and continuing to develop our young talents alongside our veterans than the future looks very bright in Boston for many years.

However, on the flip side of this, the team as currently constructed does not look like they can compete with the upper echelon of elite teams in the NBA (cue KG's "Anything is possible!").  I understand why some would want to make the big splash now, but doing so would appear to come at the expense of our future flexibility in terms of both our assets and cap space.

Personally I'm just not ready to sacrifice that future window for the names that are being thrown around, though again, I understand that some feel that is the best route to take.  I believe this upcoming off season will be the true telling moment.  If the C's can sign a top free agent and still hold on to those draft picks than we will have plenty of reasons to celebrate!

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Great question. I'm all for a big trade now IF we're somehow able to keep the core together. ( Isaiah, Crowder, Horford , Bradley) if somehow we could get our hands on a legit superstar and are able to hold on to those 4. I say trade NOW.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
If you can land an all star on a multi-year deal (George/Butler) I say do it now. Not only does it help build the team chemistry earlier but with the cap rising, their contracts become relatively cheaper.

I don't know how much butler's contract is but if it's 20m/yr, that would still be cheaper than Horford's current 28m or a potential Hayward/Griffin's 30m/yr contract.
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:34:12 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Free Agency, I like Danny and Brad choosing just who the team goes forward with. No sideway moves.

I'm very hyped on this years NBA draft too.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Big trade at a reasonable price.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 08:47:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1764
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Absolutely free agency. I would have been in favor of a Cousins deal - especially at the reported price - but it didn't happen and it's time to move on.

Keeping Jaylen, Smart, and the BKN picks along with being able to sign Hayward or Griffin outright is what Danny has been working towards for so long. I can't see a scenario where he trades multiple top tier assets along with giving up cap space for a player like Butler, who likely won't push us over the top this season.

If we are unable to sign a major FA this summer, then players like Butler will still be available for trade. High draft picks and great young players never go out of style and there are always teams ready to rebuild.

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Free Agency, I like Danny and Brad choosing just who the team goes forward with. No sideway moves.

I'm very hyped on this years NBA draft too.

I agree about the draft.

If we can keep the pick and get a FA, that's gold. That's low risk, high reward.

If we crap out in FA, we still have the assets to make a big trade at a time when more people are on the market.