Author Topic: NBA Season 2018 - 2019  (Read 206502 times)

Re: NBA Season 2018 - 2019
« Reply #1365 on: February 23, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
You are right ... Bball is not is easy to officiate but there are more than obvious calls that the refs miss in crunch time and very often determine results 

They are supposed to be trained to avoid mistakes anyone could see.

Players are so big and fast these days I wonder if it’s time to revisit the whole 3 refs idea, and they run the whole game without a break like the players get.  Maybe have 2 refs on each side, and they get a little bit of a mental break when the ball is on the other side of the court.
Going from 3 to 4 refs would be the simplest and likely a very effective step for the league could take.

« Reply #1366 on: February 23, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
You are right ... Bball is not is easy to officiate but there are more than obvious calls that the refs miss in crunch time and very often determine results 

Players are so big and fast these days I wonder if it’s time to revisit the whole 3 refs idea, and they run the whole game without a break like the players get.  Maybe have 2 refs on each side, and they get a little bit of a mental break when the ball is on the other side of the court.
Going from 3 to 4 refs would be the simplest and likely a very effective step for the league could take.

The things that bother me most aren't the missed calls that adding another ref would address. What bothers me are the ways they've decided to call certain things. Deciding that the Harden step back isn't a travel (it definitely is) is bad. Deciding to not call Harden for offensive fouls when he initiates contact is bad. I would change the way charges are called as well, giving more leeway to an offensive player who has already picked up his dribble before a defender jumps in front of him.

There will always be missed calls. But there are institutional decisions I'd like to see changed.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1367 on: February 23, 2019, 11:21:12 AM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I may be wrong, but I think they tried this in the G League and found it didn't help.  I would prefer if they experimented with a 4th "booth" ref.  Part of the issue may be perspective.  Things that seem so obvious to the viewer are often missed by refs.  At the same time, some things that seem obvious to us as viewers may not always be accurate.  I thought Tatum was fouled by Giannis on the dunk attempt until I saw the replay.   I imagine you could try trial runs where you have a booth ref making calls in real time, but don't actually count.   Then you could review after the fact to determine the accuracy rate.

Another idea that would enhance fairness (while killing the entertainment factor) is to award compensatory free throws for missed calls at the end of each half.

« Reply #1368 on: February 23, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

The things that bother me most aren't the missed calls that adding another ref would address. What bothers me are the ways they've decided to call certain things. Deciding that the Harden step back isn't a travel (it definitely is) is bad. Deciding to not call Harden for offensive fouls when he initiates contact is bad. I would change the way charges are called as well, giving more leeway to an offensive player who has already picked up his dribble before a defender jumps in front of him.

There will always be missed calls. But there are institutional decisions I'd like to see changed.

I think I might agree with this.  The NBA defending their no travel call on Beal was a slap in the face.

« Reply #1369 on: February 23, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Another close game, another instance of NBA officials affecting the outcome of games with their incompetence  ::)

I know you're just riffing, but NBA reffing g seems really difficult, do you think you (or someone else) could do a better job?

The problem is consistency, as officiating standards seemingly change from ref to ref, player to player, game to game, and even quarter to quarter. They have too big of a role in the game, as the rules have been strategically manipulated to favor a certain type of play that the refs are then instructed to enforce.

If the league really wanted to fix the officiating problem, then I think they should actually REDUCE the refs’ level of involvement in games, as the more involvement they have in the game the greater variance and inconsistency there will be. Let these grown men play and limit the scope of ref involvement to provide a more consistent standard.

I know a lot of our comments are hurled at individual refs (though some of them truly are awful and/or biased to certain players/styles), but I think it’s the NBA’s current officiating philosophy that is the main problem.

« Reply #1370 on: February 23, 2019, 11:27:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Pretty much this. I think this is a higher level issue with the entire officiating philosophy that is completely driven toward favoring both stars and a certain type of offensive-oriented play.

« Reply #1371 on: February 23, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Nice to see IT put up 16 in just 15 minutes.

If he is pain-free I think he’s going to be a huge weapon in Denver.

People (especially here, for some bizarre reason) can bash his height or defense, but there’s no denying his heart and talent.

Hope he can return to his pre-injury status as an elite player in this league. He’s got a ways to go, but I won’t count him out.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #1372 on: February 23, 2019, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

People (especially here, for some bizarre reason) can bash his height or defense, but there’s no denying his heart and talent.

Hope he can return to his pre-injury status as an elite player in this league. He’s got a ways to go, but I won’t count him out.

Great snag for Denver. Always should be a heater off the bench. Go IT4. He would probably be here if we didn't choose Bird, but hindsight and all.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1373 on: February 23, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Great snag for Denver. Always should be a heater off the bench. Go IT4. He would probably be here if we didn't choose Bird, but hindsight and all.

I'd love to see IT help Denver go on a nice little run in the playoffs and then get paid decently in the offseason (either by DEN or another team). If the Nuggets happen to meet the Lakers 1st round, then obviously hope he can help them there.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1374 on: February 23, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL Anthony Davis is out for "rest" against... the Lakers tonight  :P

« Reply #1375 on: February 23, 2019, 03:18:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Man the nba has a lot of things suggesting things are not being done on the up and up. On the plus side these shanigans will help lakers make playoffs over Kings (although I am worrying spurs are collapsing and both could make it)

« Reply #1376 on: February 23, 2019, 04:03:07 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Man the nba has a lot of things suggesting things are not being done on the up and up. On the plus side these shanigans will help lakers make playoffs over Kings (although I am worrying spurs are collapsing and both could make it)

Derrick White came back last night after missing five games. He’s crucial for them.

« Reply #1377 on: February 23, 2019, 05:02:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Derrick White came back last night after missing five games. He’s crucial for them.

The West will definitely have drama between the 5-8 seeds. I think the Top-4 is honestly what it will be come April (in order: Golden State, Denver, OKC, Portland). But the 5th seeded Rockets are just 1 game ahead of the 8 seed, and Lakers are the 10 seed but a manageable 3 games back of the 8 seed.

I feel anything can happen honestly. I still am confident Houston and Utah in some order maintain the 5th or 6th seeds. But after that, the 7-8 seeds will be a dogfight between four teams.

« Reply #1378 on: February 23, 2019, 09:24:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Randle punishing the Fakers  for trading him ..

Lakers should have kept Russell and Randle , got rid of Ingram and Never signed LeBum and his mob camp

« Reply #1379 on: February 23, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Wrong thread.