Author Topic: Gordon Hayward season offensive high lights. This guy can BALL!  (Read 3051 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Adding this guy and Morris is going to make us so much better.
This guy is a weapon on the offensive end. So silky and smooth and patient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88wieuY9Tzo
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Gordon Hayward season offensive high lights. This guy can BALL!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I can't believe how little respect he gets around here. I think he will be our best overall player next year. This isn't a disrespect to IT and his awesome TS% year, but Hayward basically gives you positives at his position. He is a top what, 7 or 8(possibly higher) offensive SF, while being a good defensive 6'8 wing. He also brings a level of athleticism to the SF spot that short of Brown, we don't have on our squad. Hayward is a legit lob target.

By just adding Hayward, we get a multi faceted offense. This next year is going to be amazing.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It's so true. Just the other day someone posted that he was a notch below George and Butler. That's simply not true. Quite honestly, I prefer his game to both. He doesn't take as many contested jumpers as George and he gives much more effort on the defensive end. He's a much better shooter than Butler and also doesn't dribble the air out of the ball like Butler does. Hayward is such a sound player who really doesn't have a weakness. He's a willing passer and is excellent in moving off the ball.

I truly think he's underrated because of the way he looks. People seem to assume that's he's an unathletic guy that's a matador on D, which is so far from the truth.

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It's so true. Just the other day someone posted that he was a notch below George and Butler. That's simply not true. Quite honestly, I prefer his game to both. He doesn't take as many contested jumpers as George and he gives much more effort on the defensive end. He's a much better shooter than Butler and also doesn't dribble the air out of the ball like Butler does. Hayward is such a sound player who really doesn't have a weakness. He's a willing passer and is excellent in moving off the ball.

I truly think he's underrated because of the way he looks. People seem to assume that's he's an unathletic guy that's a matador on D, which is so far from the truth.
Agree entirely, TP.

All of those people who viewed Hayward as a step down from George all offseason were doing my head in.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 10:29:28 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Looks like a smaller Larry Bird 8)

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 11:11:33 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Great highlights.  Couple thoughts:
1) Love that he looks to dunk in traffic and on people.  Didn't know he had that edge.
2) Scored in a ton of different ways and all over the court.
3) Really liked how he sought out and finished through contact on drives...and also how he would take an extra step to remain balanced and then finish in close.
4) Crowder can be as salty as he wants but he's not in Haywards universe as a player.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:12:53 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WOW the dude is a taller IT.

He finishes with the right hand, the left hand, and both hand jams. His step back jumper is smooth, and he can also stop on a dime and hit the J.

CBS is going to roll defenses with IT and GH tormenting opponents next season.

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think he's a complete player who will fit into an existing team well (not a huge ego) and will put forth a really solid effort. Definitely a good 2nd tier wing who could be the 2nd/3rd best player on a championship team. Playing for his college coach is definitely an advantage. Chemistry is underrated- look at Chicago, the Knicks, etc

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 11:58:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I love how nothing seems forced when he has the ball in hand. He's always composed and takes what's there, as opposed to throwing up low percentage shots.

So rapt we have him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 01:02:57 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
If Markelle Fultz was 6'7", a little quicker, and had a slicker haircut, he would be Gordon Hayward.

Seriously, they both have the controlled, "go to the open space, not a predetermined spot" style of play that gives defenders fits. It's amazing to watch.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 06:20:27 AM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
Great highlights.  Couple thoughts:
1) Love that he looks to dunk in traffic and on people.  Didn't know he had that edge.
2) Scored in a ton of different ways and all over the court.
3) Really liked how he sought out and finished through contact on drives...and also how he would take an extra step to remain balanced and then finish in close.
4) Crowder can be as salty as he wants but he's not in Hayward's universe as a player.
I also like how he takes the right decision and for the most part gets a relatively clean, simple look (OK, there are a couple of circus shots). Compare to Tatum, where most highlights are contested, difficult shots. Sure, people are impressed when they still go in. But I'm more impressed with players like Hayward who make hard things look simple.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I love that he finishes through contact strong.
I love that he has a killer step back on the drive making the defender think.
I love how he uses his body just like IT4 to shield the defender on the drive.
I love his stroke from anywhere on the floor.

Going to be a fun year.
ok fine

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Very comparable if you just look at weight and height:

Bird 6'9" 220
Hay 6'8" 226

Looks to me like Gordon is longer...

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 12:52:42 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Very comparable if you just look at weight and height:

Bird 6'9" 220
Hay 6'8" 226

Looks to me like Gordon is longer...

Actually the last wingspan measurement for Hayward is the 2010 combine. His wingspan was a hair under 6'8 which means he is basically the opposite of long. It blows my mind that he finishes the way he does with his arms.
#JKJB

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 01:04:50 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Agree entirely, TP.

All of those people who viewed Hayward as a step down from George all offseason were doing my head in.

Inranking them, the defense to me has been the biggest question. To the advanced stats and the eye test, George was a much better defender a few years ago. Much. In the last two years, especially this past year, the advanced stats actually like Hayward better(!) hayward's gains in strength and George's falloff since his injury each played a part.

If they continue to be about equal on D, or Hayward even starts to gain separation, he's clearly at least as good, probably better. But that's still unknown. We're going to see how much of Hayward's success is intrinsic, or at least portable, and how much was a function of playing with an intimidating front line behind him. Really hoping for good news here.