Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120881 times)

Re: Marcus Smart at $12-$14 million per year?
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I see there's a similar thread that was here already and I didn't see it.

I want to apologize to the moderators for posting a similar thread. Sorry...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Re: Smart to ESPN: "i'm worth more than $14 mill a year" Goner?
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Very likely that Smart is gone.

Teams have to be very particular about giving big contracts to mid level players. You get into the tax, a guy like Smart will wind up costing you as much as a max player.

Last night, tons of minutes, tons of opportunities with 2 stars out of the lineup, and Smart lays an egg.

The Celtics won't pay him $12 million, and no other team likely will either. His only chance at that much is if some team short of the minimum needs some place to dump a little extra $ on a one year deal.

« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Will this help Danny be comfortable in matching that price point?

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/17/celtics-co-owner-wyc-grousbeck-ready-to/

For those that were concerned that the frugal Bostonians heading the Boston Celtics front office would be reluctant to pay the price of keeping their deep and talented core in tact, there’s no need. On Wednesday, Celtics co-owner Wycliffe Grousbeck appeared on 98.5 The Sports Hub and, when asked if the Celtics will pay deep into the luxury tax to keep theteam together in the future, said he’s hoping to “pay for performance” and “we are prepared to do whatever it takes to win again”.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2018, 01:27:17 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
K thanks bye ;D.

IN DANNY WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I feel like we're going to give Smart the 6m QO.  Then we'll offer an extension something like 3/36 or 4/44.  Take it or leave it Marcus because I don't think any other team will make a bigger offer.

If he doesn't sign the extension, he'll probably find out that he made a Nerlens Noel mistake - overvalue your own worth, turn down the money, and find yourself in limbo and regretting that decision.

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
if he doesn't get a high enough offer he might sign the QO, Rozier is as a capable backup and hedge on Kyrie despite game 7 where smart was not much better. If he moves on should mean that the c's would be free to spend the full mle.

Re: Marcus Smart at $12-$14 million per year?
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
It doesn’t matter what he thinks he’s worth at this time. It’s what the market thinks he’s worth. His thinking might also lead to him turning down smaller offers or him signing the qualifying offer. So it might lead to a Nerlens Noel type of situation. I’d love to retain him because IMO he’s the heart and soul of this team.

« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2018, 01:36:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
if he doesn't get a high enough offer he might sign the QO, Rozier is as a capable backup and hedge on Kyrie despite game 7 where smart was not much better. If he moves on should mean that the c's would be free to spend the full mle.

He will get somebody to offer 12-13 million per season

But I don't think the Celts will match it.  He is a bench player at the end of the day in the Celts lineup. Same with Rozier

Celts hope he signs the 1 year QO, but if Smart feels like that won't improve his money making capabilities the season after (BC he will be coming off the bench). 

I think he signs with the first team that offers anywhere north of 12 million for 3 years +. Then tries to pad stats in search of more money for the contract after

« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Wouldn't it be interesting if Smart and Isaiah team up again

Magic for example could sign both (13-15 million each)  to be the teams backcourt next season.

« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Not sure how anyone who focuses on Smarts “intangible” plays, never realizes that the reality is that his poor shooting percentages and turnovers outweigh the handful of gritty plays he makes to create a second chance or steal.

His shooting is that bad, that 9 tomes out of 10, it is a mulligan at best in my eyes. The games that we barely win by because of one or two “Marcus Smart heads up plays” would have been easy wins if the missed/forced shots went to other players who can actually make them consistently.

There isn’t ome Celtics fan out there who doesn’t cringe/shout out loud “Nooooo” every time Smart catches a pass in a set position behind the 3-pt line. Admit it!

How then, are we talking about throwing even TEN million a year for a player that is such an offensive liability?

I’m sure Smart will get a $14 million/yr offer, but it will be from a team like Sacramento or Atlanta who actually REPEL the top free-agents in the league, and have to settle for over-paying the mediocrity of the league.

« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2018, 01:43:54 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Not sure how anyone who focuses on Smarts “intangible” plays, never realizes that the reality is that his poor shooting percentages and turnovers outweigh the handful of gritty plays he makes to create a second chance or steal.

His shooting is that bad, that 9 tomes out of 10, it is a mulligan at best in my eyes. The games that we barely win by because of one or two “Marcus Smart heads up plays” would have been easy wins if the missed/forced shots went to other players who can actually make them consistently.

There isn’t ome Celtics fan out there who doesn’t cringe/shout out loud “Nooooo” every time Smart catches a pass in a set position behind the 3-pt line. Admit it!

How then, are we talking about throwing even TEN million a year for a player that is such an offensive liability?

I’m sure Smart will get a $14 million/yr offer, but it will be from a team like Sacramento or Atlanta who actually REPEL the top free-agents in the league, and have to settle for over-paying the mediocrity of the league.

Lol oh every time I see him hovering around the perimeter I cringe. I know that he wants to CHUCK a 3 right there.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Sacramento already has Fox and Hield.  Atlanta could be a possible destination if Schroeder is traded

I think the Magic for some reason will pursue Smart. Along with Thomas

« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
More of a chance hell freezes over and Bron becomes the "king of hell" than us giving Smart 14M+....NOT......A.......CHANCE!

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Celts hope he signs the 1 year QO, but if Smart feels like that won't improve his money making capabilities the season after (BC he will be coming off the bench). 

This is a good point. He was playing big minutes for most of the year and all of the playoffs, and he had some incredible performances (the Harden game, etc.).

His value is at its highest now. Hard to believe he doesn't just sign the best offer he can get.