Author Topic: Donovan Mitchell vs Jamal Murray  (Read 2283 times)

Donovan Mitchell vs Jamal Murray
« on: August 31, 2020, 07:47:47 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The Jazz-Nuggets series is 3-3 and goes to a game 7 with two 23-year old guards emerging as stars. Mitchell and Murray are just putting up amazing performances, how special is this:

NameMPGPPGRPGAPGTOVA/TSTLBLKPFFG%3PM3P%FT%TS%
Donovan Mitchell36.838.74.35.53.31.71.20.21.354.85.255.494.672.7
Jamal Murray37.534.06.26.72.03.30.50.33.358.55.257.491.372.8

Re: Donovan Mitchell vs Jamal Murray
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 08:24:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
they are so much alike in skills i am aways getting them confused, and on the wrong team.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 08:44:10 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The matchup between them was the thing I was most excited about this series. But I had no idea it was going to be this good.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Defense? I expected Murray to struggle defending Mitchell, but for Mitchell's reputation, I didn't think he'd let him get to 50 again in the series.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 09:17:23 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
It's been truly unbelievable to watch and one of the best individual matchups I can remember in a playoff series.
The pool of PG's in the NBA is so strong right now, has there ever been a more dominant group at one position in NBA History?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:49:04 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:18:51 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Defense? I expected Murray to struggle defending Mitchell, but for Mitchell's reputation, I didn't think he'd let him get to 50 again in the series.

The NBA doesn't want teams playing tough defense.  Offense puts butts in seats.

The rules have been manipulated to achieve this end.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
It's been truly unbelievable to watch and one of the best individual matchups I can remember in a playoff series.
The pool of PG's in the NBA is so strong right now, has there ever been a more dominant group in one position in NBA History?

Center in the 1960s and 70s, maybe? But I  take your point.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 12:34:44 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Defense BOOM BOOM Defense BOOM BOOM Defense !!
ok fine

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 12:46:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
i d like to see Lillard with Tatum and Brown one day.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 12:56:46 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Any reason we should be regretting taking Brown over Murray?  I'm thinking no.  Despite Murray's obvious offensive talents, I don't see him meshing with Tatum like Brown does.  Not to mention the clear defensive superiority that Brown has.  Curious what others think.

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Any reason we should be regretting taking Brown over Murray?  I'm thinking no.  Despite Murray's obvious offensive talents, I don't see him meshing with Tatum like Brown does.  Not to mention the clear defensive superiority that Brown has.  Curious what others think.

I love JB. No one is guarding in the west. The defense has been bad even Utah. It seems like a shooting/layup drill in those games so it's hard to judge. I'm more surprised that The Jazz won three games than anything else. Denver has a much more talented team.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 03:10:41 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Nah. I admit that I don't think Brown is the playmaker Murray is, even though he is averaging more ppg. Brown is getting to be a really, really good scorer in transition, at the basket, in the mid-range/floaters, and from three. I also think he will keep getting better as a scorer and playmaker for the next 3-4 seasons. He's on a Jimmy Butler trajectory.

Brown's defense is admittedly inconsistent, but it still is on average pretty good. There's also no one in the NBA that is better on defense when he locks in. No one. You heard me. No one. Leonard from a few years ago was better, but no one in the modern NBA is better. Not Green. Not George. Not Smart. Not Giannis. Brown can absolutely shut down anyone in the NBA. In big moments against the best competition he rises. He's done it again and again against guards, wings, and bigs. He hasn't quite proven this yet on a national narrative level, but I could definitely see him proving himself this off-season.

I think Murray is a really good player, but the Cs are happy with their pick.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I agree with you. The fit with Tatum and Brown is really good, and it is only going to be getting better as both improve.  DA hit the ball out of the park on both picks, and the Smart pick was pretty good as well.  All 3 drafted and home grown / groomed.  If Timelord and Langford can improve in the next couple years to be solid bench or starters DA should be given a freakin medal.

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Nah. I admit that I don't think Brown is the playmaker Murray is, even though he is averaging more ppg. Brown is getting to be a really, really good scorer in transition, at the basket, in the mid-range/floaters, and from three. I also think he will keep getting better as a scorer and playmaker for the next 3-4 seasons. He's on a Jimmy Butler trajectory.

Brown's defense is admittedly inconsistent, but it still is on average pretty good. There's also no one in the NBA that is better on defense when he locks in. No one. You heard me. No one. Leonard from a few years ago was better, but no one in the modern NBA is better. Not Green. Not George. Not Smart. Not Giannis. Brown can absolutely shut down anyone in the NBA. In big moments against the best competition he rises. He's done it again and again against guards, wings, and bigs. He hasn't quite proven this yet on a national narrative level, but I could definitely see him proving himself this off-season.

I think Murray is a really good player, but the Cs are happy with their pick.

I think Brown can (and probably should) be a better player than Butler. I think he’s more athletic and a better shooter. Give him a few seasons until he reaches his prime and I think he puts it all together.

I wouldn’t trade Brown for Murray.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Problem is Clarkson is defending Murray a lot, and he's terrible. Gobert has also been really bad at his go-to thing - defending the rim
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)