Author Topic: Montrezl Harrell  (Read 10968 times)

Re: Montrezl Harrell
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2020, 09:15:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just saw a clip of Stephen A Smith talking about this

He said Doncic is not "white" because he is european

is this real life?  ;D

Technically - Stephen A is right.

Luka is Slovenic.

Only in America do we categorize people by Race - with the two main ones being Black or White.

I'd guess if you're referring to Asian-Americans or Hispanics, it is Brown or Yellow people.

Categories like Black or White "ARE" prevalent overseas too - no doubt. But it is less a thing as far as "Either Or"....
Probably not the point SAS was trying to make given his... history of just being a bit odd.

But you're right nonetheless. Describing blacks and whites as if they're these completely homogeneous monolithic groups has always rung weird to me.

I'm confused what is going on here. Unless I am missing something, Luka is caucasian. White is shorthand for caucasian. So Luka would be white.

As for your point about using the 'colors' to races, well sure, it is weird.

Luka is from Slovenia. While he is a nice dude and brushed off (and FORGAVE) Montrezl's comment I'd gather you could break bread with him if you asked him about Slovenia.

I got a crash course over 20 years in The Navy on this.

Saw a few shipmates "bristle" in a nice way - over being called "White". Same with Black. These folks were from ALL OVER THE WORLD...

I realized over the years in that "Black and White" - while STILL mattering - mattered a LOT less. If you were to TRULY get to KNOW those you worked with...deployed with - it helped to get to KNOW THEM...

It helped to foster an appreciation among each other to actually RECOGNIZE someone that may not fall into America's ARCHAIC "Black and White" categories - categories borne out of Slavery, IIRC.

There are literally a TON of "Black" folks...if you just looking at COLOR then ok. But what about Nigerians...Kenyans...etc etc, etc...

Asians? That, too - is a WIDE and DIVERSE field....what about Vietnamese...Koreans (North AND South)....Philipinos (and Phillipinas).......Chinese....

Australians? WOW I bet that, TOO - is diverse. I've never been to Australia, unfortunately.

Hispanics? That, too - is a HUGE spectrum.

Native Americans? Tribes?
You should try and get down to Aus when international travel is resumed! That is, if you don't mind a bit of warm sun ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2020, 09:26:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Just saw a clip of Stephen A Smith talking about this

He said Doncic is not "white" because he is european

is this real life?  ;D

Technically - Stephen A is right.

Luka is Slovenic.

Only in America do we categorize people by Race - with the two main ones being Black or White.

I'd guess if you're referring to Asian-Americans or Hispanics, it is Brown or Yellow people.

Categories like Black or White "ARE" prevalent overseas too - no doubt. But it is less a thing as far as "Either Or"....
Probably not the point SAS was trying to make given his... history of just being a bit odd.

But you're right nonetheless. Describing blacks and whites as if they're these completely homogeneous monolithic groups has always rung weird to me.

I'm confused what is going on here. Unless I am missing something, Luka is caucasian. White is shorthand for caucasian. So Luka would be white.

As for your point about using the 'colors' to races, well sure, it is weird.

Luka is from Slovenia. While he is a nice dude and brushed off (and FORGAVE) Montrezl's comment I'd gather you could break bread with him if you asked him about Slovenia.

I got a crash course over 20 years in The Navy on this.

Saw a few shipmates "bristle" in a nice way - over being called "White". Same with Black. These folks were from ALL OVER THE WORLD...

I realized over the years in that "Black and White" - while STILL mattering - mattered a LOT less. If you were to TRULY get to KNOW those you worked with...deployed with - it helped to get to KNOW THEM...

It helped to foster an appreciation among each other to actually RECOGNIZE someone that may not fall into America's ARCHAIC "Black and White" categories - categories borne out of Slavery, IIRC.

There are literally a TON of "Black" folks...if you just looking at COLOR then ok. But what about Nigerians...Kenyans...etc etc, etc...

Asians? That, too - is a WIDE and DIVERSE field....what about Vietnamese...Koreans (North AND South)....Philipinos (and Phillipinas).......Chinese....

Australians? WOW I bet that, TOO - is diverse. I've never been to Australia, unfortunately.

Hispanics? That, too - is a HUGE spectrum.

Native Americans? Tribes?
You should try and get down to Aus when international travel is resumed! That is, if you don't mind a bit of warm sun ;D

You can keep Australia's sun, lol....I've heard about the heat there from a few buds I served with.

No thanks.

If I was fortunate to visit there you'f find me in a nice AC'd Mall or something....or under a HUGE palm tree or some sort of shading.

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
My question is: Is anyone actually offended by the term "White boy"? I'm White and I've been called it and I have never found it offensive. Did Doncic care? I haven't heard anything from him. So I'm curious if any White people actually find it hurtful because all I'm seeing is the "if it was the other way around" argument claiming a racial slur directed at Harrell would've been comparable.

But if no one is actually offended by the term and folks who want Harrell punished are just reacting to a perceived double standard then what you're saying is that something inoffensive (White boy) is the same as something offensive (a theoretical slur directed at Harrell, which is left vague because no one wants to defend a specific slur, probably).

That's the difference. If two terms are about race but one is not offensive to the target and the other is offensive to the target, then they are not that same thing. Context matters.

from what I read he called him a b word a word white guy. That is a long long way from just white boy.

If Harell had called Doncic a b---- a-- jerk, we would not be having this conversation. It's the "White boy" part critics are reacting to.

The inclusion of other expletives (that are thrown around every NBA game) doesn't change anything about my post.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008