Author Topic: Montrezl Harrell  (Read 10958 times)

Re: Montrezl Harrell
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2020, 06:20:32 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
They should be equivalent - otherwise you are saying the black player is just not capable of maintaining the same integrity as the white player.
Now that is real racism.

I don’t want to misinterpret what you are saying but I think you are suggesting that it’s racist to observe a disparity of power among races (as well as other types of power disparities) and to suggest that this could have something to do with why a white person can say the same type of thing to a black person that a black person says to a white person and that the impact can be experienced differently.  On the whole and not in every case, I believe when there is a power disparity there is often different presumed intent, different meaning, different perceptions, different impact with the same/similar words.  Racism in the case of white to black v. Black to white would be more inherent in one who thinks there should be a power disparity rather than one who is suggesting or observing that there might be one. 

Btw - this isn’t about Harrells actual power v. Doncic’s actual power.   What you brought up reflects how others generally perceive interactions between blacks and whites and how they perceive the impact of those interactions as perpetuating or not perpetuating negativity, stereotyping, bigotry, prejudice, discrimination or racism.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:28:20 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2020, 06:50:08 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Very disappointed in Adam Silver..He should be suspended..what if Luka said same thing but black instead? He be out for the year..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2020, 08:33:04 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As a white guy who used to play basketball with guys from all races a lot, I can say that I have been called 'white boy' by a black player one time that I can remember in a pickup game a few years ago.  It didn't bother me at all at the time, and since then I never thought of what he said as some big racial slur at me.  He was a really tall, and REALLY good player.  I blocked him out one time and then hit a few shots on him, so I just considered it him being po'd that some short white guy made few plays against him.

So from my perspective, if that was all Harrell said, man just let it go, he apologized and Luka accepted.  There are way way worse things that could have been said.  I don't think Harrell is a racist, and I certainly don't think he needs to be suspended or fined or anything.

I can't speak on the context of how the phrase was used toward you, but it seems rather clear Harrell was using the phrase towards Doncic in a very intentionally derogatory manner. By definition, using someone's race against them in a derogatory manner is racist.

But as I said last night, it could very well have been nothing more than ignorance on Harrell's part. I'm not interested in casting him out of the league, or society.  I am interested in his actions moving forward.  If he's learned from this and it turns out to be a one time thing, then I see no reason to harp on it.

It is quite dangerous and inexcusable to dismiss this as 'no big deal', however.  I'm not going to tolerate people using that phrase anymore.  It has no place in society.  Just because some white people don't mind racial epithets being thrown their way doesn't mean the rest of us have to tolerate it.
^^^TP. For all the American talk about minorities being "indoctrinated" and "systematically influenced" to accept discrimination, it's very surprising to me that the reverse hasn't been discussed regarding "privileged white" people being absolutely fine with being called names like "b**** a** white boy" - I can't imagine any other race being fine with that, no matter what context or history is behind it.

It really is quite mind-boggling, to say the least.

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
The fact that the NBA isn’t going to at least fine him is unacceptable. I don’t care what race or color you are there should be zero tolerance to use race in any trash talking. He said it as a disrespectful slur. But we shouldn’t  be surprised this is the same league that bows to China while they speak about human rights.
I think the NBA did a great job Bringing these issues to forefront but at the same time stay consistent. If someone uses race they should be suspended period. If it was the other way Luca would be suspended for the rest of the playoffs and beyond. He would also be targeted as a racist. Luca apologizing would do absolutely nothing.   

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2020, 12:16:56 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
NBA has proven once again they are hypocrites. Between how they handled China and how they allow stuff like this to go unpunished (a fine is all that’s needed, to let people know racially-charged trash talk is wrong, either way).

They cater to a specific demographic. Black-on-white racism isn’t racism.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2020, 12:08:53 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
NBA has proven once again they are hypocrites. Between how they handled China and how they allow stuff like this to go unpunished (a fine is all that’s needed, to let people know racially-charged trash talk is wrong, either way).

Rollercoaster post, but I dig it. TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2020, 08:39:01 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Because the NBA, much like the Democratic party (or Republican party) and every other company that is virtue signaling doesn't actually care about fixing racism. They care about money. As the old saying goes, the Democratic party wants to eliminate racism like Norton wants to eliminate computer viruses -- it's one of their core businesses . Someone in these companies has evaluated that enough people are on board with this BLM movement that they need to throw a few bucks at it to make people not boycott their organizations.

The reality is this: you cannot fix hate or racism in a free society, because that involves changing people's thoughts. In order to accomplish this goal, society must be changed into a totalitarian regime where you are not free to think or talk in a certain way. You don't actually solve racism, but you'd definitely scare people out of being racist in public. This is why you see these incidents where BLM activists are forcing people to raise their fists and how anyone gets cancelled if they don't support the movement. You can either have freedom of thought (that includes hateful thought) or you don't.

The answer is what we were previously doing -- ignore the racists. Don't shove a camera in their face and give them a platform. Because then you not only normalize racism, you also normalize censorship. Racism is like a disease -- the more exposure you give it, the more it grows. Does anyone actually feel like there has been less racism since we started having these "national conversations" around race every single day over the last 12 years?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:45:48 AM by Erik »

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Because the NBA, much like the Democratic party (or Republican party) and every other company that is virtue signaling doesn't actually care about fixing racism. They care about money. As the old saying goes, the Democratic party wants to eliminate racism like Norton wants to eliminate computer viruses -- it's one of their core businesses . Someone in these companies has evaluated that enough people are on board with this BLM movement that they need to throw a few bucks at it to make people not boycott their organizations.

The reality is this: you cannot fix hate or racism in a free society, because that involves changing people's thoughts. In order to accomplish this goal, society must be changed into a totalitarian regime where you are not free to think or talk in a certain way. You don't actually solve racism, but you'd definitely scare people out of being racist in public. This is why you see these incidents where BLM activists are forcing people to raise their fists and how anyone gets cancelled if they don't support the movement. You can either have freedom of thought (that includes hateful thought) or you don't.

The answer is what we were previously doing -- ignore the racists. Don't shove a camera in their face and give them a platform. Because then you not only normalize racism, you also normalize censorship. Racism is like a disease -- the more exposure you give it, the more it grows. Does anyone actually feel like there has been less racism since we started having these "national conversations" around race every single day over the last 12 years?

Well written .   If we are free to think ,then we are free to hate as well , write and speak as we wish . If i want to flyna nazi flag on my property ,  its nobody business , unless ive viloated some predetermined specfic guidelines or covanant i agreed too before i bought the property .  I think people should be more considerate of each others feelings as humans .  But , forced thinking ....which I always hated public school , declaring what ever i read is the all ending facts , i rejected .  Nothing is 100 percent certain everywhere in our universe .  Most the stuff i learned 45 years ago is now rubbish , yet imwas punished by teachers for questioning books written in the 30-60's .

It is critical to our well being  as a free society, being freedom of speech and thought remain the sole right of each individual . 

If we could read each others thoughts , now what everybody is thinking , i believe most evil would be controled .

I think eventually everybody's ability to gain access to this will happen naturally or science other sources will reveal more secrets .

Until,then .....we have to tolerate each other .

. .   

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2020, 10:37:20 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Usually, when you ignore a problem you allow it to fester and grow.  Racist behavior needs to be pointed out.

But, I do agree the attempted bullying and coercion is not the path to healing either.  That is just going to inflame and create further resentment an animosity.

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just saw a clip of Stephen A Smith talking about this

He said Doncic is not "white" because he is european

is this real life?  ;D

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2020, 07:04:14 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

TP. Good post.

Another way to look at it, is that racism is basically a natural instinct for humans to survive. Because someone looks different he or she is identified as someone who might not belong to the community and therefore could be a threat to the safety of the community and therefore has to be fought for the well-being of the community.

Unless American society can change in such a way that people are assured that people of a different colour do not pose a threat to the safety and well-being of them and their friends and family, it will probably not change much. White and black people have good reasons to fear each other. In fact racism is a necessity for safety in America.

As an example, If I would visit America and for instance went to New York, Chicago or Miami I would let myself inform very well to avold certain neighbourhoods to stay out of a lot of potential trouble. And these certain neighbourhoods would have a clear black demographic. So even as a European tourist I would feel the need for racism to adjust to American life.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:11:58 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

is this real life?  ;D

Technically - Stephen A is right.

Luka is Slovenic.

Only in America do we categorize people by Race - with the two main ones being Black or White.

I'd guess if you're referring to Asian-Americans or Hispanics, it is Brown or Yellow people.

Categories like Black or White "ARE" prevalent overseas too - no doubt. But it is less a thing as far as "Either Or"....

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2020, 07:56:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

is this real life?  ;D

Luka is Slovenic.

Only in America do we categorize people by Race - with the two main ones being Black or White.

I'd guess if you're referring to Asian-Americans or Hispanics, it is Brown or Yellow people.

Categories like Black or White "ARE" prevalent overseas too - no doubt. But it is less a thing as far as "Either Or"....
Probably not the point SAS was trying to make given his... history of just being a bit odd.

But you're right nonetheless. Describing blacks and whites as if they're these completely homogeneous monolithic groups has always rung weird to me.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2020, 08:06:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

is this real life?  ;D

Luka is Slovenic.

Probably not the point SAS was trying to make given his... history of just being a bit odd.

But you're right nonetheless. Describing blacks and whites as if they're these completely homogeneous monolithic groups has always rung weird to me.

I'm confused what is going on here. Unless I am missing something, Luka is caucasian. White is shorthand for caucasian. So Luka would be white.

As for your point about using the 'colors' to races, well sure, it is weird.

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2020, 08:48:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

is this real life?  ;D

Luka is Slovenic.

I'm confused what is going on here. Unless I am missing something, Luka is caucasian. White is shorthand for caucasian. So Luka would be white.

As for your point about using the 'colors' to races, well sure, it is weird.

Luka is from Slovenia. While he is a nice dude and brushed off (and FORGAVE) Montrezl's comment I'd gather you could break bread with him if you asked him about Slovenia.

I got a crash course over 20 years in The Navy on this.

Saw a few shipmates "bristle" in a nice way - over being called "White". Same with Black. These folks were from ALL OVER THE WORLD...

I realized over the years in that "Black and White" - while STILL mattering - mattered a LOT less. If you were to TRULY get to KNOW those you worked with...deployed with - it helped to get to KNOW THEM...

It helped to foster an appreciation among each other to actually RECOGNIZE someone that may not fall into America's ARCHAIC "Black and White" categories - categories borne out of Slavery, IIRC.

There are literally a TON of "Black" folks...if you just looking at COLOR then ok. But what about Nigerians...Kenyans...etc etc, etc...

Asians? That, too - is a WIDE and DIVERSE field....what about Vietnamese...Koreans (North AND South)....Philipinos (and Phillipinas).......Chinese....

Australians? WOW I bet that, TOO - is diverse. I've never been to Australia, unfortunately.

Hispanics? That, too - is a HUGE spectrum.

Native Americans? Tribes?