Author Topic: Montrezl Harrell  (Read 10947 times)

Montrezl Harrell
« on: August 24, 2020, 05:52:03 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Can't believe how quiet it is here on the forum.  Can hear a pin drop!  Nowhere I looked was there the slightest story on the forum or SB Nation about Harrell's comment!  It never happened!  Love all those hypocritical sayings on the back of the players uniforms.  Guess it only goes one way!
Doc Rivers and ASilver just look the other way!  Nothing to see here!  Just keep it quiet, and it'll go away.  NBA going downhill fast.

Re: Montrezl Harrell
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 06:00:59 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
There should be clear rules and punishments in regards to any form of racist comments. If Luka had said something racist to Montrezl, would he have been suspended? I think it is strongly possible. Yes, they resolved it between them but that does not make it right nonetheless.

Does the NBA have anything in writing that has been agreed upon to address racism? If so, what?

Our society should not tolerate any form of racism towards anyone.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 06:11:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, you can’t allow racial trash talk.  Silver will condone it, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 06:26:34 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
There were speculations that Harrel was trying to bait Luka into saying something racial and get him suspended.
After Luka and the First Lady are from the same country lol

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 07:01:36 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
It’s pretty bad. Harrell shouldn’t have said it. But honestly, you can’t see why there’s a difference?

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 07:09:29 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
There were speculations that Harrel was trying to bait Luka into saying something racial and get him suspended.
After Luka and the First Lady are from the same country lol

I’ve seen the clip. Looked to me like Harrell playing with a chip on his shoulder like he usually does. Likes to mean-mug and pose, talks a lot. He crossed a line here.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 07:11:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, I guess I'll be THE FIRST to post on here that he APOLOGIZED to Luka for it

Shouldn't have said it but he DID apologize.

It is ONE THING to say something like this but it is ANOTHER to come back and apologize for it.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 07:37:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Can't believe how quiet it is here on the forum.  Can hear a pin drop!  Nowhere I looked was there the slightest story on the forum or SB Nation about Harrell's comment!  It never happened!  Love all those hypocritical sayings on the back of the players uniforms.  Guess it only goes one way!
Doc Rivers and ASilver just look the other way!  Nothing to see here!  Just keep it quiet, and it'll go away.  NBA going downhill fast.

My Friend -

Until you actually WALK in "MY" shoes as a Black Man in this country I'd be hesitant to call the labels on the courageous NBA player's jersey's "Hypocritical".

Each of those labels DO mean something.

So are "OUR" own Celtics Players Hypocrites?

What about Bill Russell?

You CANNOT throw away a movement just because one player made a mistake - one that he was MAN enough to come back the next day and APOLOGIZE for.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well, I guess I'll be THE FIRST to post on here that he APOLOGIZED to Luka for it

Shouldn't have said it but he DID apologize.

It is ONE THING to say something like this but it is ANOTHER to come back and apologize for it.
He probably only apologised because he was getting flamed left and right on the internet, but still the right move.

That kind of talk has no place in this game
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 08:17:06 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
It’s pretty bad. Harrell shouldn’t have said it. But honestly, you can’t see why there’s a difference?

Most people can see the difference but if we’re really going to take the next step forward as a society, the reaction needs to be the same no matter who it is
Greg

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 08:41:20 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Most people can see the difference but if we’re really going to take the next step forward as a society, the reaction needs to be the same no matter who it is

I don’t think Harrell should’ve said it. And I’m pretty sure that if he keeps it up he’s going to get a punishment.

But I also think there’s a long way to go before we can take that step you’re talking about. A lot of ppl want to say let’s stop talking about race to get past it - but they don’t want to reckon with what’s been going on for the longest time and how we got here. You can’t just call it even and move on before that’s taken into account.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 08:47:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Based off of Luka's play I'm certain "HE" has moved on from it.

He's a Big Boy with a BIG GAME.......a Grown Man (with a capital G and M)....biggest star in Texas (sorry Jerry Jones, Dak and Zeke)........Big Kahuna.....

Love that dude....love Montrezl too.

If ANYONE here has never slipped up in their lives and said something they shouldn't have said then PLEASE come talk to me I'd love to meet you.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 08:48:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don’t think Harrell should’ve said it. And I’m pretty sure that if he keeps it up he’s going to get a punishment.

But I also think there’s a long way to go before we can take that step you’re talking about. A lot of ppl want to say let’s stop talking about race to get past it - but they don’t want to reckon with what’s been going on for the longest time and how we got here. You can’t just call it even and move on before that’s taken into account.

Eh.  We can camouflage it all we want, but some folks are allowed to insult based upon race, and others can’t.  It’s hypocritical and prejudiced.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 09:00:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
My Friend -

Until you actually WALK in "MY" shoes as a Black Man in this country I'd be hesitant to call the labels on the courageous NBA player's jersey's "Hypocritical".

By the same token, GF, you’ve never walked in the shoes of OhioGreen. Your status as a black man is respected, but it doesn’t mean that you get to define OhioGreen’s thoughts regarding what he sees as hypocritical, no more than his race gives his point any more or less value than your own.

From your own point of view, you’re both right.  Blacks shouldn’t be discriminated against.  Whites shouldn’t be held responsible for the sins of their ancestors.  We need understanding, empathy and humility toward all, not just those of a certain color or creed.

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 09:32:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Its highly disappointing the NBA hasn't taken any action here.  By not doing so they are sending the message it's okay to make racist commentary about white people. It's a massive double standard.

On the other hand, it is highly encouraging we have prominent members of the black community like Jay Williams and Charles Barkley denouncing such talk and correctly pointing out how wrong it was of Harrell to say what he did.

As for Harrell's apology, I'll file away with all the other meaningless apologies that only come after 'getting caught in the act'.  His subsequent actions will tell the real story of whether racially motivated hatred is in his heart or he just made an ignorant mistake in a moment of high stress.  How he conducts himself moving forward is what is important.