Author Topic: I Think That Horford Left Celtics because he didn't believe in them  (Read 3743 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
A lot was written up about Horford leaving our team because of the $$, but I don't believe that is what ultimately motivated him. I think he felt he would have a better chance of winning a championship with Philly than Boston. He looked at Philly as being an up and coming team, and Boston a sinking ship he needed to abandon.

Al already made plenty of money.  He probably could have gotten more $$ when he left ATL to sign with us, but came here because, at the time, he felt he had a better chance of winning here.

He underestimated our team.  He did not see how much better the chemistry would be with the extraction of Kyrie and the insertion of Kemba.  He did not anticipate the stratospheric growth of JT and JB.  Or the solid role of Gordon Hayward.

It's too bad, because we would be that more dangerous right now with him on the team.  I think of Theis as a poor man's Al Horford. Not a knock on Theis, he has been great.  But we would be even better this season with Al as our starting 5.

We move on. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:28:18 PM by Roy H. »

Re: Horford Left Celtics because he didn't believe in them
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 12:44:27 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
A lot was written up about Horford leaving our team because of the $$, but I don't believe that is what ultimately motivated him. I think he felt he would have a better chance of winning a championship with Philly than Boston. He looked at Philly as being an up and coming team, and Boston a sinking ship he needed to abandon.

Al already made plenty of money.  He probably could have gotten more $$ when he left ATL to sign with us, but came here because, at the time, he felt he had a better chance of winning here.

He underestimated our team.  He did not see how much better the chemistry would be with the extraction of Kyrie and the insertion of Kemba.  He did not anticipate the stratospheric growth of JT and JB.  Or the solid role of Gordon Hayward.

It's too bad, because we would be that more dangerous right now with him on the team.  I think of Theis as a poor man's Al Horford. Not a knock on Theis, he has been great.  But we would be even better this season with Al as our starting 5.

We move on.

If I remember correctly, Kemba signing in Boston wasn't even on Al's radar.  He was asked about the signing and said that he had already committed to Philly before the Kemba news broke. 

I still think a deal wouldn't have been reached, but Al's assessment of the team would have definitely been different if he knew about Kemba.  Here's a link to an article.

https://nesn.com/2019/10/al-horford-notes-knowledge-of-kemba-walker-signing-may-have-altered-decision/

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 12:52:27 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Whatever the reason he left, I'm just glad we weren't the team to pay him that. I appreciate him coming here (first big FA signing), and he had some good years here, but I put a good amount of blame on him last season for seemingly doing nothing about all the turmoil within the locker room.

Him opting-out was the best thing for both parties. He secured another mega-contract. We rebuilt our roster. If he stayed, we probably don't get Kemba and get stuck resigning Rozier. And with his play this season, I doubt a team offers him a contract anywhere near that size this offseason.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
One thing that we may have overestimated during Al’s time in Boston, is his leadership. Kyrie basically called him out on it (without specifically saying his name), but Kyrie may have been correct. How can Al be such a key piece to two consecutive teams that have had such internal struggles? I liked Al when he was on the Celtics, but his move to Philly reminded me of when Ray Allen left for Miami. Both consummate professionals, but their departures came out of nowhere and to the Celtics biggest rivals at the time too.

Does Philly look to try and trade Al this offseason?

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
One thing that we may have overestimated during Al’s time in Boston, is his leadership. Kyrie basically called him out on it (without specifically saying his name), but Kyrie may have been correct. How can Al be such a key piece to two consecutive teams that have had such internal struggles? I liked Al when he was on the Celtics, but his move to Philly reminded me of when Ray Allen left for Miami. Both consummate professionals, but their departures came out of nowhere and to the Celtics biggest rivals at the time too.

I think what's becoming clear with Horford is that while he is a great team guy + player and doesn't cause drama in the locker room, he also doesn't seem to do much to ease any tensions or stop any drama within the locker room. He just seems to go along with it like last year's C's, and this year's Sixers.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

People probably use "leadership" much too loosely, especially in pro sports, but I think you nailed the crux of the issue.

"Consummate professional", especially with a high paid vet, often gets interpreted as "good leadership" in the world of sports euphemisms.

They set a good example for teammates, sure.  So leading by example is really the only form of leadership they have. Leading by taking charge or speaking  up, that's not for them.  If they have to call out teammates, coaches, whoever, that's just not their style.

Not a military general, everybody-better-get-in-line type of leadership, more of sets-a-good example type of leadership, which probably really shouldn't be considered leadership at all, but here we are.  Vets like Al get called a locker room leader for being the 2nd thing, but it makes people expect the 1st thing.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

We move on.

If I remember correctly, Kemba signing in Boston wasn't even on Al's radar.  He was asked about the signing and said that he had already committed to Philly before the Kemba news broke. 

I still think a deal wouldn't have been reached, but Al's assessment of the team would have definitely been different if he knew about Kemba.  Here's a link to an article.

https://nesn.com/2019/10/al-horford-notes-knowledge-of-kemba-walker-signing-may-have-altered-decision/

I remember reading about that, but still don't totally buy the explanation. Al obviously knew about Kemba before signing on the dotted line with Philly - even before the moratorium since FA last year was a joke. I find it hard to believe that if Al really wanted to be here that he couldn't have changed his mind. Who cares if he would have upset the Sixers to stay with his current team. It would be much different if he had come to terms with the Cs, but then jumped ship to go to Philly.

Anyway, glad he isn't our problem. I liked him while he was here - a leader by example - and he worked well with the young players, but his contract is kind-of a joke. If we aren't able to get under the tax this year, though, then I guess it wouldn't have mattered what he made. I agree we would be a better team with him than w/o, but only marginally.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 02:19:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m not into mind-reading.   He was offered tens of millions of dollars more.  That seems like reason enough.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It legit seemed like he didn't like the Cs in that series. Maybe he was tired of getting abused by Tatum, Walker, and Brown so much that he couldn't even play in crunch time.

I wonder if he regrets his decision now, or if he has doubled-down on the decision stubbornly and thinks the Sixers really were the better option. That's more of a psyche curiosity of mine than anything.

Horford is a better player than Theis. There's no doubt about that. However, I do think there is doubt about whether Tatum and Brown would have blossomed as much running handoffs and pick-and-rolls with Horford. I noticed last year that Horford would consistently pull the ball back from them when they ran around him to pass it to Irving or Morris. I just think he didn't trust Brown or Tatum. CBS ran the offense through Horford (mostly a good decision), but Horford could have helped Tatum and Brown's development more than he did.

With Theis as the dho and pnr guy, and Walker and Hayward being unselfish guys, the pecking order was more naturally set.

It's neither here nor there. He's gone now and I really don't see a way he plays for the Cs again, unless it's in a backup roll after his current contract.

Re: I Think That Horford Left Celtics because he didn't believe in them
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 02:31:13 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Too bad so sad...

I will FOREVER be grateful for his leadership AND play during that miraculous run in 17-18.

Now? He can sleep on those FOUR STRAIGHT L's we delivered to PHI.

Check your mail in December, Al - you'll see a big GREEN lump of coal as well.

Enjoy the process.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480

With Theis as the dho and pnr guy, and Walker and Hayward being unselfish guys, the pecking order was more naturally set.

It's neither here nor there. He's gone now and I really don't see a way he plays for the Cs again, unless it's in a backup roll after his current contract.

the bolded is what seems important to me.  He was a complete non-factor in the series with Philly until it didn't matter in Game 4.  However it ended up happening, it was for the best for the Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 02:37:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
i don't believe that at all. He is not that stupid . Philly is ran by a bunch of losers.

he left them because he decided the pay day was more important than winning a title .

I think that has always been motivation number one .  The 76 ers paid for ....Horford NOT to be on the Celtics and OUT of their way .  But turns out he is STILL in their way now and is part of the mechanism by which history will show they screwed themselves six ways from Sunday ....with a little help from Danny along the way.

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 02:59:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

We move on.

whatever the case is, foolish choice made by him

glad he didn't return.  His game has gone downhill

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 03:28:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Horford has admitted that had he known Kemba Walker would sign with Boston last summer he would have considered staying put (likely for quite a bit less money).

But, per The Boston Herald:

“The problem that ultimately derailed all of this before it could get close was that Horford, perhaps not wanting to wait to see if these gears could mesh, chose to stick with his agreement to sign with Philadelphia as a free agent.”

Adrian Wojnarowski: ...”[Horford is not] walking away from Boston without knowing that there is something significant out there and that significant deal is probably at 4 years perhaps over $100m. There was a limit where Danny Ainge and Boston wanted to go on Al Horford. They do value him greatly but he’s 33 years old, the idea of going for 4 years-”

Lowe: “Smart play by Boston.”

Wojnarowski: “Right....”

JonJohnsonWIP:  When I asked Horford if he knew Sixers were the destination when he opted out of BOS, he said no, & was “blown away” to find out Sixers were among teams interested in him.

didn’t make a single 3 against the Celtics the entire playoff series. He only attempted 1.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jackfrank_jjf/status/1296941225828732928
 :o
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:35:59 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 03:38:42 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Al did a lot for Boston—not least of which was signing here as a free agent and helping give Boston a better FA reputation—but he's definitely too old and definitely not impactful enough to be making that kind of money. Whether he is actually as bad as he looked this series is hard to say, given Philly's penchant for horrible roster construction and player chemistry, but I'm glad he not Boston's issue anymore.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis