Author Topic: Paul George - Not good  (Read 4178 times)

Re: Paul George - Not good
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 08:05:03 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
His offensive game is overrated. Gets put on too high a pedestal. People expect too much of him.

I know I did back in his early days in Indiana on those Roy Hibbert David West teams. PG13 just could not handle the offensive responsibility he needed to have for those teams to get over the top. And he still has not addressed those flaws.

Still a darn good player but not as reliable a scorer as you'd like (due to lack of easy hoops & FTs from driving, limited midrange game and over-reliance on long distance shooting) and only a low level playmaker.

His defense is better than his offense. High level defender with an above average (but nowhere near elite) offensive game.

That's why I don't get the George/Tatum comparison by a lot of NBA fans. Tatum has a much bigger offensive arsenal than George.

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 08:17:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I rather have the 1sts and swaps plus SGA

What was leonard thinking

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 08:23:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't think many were predicting SGA would nearly double his points and rebounds, including Kawhi
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 09:12:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
He is laying a major egg.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 09:13:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

You cannot have players running your team.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 10:57:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Paul George is vastly overrated. Playoffs exposing him big time year after year.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 11:04:45 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
People are reading too much into this lol. George is an elite wing defender with star offence - a few bad playoff games in a series doesn't change his outlook that much. The obsession with "alphas" who pour in 30+ every single game is insane :laugh:, you can have superstar impact even without that ability.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
His offensive game is overrated. Gets put on too high a pedestal. People expect too much of him.

I know I did back in his early days in Indiana on those Roy Hibbert David West teams. PG13 just could not handle the offensive responsibility he needed to have for those teams to get over the top. And he still has not addressed those flaws.

Still a darn good player but not as reliable a scorer as you'd like (due to lack of easy hoops & FTs from driving, limited midrange game and over-reliance on long distance shooting) and only a low level playmaker.

His defense is better than his offense. High level defender with an above average (but nowhere near elite) offensive game.
That "above average" offensive game still puts him in All-Star territory alone though lol. Also think his playmaking is pretty good for a wing player - it's miles ahead of Tatum (who's low level). FWIW I think people were nuts to vote him for MVP last year, but he's a perennial All-NBA candidate imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 11:11:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

That "above average" offensive game still puts him in All-Star territory alone though lol. Also think his playmaking is pretty good for a wing player - it's miles ahead of Tatum (who's low level). FWIW I think people were nuts to vote him for MVP last year, but he's a perennial All-NBA candidate imo.

If you were to poll 30 GMs today, who is a better player today, Jason Tatum or Paul George, how many do you think would pick Paul George?  I'd say no more than one or two, including Doc Rivers.  The PG ship has sailed, brother. Step onto the JT Express.

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 11:20:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

If you were to poll 30 GMs today, who is a better player today, Jason Tatum or Paul George, how many do you think would pick Paul George?  I'd say no more than one or two, including Doc Rivers.  The PG ship has sailed, brother. Step onto the JT Express.

Not only that, I think most GMs would pick Tatum over Embiid or Simmons too.

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
People are reading too much into this lol. George is an elite wing defender with star offence - a few bad playoff games in a series doesn't change his outlook that much. The obsession with "alphas" who pour in 30+ every single game is insane :laugh:, you can have superstar impact even without that ability.

I’ll have to watch George (hopefully in the Finals against the Cs!) to compare them, but I’ve been really impressed with Tatum’s growth this year. Does so many little things on the boards and as a defender, and his playmaking is making strides.

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2020, 11:56:17 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I'd say a lot of them, including Danny Ainge. The JT Express is still under construction lad, I'll step on the PG ship for some smooth sailing.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2020, 12:05:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I’ll have to watch George (hopefully in the Finals against the Cs!) to compare them, but I’ve been really impressed with Tatum’s growth this year. Does so many little things on the boards and as a defender, and his playmaking is making strides.
Oh absolutely. Still think that George has an edge on Tatum on both ends of the court - for all the flack he's getting as an "above average" offensive player he only has had two playoff runs (including this one) where he shot below league average TS% (in RS, I haven't looked at matchup specific data so it's possible that he never had a below average rTS% in the playoffs until now since offensive efficiency usually dips against stingier defences). He's also in a different universe when it comes to playmaking - I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that he's a low level playmaker for a wing.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:17:46 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2020, 12:08:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Not only that, I think most GMs would pick Tatum over Embiid or Simmons too.
Whoever picking Tatum over Embiid should be fired, let's not get ahead of ourselves just because he looked poor against our swarming defence with crap support. And I don't see how Simmons belongs in this discussion, he's more of a "Brown" type right now with considerably less upside no matter how many people still think he's a Magic/Giannis hybrid in the making.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 04:20:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t think PG has ever really recovered from that double shoulder surgery. He seems Kyrie-like in his aversion to contact - his FT Rate is down ~6%, near his career low levels
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)