Poll

Seeding Games: Will the Grizzlies make the playoffs?

Yes
2 (12.5%)
No
14 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (#14)  (Read 93757 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Just thought I’d bump this with the free agent frenzy just about over.

Here is how their roster currently shakes out.

PG Morant, T Jones,
SG D Brooks, G Allen, Dorsey
SF K Anderson, J Holiday, Igoudala, J Jackson, B Clarke
PF Jackson JR., Crowder, S Hill
C  Valenciounas, Plumlee, D Howard, T Zeller

They are a little deeper than I initially thought, but a lot hinges on the development of Jackson JR and Morant.   The big question is if they will be a bottom 6 team or not. 

Here is who I think they are competing with for bottom feeders: Suns, Knicks, Cavs, Hornets, Hawks, and Bulls.   A team like the Bulls though could take a leap with their young talent.  Then you might have a couple surprises like the Thunder and Raptors after losing their best players might sell off their aging players like Paul, Lowry, Gasol ect to go into rebuild mode instead of being stuck in the middle.

The Grizzlies could be in the mix with 7 to 10 teams for the bottom 6.  Could be close.

If the pick carries over next year’s free agent class isn’t nearly as good.  The Grizzlies will have expiring contracts Iggy, Hill, Crowder, that will free up a lot of cap space, but it won’t do that much good if the FA is weak.

Cool. I think Justin Holiday and Tyler Zeller are currently unrestricted free agents.  :D

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Reportedly Holiday is sitting out there because his contract demands are higher than anyone wanted to pay.

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Reportedly Holiday is sitting out there because his contract demands are higher than anyone wanted to pay.

I think the teams that would pay him can't, they'd need to S&T. Right?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2019, 10:44:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think the teams that would pay him can't, they'd need to S&T. Right?
Now, yes no one has cap space left.

I think he turned down offers when team's had room as being too small and then got left without a chair to land on.

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
They look like a bottom 6 team (though that doesn't mean a whole lot where the pick is concerned), but there are probably more than 6 teams that could somewhat realistically end up worse than Memphis (and again that doesn't mean a whole lot where the pick is concerned).

Right now though I think they are the worst team in the West on paper.  I think the Hornets are the worst team in the East (right there with the Cavs) and they might even be better than the Grizzlies on paper.  That said, Morant could be a monster, Jackson could make a huge leap, and other teams could not perform like expected and end up worse then them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Sneaky league pass team.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Just thought I’d bump this.

The Grizzlies lost at home to the Bulls, and are off to a 0-2 start.   Good for us.  In the west I think they are clearly the worst team, but I think OKC could be a darkhorse bad team (not enough scoring).   The Suns lost Ayton to a big suspension, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Kings level off.  In the east there are several bad teams, but they all play each other more which helps.

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2019, 10:43:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think we should be hoping for #7 or #8 from the Grizzlies. I see them pulling off a 2019 Kings next season if they manage to get another top pick to add to their impressive young core.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think we should be hoping for #7 or #8 from the Grizzlies. I see them pulling off a 2019 Kings next season if they manage to get another top pick to add to their impressive young core.

I’d rather take the chance for a higher pick next year.   At 7 or 8 the chances of getting an all star type player are much slimmer.  If they pull off a Kings like upgrade so be it, but adding potentially a top 3 or 4 player is worth the risk.

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I’d rather take the chance for a higher pick next year.   At 7 or 8 the chances of getting an all star type player are much slimmer.  If they pull off a Kings like upgrade so be it, but adding potentially a top 3 or 4 player is worth the risk.

100% agree.  Add in the fact that getting the Memphis pick this year would require some amount of roster moves to avoid the luxury tax next season, as well as the projected strengths of the respective drafts, and we should be hoping to wait one more year.

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

100% agree.  Add in the fact that getting the Memphis pick this year would require some amount of roster moves to avoid the luxury tax next season, as well as the projected strengths of the respective drafts, and we should be hoping to wait one more year.
I thought the upcoming draft would be deep while the 2021 draft would be thin, if that's not the case then yeah I'm all in for 2021 then.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2019, 12:38:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I thought the upcoming draft would be deep while the 2021 draft would be thin, if that's not the case then yeah I'm all in for 2021 then.

My understanding is this year will be deeper, particularly with international talent, strengthening the middle and end of the first round, but that 2021 has better top-end talent.  So it’s a good year to have two picks in the 20s, but if you’re looking at a top-10 pick, 2021 is your year (or 2022 if you still believe the draft age will be lowered by then).

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I always believe it is better to use/trade the pick rather than wait.  All it takes is a couple FA or a draft HR or two and the pick is heavily de-valued.

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 01:08:36 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

My understanding is this year will be deeper, particularly with international talent, strengthening the middle and end of the first round, but that 2021 has better top-end talent.  So it’s a good year to have two picks in the 20s, but if you’re looking at a top-10 pick, 2021 is your year (or 2022 if you still believe the draft age will be lowered by then).
Oh okay. Then that's pretty iffy imo, I see the Grizzlies making a Kings like leap next season, although us going under the tax next season will probably make getting a late lotto pick just outside of that top 10 range worth it.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 01:15:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Memphis clearly has talent.  How soon that talent develops into a team capable of winning many games is tough to tell.  But with players like Jackson Jr and Morant, along with solid vets like Valanciunas and Crowder, it could be sooner than we hope.  There is a fair chance if the pick is pushed back to the draft following this next one we end up with a worse pick.