Author Topic: Embarrassed by this forum right now  (Read 5466 times)

Embarrassed by this forum right now
« on: February 01, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I have been on Celtics blog since it started and I think today is probably the most embarrassed I have been on this forum. We have an in his prime all star that has been a contributing member of the Boston community, has never been involved in any crime or morally questionable behaviors from what I have heard and has been involved in some nice civic causes. Yet, if you come to this forum right now it is like the guy slept with a bunch of our wives. People are calling him a jerk and say they want him gone. For what exactly?

This is how we get a reputation as a crappy fanbase from outsiders. Do you think half the threads on liberty ballers are calling Embid a jerk and saying the 76ers should trade him if he complains about his touches? Do people think that future NBA stars that may have a chance to come play for Boston are going to be intrigued by
the fans calling hayward awful for coming off a gruesome injury and for Irving to be traded because he doesn't say exactly what we want him to say at the exact time? If I was a free agent to be or considering playing for Boston I would see this stuff (we are the most prominent fan site there is probably) and it is flat out embarrassing to represent ourselves this way. I would take a step back and think about all that.

Re: Embarrassed by this forum right now
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 03:58:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I have been on Celtics blog since it started and I think today is probably the most embarrassed I have been on this forum. We have an in his prime all star that has been a contributing member of the Boston community, has never been involved in any crime or morally questionable behaviors from what I have heard and has been involved in some nice civic causes. Yet, if you come to this forum right now it is like the guy slept with a bunch of our wives. People are calling him a jerk and say they want him gone. For what exactly?

This is how we get a reputation as a crappy fanbase from outsiders. Do you think half the threads on liberty ballers are calling Embid a jerk and saying the 76ers should trade him if he complains about his touches? Do people think that future NBA stars that may have a chance to come play for Boston are going to be intrigued by
the fans calling hayward awful for coming off a gruesome injury and for Irving to be traded because he doesn't say exactly what we want him to say at the exact time? If I was a free agent to be or considering playing for Boston I would see this stuff (we are the most prominent fan site there is probably) and it is flat out embarrassing to represent ourselves this way. I would take a step back and think about all that.

Trust me, if I could, I would fire shots at half of the users here who all share some kind of personal agenda against Kyrie, but what's the point? Arguing and debating with them with conclusive and precise facts for month doesn't change their view point or thinking?

This is why we should have an ignore/block button...

Kyrie is our alpha, and the best scorer on this team. We aren't better without him. There is no way you can prove that, because there is no way anyone else on our team can step up like him; especially in the playoffs.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I hope you have a ladder for that high horse.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:03:21 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I am going to try to stake claim right down the middle. Hear me out. These two statements can be true at the same time.

1. It would be completely asinine to trade Irving. He is our best player, and personifies the best chance we have to make it to the Finals in the next 3-5 years.

2. Kyrie talks too much. And a product of his inclination to talk too much is that he says things that can be misconstrued easily. This is partially his fault.

Is it wrong to believe both?

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 04:03:40 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Agree with OP

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 04:06:00 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
It’s the downside of a high tech society. It’s easier than ever to spread information/misinformation. People can quickly create articles with quotes taken out of context that reach tens of thousands instantly.

Hysteria begins and spreads. It’s just a sad reality, and people with agendas try to warp public perception. Clearly it works.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 04:06:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Agree with Jiri.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I am going to try to stake claim right down the middle. Hear me out. These two statements can be true at the same time.

1. It would be completely asinine to trade Irving. He is our best player, and personifies the best chance we have to make it to the Finals in the next 3-5 years.

2. Kyrie talks too much. And a product of his inclination to talk too much is that he says things that can be misconstrued easily. This is partially his fault.

Is it wrong to believe both?

It is perfectly reasonable for someone to propose a trade they think will make the team better. Calling the guy a jerk and bashing him personally when he is member of our team, community and has not demanded a trade is a different kind of thing.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think this whole anti-Kyrie thing will go away after Kyrie is still a Celtic after the trade deadline.

Once Kyrie is still a Celtic after the trade deadline, that means he's staying in Boston.

On the other hand, if Ainge thinks Kyrie will leave, I'm sure Ainge will trade him on or before the trade deadline.

But I don't think Kyrie is going anywhere.
Some Celtic fans simply don't like Kyrie, for whatever reason.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

If being on the horse is a matter of not personally insulting our players we should all get ladders.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

If being on the horse is a matter of not personally insulting our players we should all get ladders.

There is no contract, no law, no rule thats says fans need to be rational.

But yes, you are right, insulting the people on this forum is much better than insulting our players.

You should get your money back from the Kyrie Irving school of leadership. And this is coming from somebody who agree that this forum is, by and large, overreacting.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 04:10:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Posts about the team are whatever they are - I've been far more embarrassed by some of the reactions to topics about race, sexuality, assault, etc, because that's real. Sports are dumb and gaudy and hyperbolic so some discussions will be too, but sports also doesn't really matter.

But man, I wonder sometimes if some of the people here genuinely enjoy the games with such a fixation on anxieties about the future. How many threads do we get recapping great play, or bad play, or really anything that happens in the games themselves? We have a great roster right now with some amazing talent, and we haven't sucked for like two months, and there's this endless fixation with the potential of what's next or not, instead of what we have in front of us right now. Just sometimes seems like an endless churn of stressing and griping with no real enjoyment or appreciation.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

There is no contract, no law, no rule thats says fans need to be rational.

But yes, you are right, insulting the people on this forum is much better than insulting our players.

You should get your money back from the Kyrie Irving school of leadership. And this is coming from somebody who agree that this forum is, by and large, overreacting.

Let him vent

This is all bc of Irving anyways

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Posts about the team are whatever they are - I've been far more embarrassed by some of the reactions to topics about race, sexuality, assault, etc, because that's real. Sports are dumb and gaudy and hyperbolic so some discussions will be too, but sports also doesn't really matter.

But man, I wonder sometimes if some of the people here genuinely enjoy the games with such a fixation on anxieties about the future. How many threads do we get recapping great play, or bad play, or really anything that happens in the games themselves? We have a great roster right now with some amazing talent, and we haven't sucked for like two months, and there's this endless fixation with the potential of what's next or not, instead of what we have in front of us right now. Just sometimes seems like an endless churn of stressing and griping with no real enjoyment or appreciation.

I think for many, part of the fun that comes with following the Celtics is that you can envision them improving in the future. So it was likely a bit jarring for some fans to check their phones today at work and/or school and see the quotes attributed to Kyrie. If Kyrie leaves, there is no doubt we are a worse team. People's reactions to this type of disappointment is definitely going to differ.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 04:18:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I get why fans overreact to stuff like this.  Sports tends to be reactionary.

I get more frustrated by the dozen or so posters who have a constant axe to grind or agenda to push. They treat talking about sports like reciting talking points for their favored political party, more than happy to misrepresent the truth to push their view on others.

But the temporary stuff like today passes, hopefully disappearing  a couple weeks after a Finals appearance.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes