Author Topic: The Pros and Cons of cashing in future Draft pick for a high pick this year  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Another way to look at it is from the opposite point of view. Like if someone called us and said "I'd like to offer you a 19 year old for Rozier, Jaylen, pick 27, the Kings pick, and the Memphis pick" I'd respond with "Is Ben Simmons 19? Is Karl Anthony Townes 19? They're not right? Then this call is done."

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Been hearing speculations of Brown being traded to the Mavericks for #5 pick? Thoughts?
any source worth a rat's butt on this? if not, then hard to get involved much.

How much lootie for Ratatouille's booty? ;) ;D

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't believe that Sacramento is certain to be a bottom 5 team.  They could be, but they were the 7th worst team this year, are adding the #2 pick, and have plenty of cap room.  They could easily pass the Nets and Knicks and may pass the Lakers if they end up punting in free agency.  It is far from a given that the Suns, Mavs, Hawks, Bulls, and Magic improve more then them and who knows how healthy the Grizzlies will actually be.  The Hornets seems like a team that could go into full bore tank mode and the Cavs might if James leaves.  This notion that the Kings are guaranteed to be a bottom 5 team is just hogwash.  They certainly might be, but the odds as they look right now would say they won't be. 
that's even more hogwash.
-Knicks should get Porzingis back so that will improve them quite a bit even if he's working his way back into shape during the season.
-Brooklyn, Knicks, LA, Chicago and Dallas are far more likely to land better FAs than Sacramento.  In fact, pretty much almost any other market is more likely to land better FAs than Sacramento.
-Memphis should have both Conley and Gasol back which makes them a much better team.
-Phx has young players that are considered better than what Sac has on their roster.   Same for Chicago.
Orlando has some more youth that could also improve this year.

you can't cherry pick Sac's youth as the only ones who'll be better than they were this year.  All but Brooklyn are getting a top pick this year.  Whether Sac gets Ayton or Doncic, they'll probably be good rookies but they'll be just that, rookies.  They're not going to dramatically improve that team.

As far as bottom teams go, prior to the draft and free agency, I see Sac, Hawks, Orlando, Chicago and Phx as the likely bottom 5 of the league next year.  Lakers, Brooklyn, NY are likely the next 3 but figure there will be a gap in the standing between the bottom 4-5 and the next grouping of teams.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't believe that Sacramento is certain to be a bottom 5 team.  They could be, but they were the 7th worst team this year, are adding the #2 pick, and have plenty of cap room.  They could easily pass the Nets and Knicks and may pass the Lakers if they end up punting in free agency.  It is far from a given that the Suns, Mavs, Hawks, Bulls, and Magic improve more then them and who knows how healthy the Grizzlies will actually be.  The Hornets seems like a team that could go into full bore tank mode and the Cavs might if James leaves.  This notion that the Kings are guaranteed to be a bottom 5 team is just hogwash.  They certainly might be, but the odds as they look right now would say they won't be. 
-Knicks should get Porzingis back so that will improve them quite a bit even if he's working his way back into shape during the season.
-Brooklyn, Knicks, LA, Chicago and Dallas are far more likely to land better FAs than Sacramento.  In fact, pretty much almost any other market is more likely to land better FAs than Sacramento.
-Memphis should have both Conley and Gasol back which makes them a much better team.
-Phx has young players that are considered better than what Sac has on their roster.   Same for Chicago.

you can't cherry pick Sac's youth as the only ones who'll be better than they were this year.  All but Brooklyn are getting a top pick this year.  Whether Sac gets Ayton or Doncic, they'll probably be good rookies but they'll be just that, rookies.  They're not going to dramatically improve that team.

As far as bottom teams go, prior to the draft and free agency, I see Sac, Hawks, Orlando, Chicago and Phx as the likely bottom 5 of the league next year.  Lakers, Brooklyn, NY are likely the next 3 but figure there will be a gap in the standing between the bottom 4-5 and the next grouping of teams.
Agree entirely with slam. Could see Phoenix leapfrog the Lakers though, regardless of who they draft. Booker/Jackson/Warren were a good trio last year, with Jackson making good strides at the end of the season.

Sacramento are also a crapheap of an organisation
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I think you are seriously overestimating the value of the Sacramento pick and Rozier.  There is no way those assets, plus some super late 1st rounders, are enough to move into the top 7 of the draft.

To support this I offer the fact that Danny offered SIX DRAFT PICKS, including 4 first rounders to move up from 16 to 9 in the Rozier draft and it wasn't enough. Imagine the cost to get into the top 10 from 27.

We don't know what picks were included, assuming there were four firsts in the mix (and it sounds about right), but the rumor is that a BKN pick was included. I remain convinced that a Brooklyn pick was never in the mix, but Danny's letting that rumor hang around to give the impression that even he can be taken advantage of occasionally.

Mike

Interesting.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Dallas, NY, and Brooklyn have had cap space for years and they come out of it with players like Harrison Barnes, Tim Hardaway, and Jeremy Lin (George Hill, Vince Carter, and Zach Randolph who all signed as free agents in Sacto might be better F.A. gets).  I think their time as perceived free agent destinations should probably just come to an end until you know they actually sign someone.  Chicago hasn't drawn anyone in a long time either.  The Lakers are clearly a pretty solid destination, but they were last year when KCP was the best they could do (and before that it was Deng an Mozgov).  If George and James don't go there, the Lakers aren't going to be very good.  Gasol played in 73 games last year.  He obviously didn't do much for their record.  Conley was only 12, but he is coming back from a pretty major injury and he relied a lot on his athletic qualities in his game.  Maybe he is healthy or maybe not.  The Magic are getting worse not better.  It is fine to claim they are young, but their young players are leading to less wins and generally haven't shown much improvement.  The Hornets are likely to cash in their chips and tank.  The Hawks and Suns are going to be terrible without some major free agents (or trades) being made. 

The Kings are an interesting group.  I mean Bogdan was pretty darn good in his 1st year, but he is pretty darn old as rookies go.  WCS has improved every year.  Fox looked like a real player at times last year.  Hield improved his efficiency a great deal.  Labissiere has immense talent as does Giles (who obviously is about as a big a health concern as anyone in the league).  Plus, as you say they are adding Ayton or Doncic in all likelihood. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip