Author Topic: Could Thomas Bryant be had? What would it take.  (Read 1223 times)

Could Thomas Bryant be had? What would it take.
« on: June 07, 2019, 09:15:11 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Washington is heading into cap horror story.

Next season they have
Wall, Beal, Mahinmi, Howard, Brown Jr, #9 - (Bruno Fernando, Kabengele, Reddish, Little) accounting for about 94 million dollars out of a 109 mill Salary cap. (Lux tax at 132)

They need to re-up on Satoransky, who is going to garner at least 15 mill a season  bringing them up to Salary cap (109 Million)

They are going to want to offer Dekker and Portis at least the QO, which combined is 7.5 million bringing them up now to 116.5 million.

They will probably guarantee both McRae and Phillip for a combined for another 3 million,

Now the Wizards have 119.5 Mill in Salary and the following team

Wall/Satoransky
Beal/McRae/Phillips
Dekker/Brown Jr
Portis/Draft
Howard/Mahinmi

So Boston could offer a full 4 year, full MLE deal which starts at 9.26 million per season, or they could try and work out a sign and trade for Bryant.

What do you think is the way to get him on the team?

Would a 4 year 40 mill contract be too rich for Washington to match? would another team beat that offer?

Would Washington be interested in a Terry Rozier for Bryant sign and trade swap?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:47:38 AM by Silky »

Re: Could Thomas Bryant be had? What would it take.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 09:25:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like Byrant quite a bit, but locking him up for 4 years seems quite premature when he hasn't even played 100 games of NBA basketball yet.

Also, your numbers seem to make no sense to me. $15m a year 'at least' for Satoransky is ludicrous. He offers similar stats to Smart with better efficiency, but is definitely a worse defender. He'll also be 28 by the start of next season.

I don't even know who the Porter you refer to as someone they'd offer the QO to is. Do you mean Portis? Because at this stage he's a better player than Bryant and will likely demand more than that. No idea why they'd want to keep Dekker, because he's not good at anything. He's 25 with no NBA skill.

Why would they guarantee either of McRae or Phillip (who I assume is who you're referring to when you type 'Phillips')?? McRae is a 27 year-old guy who has never shown anything, and Phillip is a 25 year-old who has never played an NBA game.

A third of the prospective horror story of Washington is one that you've seemingly invented, unless I'm missing something. Bryant is probably not worth it, considering he's merely solid.

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Next season they have
Wall, Beal, Mahinmi, Howard, Brown Jr, #9 - (Bruno Fernando, Kabengele, Reddish, Little) accounting for about 94 million dollars out of a 109 mill Salary cap. (Lux tax at 132)

They need to re-up on Satoransky, who is going to garner at least 15 mill a season  bringing them up to Salary cap (109 Million)

They are going to want to offer Dekker and Porter at least the QO, which combined is 7.5 million bringing them up now to 116.5 million.

They will probably guarantee both McRae and Phillips for a combined for another 3 million,

Wall/Satoransky
Beal/McRae/Phillips
Dekker/Brown Jr
Portis/Draft
Howard/Mahinmi

So Boston could offer a full 4 year, full MLE deal which starts at 9.26 million per season, or they could try and work out a sign and trade for Bryant.

Would a 4 year 40 mill contract be too rich for Washington to match? would another team beat that offer?

Would Washington be interested in a Terry Rozier for Bryant sign and trade swap?

Bryant will be looked at by many teams. MLE for him would be doubtful.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 09:51:24 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I like Byrant quite a bit, but locking him up for 4 years seems quite premature when he hasn't even played 100 games of NBA basketball yet.

Also, your numbers seem to make no sense to me. $15m a year 'at least' for Satoransky is ludicrous. He offers similar stats to Smart with better efficiency, but is definitely a worse defender. He'll also be 28 by the start of next season.

I don't even know who the Porter you refer to as someone they'd offer the QO to is. Do you mean Portis? Because at this stage he's a better player than Bryant and will likely demand more than that. No idea why they'd want to keep Dekker, because he's not good at anything. He's 25 with no NBA skill.

Why would they guarantee either of McRae or Phillip (who I assume is who you're referring to when you type 'Phillips')?? McRae is a 27 year-old guy who has never shown anything, and Phillip is a 25 year-old who has never played an NBA game.

A third of the prospective horror story of Washington is one that you've seemingly invented, unless I'm missing something. Bryant is probably not worth it, considering he's merely solid.

No not invented, that is just a gross overration on your part.

that is what they have to work with for money

Satoransky can get 10-12 million , so even say at 10 million, and as you pointed out portis probalby gets more than the QO.

Either way you shake out the specifics of it, the point of the exercise was to shot that Washington has a really bad salary cap situation and not alot of players in the mix, and middling quality of players, and the impact that could have on getting Bryant.

I dont care if Portis or porter is the spelling on a contract value, I dont care who they draft at pick number 9, I care about if Bryant could be had.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 12:27:31 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think Bryant will definitely be gettable, and he is a young C I like, but I don't think the Celts should go crazy trying to overspend on him.  The absolute most I'd consider would be a portion of the mid-level - maybe a 2yr/$10M, or a 3yr/$15M with a partial guarantee on last year. 

In today's NBA I don't think it is smart for teams to allocate much money to the Center position unless a guy is REALLY good.  You are better off just waiting to see who is left over when the FA music stops and then signing a leftover guy to a minimum contract (like Washington did with Bryant).  Additionally, we have Baynes + Robert Williams who currently project to play minutes at C as well, so I don't know what kind of a role we can even offer Bryant next season.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Next season they have

They are going to want to offer Dekker and Portis at least the QO, which combined is 7.5 million bringing them up now to 116.5 million.

They will probably guarantee both McRae and Phillip for a combined for another 3 million,

Wall/Satoransky
Beal/McRae/Phillips
Dekker/Brown Jr
Portis/Draft
Howard/Mahinmi

Why would they offer Dekker QO?

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:43:27 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Never heard of him and could care less