Author Topic: This Is What You Pay Marcus Smart For  (Read 2789 times)

This Is What You Pay Marcus Smart For
« on: November 14, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Marcus Smart hoping locker room outburst will inspire teammates

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/marcus-smart-hoping-locker-room-outburst-will-inspire-teammates

There's the defense, the passing, the hustle, the "winning plays," but really this is the reason I want Marcus Smart on my team. He's going to hold the team accountable and not shy away from tough conversations that maybe need to happen.

I hope it helps in turning things around.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: This Is What You Pay Marcus Smart For
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 05:13:29 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
As the longest tenured Celtic this makes sense.
Marcus can talk about grit and effort, but "Smarts" not always.
After Marcus is done with his motivational speech anyone can respond "at least I didn't injure my self punching a mirror during a playoff run"

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 05:33:14 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
As the longest tenured Celtic this makes sense.
Marcus can talk about grit and effort, but "Smarts" not always.
After Marcus is done with his motivational speech anyone can respond "at least I didn't injure my self punching a mirror during a playoff run"

Everybody makes mistakes. We need more guys like Smart.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope he looked in the mirror.

5.4 points on 32.8% shooting isn’t getting it done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I don't like his shooting percentages, but I'm glad he's taking fewer shots this season.  He's averaging 4.9 field goal attempts and 4.3 assists per game.  He's shooting about 35% less and his assists are up by about 10% per minute played.  I'll take that from him.  We have plenty of other guys who can score (at least theoretically).  And he's still doing the dirty work and showing leadership.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:04:47 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Scoring is not why he's on the roster. Smart has been one of our best players so far and I like that he takes considerably less shots than he used to. He has every right to call out the team for their efforts and execution. Especially when Irving and Horford don't do it. Smart is the team's leader.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 07:17:22 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

Scoring is not why he's on the roster. Smart has been one of our best players so far and I like that he takes considerably less shots than he used to. He has every right to call out the team for their efforts and execution. Especially when Irving and Horford don't do it. Smart is the team's leader.

I don't care if Irving goes 0-25 with 10 turnovers. Marcus freaking Smart has no right to call him out. HE can bully Jaylen Brown for now all he pleases. Not a player that is 10 times more valuable than he is in the realm of winning a ring and the future of this team.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I don't care if Irving goes 0-25 with 10 turnovers. Marcus freaking Smart has no right to call him out. HE can bully Jaylen Brown for now all he pleases. Not a player that is 10 times more valuable than he is in the realm of winning a ring and the future of this team.

lol

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hahaha, TP
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Well Smart has been the longest on the Celtics roster he definitely has credibility (on some sports teams the player who has been there the longest automatically receives captainship). Boston doesn't have an official captain, but sometimes players need to take action if the coaching staff doesn't get the message through.

And I don't think he called out Irving here, since he's one of the few guys who has been showing effort on both sides and playing well.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

Well Smart has been the longest on the Celtics roster he definitely has credibility (on some sports teams the player who has been there the longest automatically receives captainship). Boston doesn't have an official captain, but sometimes players need to take action if the coaching staff doesn't get the message through.

And I don't think he called out Irving here, since he's one of the few guys who has been showing effort on both sides and playing well.

Marcus has played well, as in playing his role.

I get that Marcus hasn't called out Irving directly or that he won't do it that way.

It's just weird for a player with such futility in his offensive game to be the voice of reason.

I really like Smart this year, save for some stupid shots here or there.

But how many years has he been in the league to where he can't improve any aspects of his jumper or his long range ball. he gets worse and worse.

He is an enigma, i love some things he does then I want to leave him behind in the airport.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 07:42:59 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wasnt a fan of signing him for 4 years and still not
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wasnt a fan of signing him for 4 years and still not
Why not?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Smart can call out anyone he wants to as long as the other players are receptive and it doesn’t cause chemistry problems.  A lot of our guys have seemed to be on cruise control.

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 10:14:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Any doubters will eventually bow down before Marcus.

Not a Smart thing to doubt him.