Author Topic: Embiid to the celtics (ESPN Mock)  (Read 13733 times)

Embiid to the celtics (ESPN Mock)
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:29:29 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
 Espn in their latest mock draft has Embiid going to the celtics. Ainge is certainly willing to take that kind of risk but I am curious how the other celtics fans feel about such a risk for a number 6.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:36:04 AM by Donoghus »
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: Embiid to the celtics
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:31:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd rather have Embiid than Love, to be honest -- although I'm not excited about what it means for our '14-'15 season.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:31:39 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Espn in their latest mock draft has Embiid going to the celtics. Ainge is certainly willing to take that kind of risk but I am curious how the other celtics fans feel about such a risk for a number 6.

It's worth it especially if Smart/exum are both gone already. We dont need another PF and Embiid has the potential to be a yearly allstar.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd rather have Embiid than Love, to be honest -- although I'm not excited about what it means for our '14-'15 season.
I'd rather have Love myself, bird in hand.

But I understand the other line of thought certainly. I don't think Embiid is going to fall all the way to 6th though.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
Too much talk out there about Ainge taking Embiid.  Either somebody else will jump up to snag him first, or Ainge is creating a smokescreen to get somebody else.  I just don't like the vibe I get from all this.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 11:35:22 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Yea - apparently Wojo said that Embiid agent is only sharing the medicals with LAL and C's...

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 11:42:06 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yea - apparently Wojo said that Embiid agent is only sharing the medicals with LAL and C's...

That doesn't sound good.  Why so secret .  If you health was good, then you want to advertise it as such, cause competition amoung suitors ,   and demand the best contract possible.

This kind of action would totally scare me away from a purchase.

I'd avoid future regret and take Vonleh or Gordon

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd rather have Love myself, bird in hand.

But I understand the other line of thought certainly. I don't think Embiid is going to fall all the way to 6th though.

Can I say neither?  Love (cost) and Embiid (injuries).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

That doesn't sound good.  Why so secret .  If you health was good, then you want to advertise it as such, cause competition amoung suitors ,   and demand the best contract possible.

Because his agent wants him to be drafted by Boston or LAL if he's not taken #1 overall. It's unlikely a team is going to draft him without seeing medical records, so by only showing his medical records to certain teams, it gives his agent a little more control over where he ends up.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Re: Embiid to the celtics (ESPN Mock)
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I for one and highly leery of a raw prospect with the prospect of two major chronic injuries before he has even started playing.  On the other hand, I guess we do have enough picks over the next few years (assuming that we don't trade them) that you can argue to take the chance on Embiid if we get the chance to.

I would say to only consider this if we are totally out of the Love sweepstakes (I am assuming we are already out of the Melo stakes) and our plan is to trade Rondo and go full bottom-out rebuild.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 11:46:30 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64

I wouldn't draft him. He's already considered a raw prospect, with his injuries he's never going to get a chance to develop. Without his athleticism, what is left with him? Honestly, he couldn't even make it through a college season.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If we do get a look at his medical history then I'm fine with us taking him.

Getting him gives us hope, even if we don't land Love.

Embid means we get a potential cornerstone on the cheap, and we can keep Rondo and still try and put free agents around him...in Rondo's mind, if worse comes to worst, and we can't get any major stars to join him, Embid should be ready to roll by 2015-16 when Rondo's still 29 years old.

I would love to get Embid and then get a shot at Emmanual Muiday- kid's the next coming of Westbrook defense and Harden offense in a shooting guard.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't necessarily agree.  He had surgery on Friday.  It's no secret that it occurred, and it's likely knocked him out of the top 3, maybe top 4.  So now if the choice is Utah or Boston or LA, the fall from 5 to 6 or 7 isn't that steep.  Furthermore, if it is that scary of a medical report, they run a huge risk if Boston or LA pass, because now no ones seen the reports, and those who have, passed.  I think it's just to scare off Utah and maybe Orlando, but probably just Utah.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I doubt he falls that far but if he did, take him in a heartbeat.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I for one and highly leery of a raw prospect with the prospect of two major chronic injuries before he has even started playing.  On the other hand, I guess we do have enough picks over the next few years (assuming that we don't trade them) that you can argue to take the chance on Embiid if we get the chance to.

I would say to only consider this if we are totally out of the Love sweepstakes (I am assuming we are already out of the Melo stakes) and our plan is to trade Rondo and go full bottom-out rebuild.

I think this is an important point. One guy who pays off as a top 10 player in the league is worth a slew of solid rotation players (who you can acquire many other ways in any event).

With one shot at it, and if you're already a decent team, I think the safe play has value. But with 10 darts to throw over the next five years, I think gambling makes sense.