Poll

If someone offers Bird a multi-year deal, how much are you willing to match per?

Rookie Min
Don't match any offer

Author Topic: Jabari Bird is a RFA  (Read 2318 times)

Re: Jabari Bird is a RFA
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 09:58:24 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Got a good feeling about Bird. Think he can blossom in to an E'Twaun Moore type player in the right situation. But may only be the C's 13th or 14th man next season...Boston is just so deep.

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 10:00:19 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Got a good feeling about Bird. Think he can blossom in to an E'Twaun Moore type player in the right situation. But may only be the C's 13th or 14th man next season...Boston is just so deep.
Same thing

I see etwaun type of player in him as well. 

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
minimum

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I like that comparison for the most part. Moore is a below average defender, but not absolutely terrible.

I think Bird could be a better defender with his length and quickness.

I actually think he could be more like an Avery Bradley lite.

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Celtics need a cheap guard coming up through the ranks. Smart or Rozier will be gone at some point. Bird is old, but, he seems to have a little bit of everything. No idea on his defense as the G league doesn't play any.

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Celtics need a cheap guard coming up through the ranks. Smart or Rozier will be gone at some point. Bird is old, but, he seems to have a little bit of everything. No idea on his defense as the G league doesn't play any.

Ha! Didn’t realize that about G League!

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I like that comparison for the most part. Moore is a below average defender, but not absolutely terrible.

I think Bird could be a better defender with his length and quickness.

I actually think he could be more like an Avery Bradley lite.

I think it's an absolute best case scenario, but I like the comp as far as his upside.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
With the team we have now, he wont see any playing time
Larkin isn't a certainty for next season. I'd like Bird as a potential replacement for that. Or, hopefully, Nader gets tossed and Bird takes his garbage minutes
if we can work $ and a spot for Bird in Nader's place I'm all for it.  Bird looks like he could be a useful end of bench guard whereas Nader needs to be elsewhere next year.

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Bird has quick twitch but not the length except his height wingspan is only 6-7.But he gets up like a rocketship.
 Just missing the wingspan to be disruptive in passing lanes but has a strong motor and his time with the Red Claws prepped him well .Opposition was going threw the motions and he was a blur and  and exploded for put backs and dunks.A keeper???
Summer league is going to be important this year.

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 05:39:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Saw an article from a couple weeks ago that Bird was planning on participating in Summer League with the Celtics.  That implies that he expects to get a deal signed quickly (unless he’s willing to play while a free agent, I guess).  He won’t be the most important signing of the offseason, but it would be good if he were the easiest, allowing the Celtics to know how much they have available to spend on Smart and maybe another free agent very early into the process.

He’s definitely shown the attributes that could make him a useful reserve for several years, and at minimum-salary levels, that’s exactly the type of player we need to keep the top of the roster affordable.

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I'm on board with Bird returning on another two-way deal, but I'm not sure there's going to be room on the roster for him short of an unexpected trade. I figure Monroe's probably gone and whoever they take at 27 gets Monroe's spot on the roster. If Baynes leaves as well they need to replace him with another big, not a swingman, but I think he'll ultimately be back. While Nader may or may not see next season, if he's gone I expect it means Ainge went hunting on the free-agent market with the mid-level for someone like Tyreke Evans.

EDIT: Forgot that Larkin could also be departing this summer, which could theoretically open a spot for Bird there, particularly if Smart and Rozier are both back and Nader (who I haven't given up on) is replaced with a ball-handling wing like Evans. I guess that's the mechanism for it happening, if it does.

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 05:53:54 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
With the team we have now, he wont see any playing time
Larkin isn't a certainty for next season. I'd like Bird as a potential replacement for that. Or, hopefully, Nader gets tossed and Bird takes his garbage minutes
if we can work $ and a spot for Bird in Nader's place I'm all for it.  Bird looks like he could be a useful end of bench guard whereas Nader needs to be elsewhere next year.

This. 

Bird's clearly not good enough to be a 12th man, but he's better than Nader and could be worthy of occupying one of our 3 developmental spots (Yabu, Bird > Nader, #27 or Semi). 

And like saltlover says, it'd be great to sign him quickly near the minimum for a few years to fill the roster cheaply and know where we stand for the rest of the summer. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »

Offline mrb617

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Bird is the next Rozier. Part of the reason Rozier is expendable.

Bird is going to be good. I liked Rozier his rookie year, and Bird looks better