Author Topic: I am off  (Read 3500 times)

I am off
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
In this day and age of instant gratification and expectations, now even the players expect to be awe inspiring immediately..maybe they are reading the Boston media too much and starting to taking it as gospel

Hey, why not just trade the whole team and start over—-I have reached my tolerance level though from overreactions from social and news..be back after all star break or not when Celtics are in hunt for best record in the East...until then, have fun disecting every loss as if it were the end of days.

Some of our fanbase is starting to look very entitled and no wonder other locations have a serious disdain for us...oh well, everything is changing in this world and I guess everyone reacts over the top on everything...

Sure a positive spin will surely not be missed..happy holidays all and have a safe and happy new year

Re: I am off
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 10:48:42 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
God speed! And I'm confident you'll come back to a better team, and a happier fanbase.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 11:10:36 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
In this day and age of instant gratification and expectations, now even the players expect to be awe inspiring immediately..maybe they are reading the Boston media too much and starting to taking it as gospel

Hey, why not just trade the whole team and start over—-I have reached my tolerance level though from overreactions from social and news..be back after all star break or not when Celtics are in hunt for best record in the East...until then, have fun disecting every loss as if it were the end of days.

Some of our fanbase is starting to look very entitled and no wonder other locations have a serious disdain for us...oh well, everything is changing in this world and I guess everyone reacts over the top on everything...

Sure a positive spin will surely not be missed..happy holidays all and have a safe and happy new year

Oh wow, I agree with a lot of things in this post, even guilty of some of it myself, esp regarding irritating players like Rozier recently.

Bit I ve been saying it before, Celtics fans are indeed crappy like other fanbases say, they turn on their own guys really fast the moment they're on slumps.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 11:50:44 PM »

Kiorrik

If it affects you personally, taking a break is a good idea.

If it doesn't, would love to keep you around, and adding positivity to these here forums :]

Regardless of which you decide on doing: wish ya all the best!

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 11:54:52 PM »

Offline MDCeltics

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
These guys will figure it out!

I recall the Pats 2007 SB loss to the Giants! I just about jumped. That's when I had to take a step back! I enjoy my sports even more since. Even when we lose. We, Boston sports fans have been extremely fortunate to have witnessed the last 20 years!

I still hate Eli tho! 

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 12:10:23 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I think some of us were riding on that 16-game winning streak too high last year, which led to high expectations this year to start the season.

But yes, the Celtics got to figure things out by Christmas.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 12:31:47 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
I wouldn't cite instant gratification as an issue.  It's not entitlement either.  We all expected rough patches to start the season, trying to reintegrate Hayward and Irving back into the fold and all.  I don't think most of us anticipated us looking this bad doing it.  I admit that probably >75% of my comments this season in gamethreads have been negative.

It's not just that we're losing, it's the way we're losing.  Defensive lapses (esp on our road trip and our loss against Utah tonight), major offensive droughts, poor energy to start quarters, digging ourselves 15+ point holes early in games, launching 3 after 3 after 3 even when less than a quarter of them are going in.  This team is an absolute chore to watch and I'd be surprised if anyone argued otherwise. 

I challenge anyone to present a case that our coaches have done a good job so far.  Of course I don't know more than Brad, and it isn't Brad's fault if we're missing wide open 3's, but if we're continually missing outside shots then make the appropriate adjustment and be more aggressive going to the paint.  For the sake of all that is holy MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT of some sort at either end of the floor.  Call ATO plays that are designed for a shot close to the basket.  Change ballhandlers and stop letting Rozier dribble the clock out.  Switch PnR coverages.
 Whatever.  Do something because the numbers don't lie.  We're dead last in points in the paint, 2nd to last in FT attempts per game, 2nd to last in overall FG%, and per the game stat earlier tonight 25th in drives to the paint per game.  This is completely inexcusable for a team with our talent, chemistry issues or not, and it stems back to Brad and company.  Our loss against Utah tonight was a perfect example.  A game like that should happen maybe four or five times per season for a team of our caliber.  Instead it's been happening almost nightly.

I have so many other complaints - from our player rotations to our gameplanning - but at the risk of sounding too negative I'll leave it at that.  I guess at the end of the day I should be happy that we have a >.500 record because we really look like a terrible team for very long stretches of almost every game.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 01:16:56 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I wouldn't cite instant gratification as an issue.  It's not entitlement either.  We all expected rough patches to start the season, trying to reintegrate Hayward and Irving back into the fold and all.  I don't think most of us anticipated us looking this bad doing it.  I admit that probably >75% of my comments this season in gamethreads have been negative.

It's not just that we're losing, it's the way we're losing.  Defensive lapses (esp on our road trip and our loss against Utah tonight), major offensive droughts, poor energy to start quarters, digging ourselves 15+ point holes early in games, launching 3 after 3 after 3 even when less than a quarter of them are going in.  This team is an absolute chore to watch and I'd be surprised if anyone argued otherwise. 

I challenge anyone to present a case that our coaches have done a good job so far.  Of course I don't know more than Brad, and it isn't Brad's fault if we're missing wide open 3's, but if we're continually missing outside shots then make the appropriate adjustment and be more aggressive going to the paint.  For the sake of all that is holy MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT of some sort at either end of the floor.  Call ATO plays that are designed for a shot close to the basket.  Change ballhandlers and stop letting Rozier dribble the clock out.  Switch PnR coverages.
 Whatever.  Do something because the numbers don't lie.  We're dead last in points in the paint, 2nd to last in FT attempts per game, 2nd to last in overall FG%, and per the game stat earlier tonight 25th in drives to the paint per game.  This is completely inexcusable for a team with our talent, chemistry issues or not, and it stems back to Brad and company.  Our loss against Utah tonight was a perfect example.  A game like that should happen maybe four or five times per season for a team of our caliber.  Instead it's been happening almost nightly.

I have so many other complaints - from our player rotations to our gameplanning - but at the risk of sounding too negative I'll leave it at that.  I guess at the end of the day I should be happy that we have a >.500 record because we really look like a terrible team for very long stretches of almost every game.

TP. Nicely represents my feelings and perspective, as well.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 02:43:30 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

This team indeed has issues—many of them. And I really don't see a whole lot to be upbeat about at this point.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 03:09:10 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
A lot of the negativity comes from the fact that the team is playing well short of expectations. If we had a rebuilding team that was good one day and bad the next I daresay the negativity wouldn't be at a level that it is right now.

I'd like to think I haven't been negative for the most part - I've tried to be realistic. I expected some level of inconsistency and that some days they would have really good games and others not so good. What I didn't expect, probably like many here, was that the bad would be really bad. I'm also concerned at the level of effort and drive they display at times, particularly when they start missing shots, they seem to really get affected.

I didn't think they were as good as everyone said they would be going into the start of the season, especially after I saw them in preseason. Conversely I don't think that the situation is hopeless but the warning signs are certainly there. Right now it's only November and there's plenty of time to fix things - there may not be come February or March.

One last thing - game threads are usually a reflection of how people feel at that particular point in time. There's a lot of emotion and frustration when your team isn't playing well. I take all negative comments in game threads with a grain of salt.  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 05:33:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's a long season.  We have several people coming back from major injuries.

I have never gave up on the team once not in the forty years I have followed them.   I have seen great years and bad years in that time.   When the team is doing good we always have a ton or peeps join the blog and tons more people get involved.   This also happens during the beginning of the season, when hopes are hard.

We all expected rough patches to start the season

We are what 16 games in a 82 game season.  That is around the 20% mark of the season.

It's early, we have some problems.   I think we saw the team we could be in TOR.   So the talent is there.   Right now we are shooting poorly, and the effort is not always there.   We don't attack the rim enough.  Most of this stuff is fixable.

CBS basically threw in the towel last night at 7:10 mark in the fourth because he too, was angry with the team.  He pulled the starters.  Plenty of us are angry, but I for one won't give up on the team just because we hit a storm.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 08:24:44 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We always had overreactions here. Nothing wrong with it.
Most posters don’t mean it, But this blog is an outlet for people to express their feelings.
That new song said, the team this year “earned” the criticism!
We were overachieving in previous seasons (and people still complained) this current team is disappointing and underachieving. No excuses.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

A lot of what you say is true but it's def not unique to Boston.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 09:39:15 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I can't wait for everyone to write this team off completely so they can finally be underdogs again. That's when being a fan is the most fun.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
A lot of the negativity comes from the fact that the team is playing well short of expectations. If we had a rebuilding team that was good one day and bad the next I daresay the negativity wouldn't be at a level that it is right now.

I'd like to think I haven't been negative for the most part - I've tried to be realistic. I expected some level of inconsistency and that some days they would have really good games and others not so good. What I didn't expect, probably like many here, was that the bad would be really bad. I'm also concerned at the level of effort and drive they display at times, particularly when they start missing shots, they seem to really get affected.

I didn't think they were as good as everyone said they would be going into the start of the season, especially after I saw them in preseason. Conversely I don't think that the situation is hopeless but the warning signs are certainly there. Right now it's only November and there's plenty of time to fix things - there may not be come February or March.

One last thing - game threads are usually a reflection of how people feel at that particular point in time. There's a lot of emotion and frustration when your team isn't playing well. I take all negative comments in game threads with a grain of salt.  :laugh:

TP for the insightful post, but especially the highlighted.

From that comes sometimes we posters getting snipy with each other, fellow Celtics fans. I was called "ignorant" and "ridiculous"by a poster whom I respect and whose posts I generally like. This makes posting on here un-fun.

I admit that I was somewhat negative about Hayward in that game thread, but as the poster above so aptly put it:

game threads are usually a reflection of how people feel at that particular point in time. There's a lot of emotion and frustration when your team isn't playing well/quote]

I will attempt to and hope others on here take ozgod's advice and:
...take all negative comments in game threads with a grain of salt./quote]