Poll

Should smart start?

Yes
13 (86.7%)
No
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?  (Read 14946 times)

Re: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2018, 01:47:57 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Quite conflicted. The Marcus Smart to Draymond comparison makes keeping him as a starter seem very appealing. Also can't hurt to allow Brown to develop off the bench - much like Harden did in his earlier years - as long as Brown gets it, this could be very beneficial to both his career and the team.

On the other hand, Brown starting raises the starting lineup's ceiling so much more.

« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Seems like yes is the answer.  I guess we need to see the team fully healthy for a decent stretch to really know who fits where the best, but they've clearly been better with him as the starter.
Yup

« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2018, 08:26:48 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
At this point it is working so keep going with it until it doesn’t. Also buys some time for Gordo to figure it out with Brown playing well off the bench.  It Smart has played well. It’s hard to argue that he hasn’t had an impact on the starting 5. He really is the leader and heart/soul of this team.

« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Quite conflicted. The Marcus Smart to Draymond comparison makes keeping him as a starter seem very appealing. Also can't hurt to allow Brown to develop off the bench - much like Harden did in his earlier years - as long as Brown gets it, this could be very beneficial to both his career and the team.

On the other hand, Brown starting raises the starting lineup's ceiling so much more.

Not sure how true this part is, at least right now while Hayward is still on the bench. The biggest advantage starting Smart has given us is a secondary perimeter playmaker allowing Kyrie to play off the ball more, where he is really dangerous. So while Hayward is still on the bench, I think starting Smart continues to make sense over Brown, as Brown doesn’t give us that secondary perimeter playmaker.

Though I agree that Brown starting would be ideal once Hayward gets back, as that leaves the bench without a reliable playmaker.

« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Smart is low key putting up an amazing season this year. He already has as many win shares as he did the entire last season (on about 1,000 less minutes played).

I think the extension and commitment that Ainge made to him has given him some extra confidence and desire (didn't know he had any room to improve here).

« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2018, 11:31:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not sure how true this part is, at least right now while Hayward is still on the bench. The biggest advantage starting Smart has given us is a secondary perimeter playmaker allowing Kyrie to play off the ball more, where he is really dangerous. So while Hayward is still on the bench, I think starting Smart continues to make sense over Brown, as Brown doesn’t give us that secondary perimeter playmaker.

Though I agree that Brown starting would be ideal once Hayward gets back, as that leaves the bench without a reliable playmaker.
Agree completely. Once Hayward is ready to start it's most likely that is when Smart heads back to the bench. Still, Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Baynes was a dang good starting 5 last year with Horford being the second ball handler, so who knows what Stevens will do.

« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2018, 09:43:23 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
Smart is low key putting up an amazing season this year. He already has as many win shares as he did the entire last season (on about 1,000 less minutes played).

I think the extension and commitment that Ainge made to him has given him some extra confidence and desire (didn't know he had any room to improve here).

Smart scores zero points tonight against Atlanta yet was so influential in the game. I think his presence settles the team down a lot.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2018, 09:55:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Smart scores zero points tonight against Atlanta yet was so influential in the game. I think his presence settles the team down a lot.
Meh...not sure I agree with this. Yes, he had a good game but influential is a bit much. He played his role and played it really well.

« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2018, 10:00:37 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

Meh...not sure I agree with this. Yes, he had a good game but influential is a bit much. He played his role and played it really well.

When most Celtic fans talk about Smart , they have the right idea, but use the wrong words.

Marcus Smart had an "amazing" game

or Marcus was so 'influential"

It just seems like they use the wrong words.

Marcus Smart wasnt that good , but it didnt matter tonight. He was ok and shot the ball bad. They continue to be a cohesive unit and thats what matters. Morris is playing himself into a nice contract.

« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

I agree with ozgod. Smart's leadership on the floor is incalculable. I think he has a big, positive influence on the way the rest of the team plays. Influential, I think, is a terrific word for what Smart does.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I agree with ozgod. Smart's leadership on the floor is incalculable. I think he has a big, positive influence on the way the rest of the team plays. Influential, I think, is a terrific word for what Smart does.
Usually yes, but come on. He wasn't last night. It's okay to just have a mediocre game. Doesn't mean he isn't tremendously influential on this team as a whole. He just wasn't last night.

Now the game before, he was probably the best player on the floor and player of the game. It was, IMO, his best game of the year, maybe over the last couple of years. What an amazing performance.