Author Topic: Get Carter  (Read 3435 times)

Re: Get Carter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Not worth it,  I would wait to see who else becomes available.

Who do you expect to come available that costs only a second rounder and a minimum salary slot?
I'd wait simply to see if there's someone younger and better defensively than Carter.  I'm pretty confident there will be.

LOL.....the WHOLE NBA is younger... :D ;D

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Was Time Lord even alive when Air Canada scored his bucket in the NBA. Let's time travel and see if Carter can dunk on him when he still had his legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_auvS8_D040

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Carter’s primary desire is playing time which is why he has been joining crappy teams.  He won’t get enough of it in Boston.  He doesn’t want to sit on the bench and win a championship, which I respect.

This is actually true. I liked the deal initially, but this part is extremely important. What should be a positive locker room vet, could be a malcontent if he still feels strongly about receiving minutes.

This is the only question. I like the trade. Incredibly, as Carter has aged, I've gained so much more respect for him than I ever had when he was an all star. If he wanted to mentor Jaylen and get a shot at a ring, it's a very good trade.

If he just wants to have fun playing ball and isn't interested in sitting, that changes it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
We already have Brown and Hayward playing off the bench.  Unless Hayward regresses due to injury or otherwise something unexpected, I see no need or role for Carter.

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Gotta be careful with big name vets being inserted into a high performance team. Sure, he will most likely make things better, but he commands so much respect that if he wanted, he could cause a lot of problems. I think the risk outweighs the rewards.

In his prime, I’d agree.

But, the guy hasn’t been a malcontent in a decade, transitioning into a respected role player.

I would have bet good money that Carter would have gone the way of Carmelo and Iverson. Instead, he’s been a model teammate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
We already have Brown and Hayward playing off the bench.  Unless Hayward regresses due to injury or otherwise something unexpected, I see no need or role for Carter.

We’re talking about filling Jabari Bird’s role, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Sylvestor Stallone would approve.

Good man for noticing.  TP.  Michael Caine would have gotten you extra credit, though.

Incidentally: TP for that. The Caine version is certainly the superior movie.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Well even at 41, he does more help to the Hawks more than JB has been helping us so, there's that I guess.

No idea what JB is going through but must be painfully hard for him to regress like this.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 06:34:53 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Gotta be careful with big name vets being inserted into a high performance team. Sure, he will most likely make things better, but he commands so much respect that if he wanted, he could cause a lot of problems. I think the risk outweighs the rewards.

In his prime, I’d agree.

But, the guy hasn’t been a malcontent in a decade, transitioning into a respected role player.

I would have bet good money that Carter would have gone the way of Carmelo and Iverson. Instead, he’s been a model teammate.

Just remember what happened with Dwayne wade, an otherwise good teammate, in Cleveland. People that command that much respect can start a lot of trouble if they want to. I’d rather just get someone that can play minutes and leave the locker room to our existing vets.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 06:59:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

In his prime, I’d agree.

Just remember what happened with Dwayne wade, an otherwise good teammate, in Cleveland. People that command that much respect can start a lot of trouble if they want to. I’d rather just get someone that can play minutes and leave the locker room to our existing vets.

I don't think Wade is a great example.  He'd always been a bit of a diva, had never accepted a role as a role player before, and had created some divisions in the Bulls locker room before moving to Cleveland.

Carter has been filling the role of "wise vet off the bench" for several seasons now.