Author Topic: How bad was the magic trade for Ibaka  (Read 4844 times)

Re: How bad was the magic trade for Ibaka
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 11:21:26 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
It was bad, but they did get Ross and a 1st when they realized he wasn't working out like they thought.

That pick was Anžejs Pasečņiks. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t been wondering when he’s going to make his big splash in the NBA. I’m going out on a limb here and say ‘never’.

As Celtics fans seem not to have noticed, Serge Ibaka was a critical player in Toronto winning a championship last season. Signed a three year, ~$65M deal in 2017. Good deal? I say yes. But is he better than Ross? Well, yes, by a wide margin.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 12:21:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
It was bad, but they did get Ross and a 1st when they realized he wasn't working out like they thought.

That pick was Anžejs Pasečņiks. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t been wondering when he’s going to make his big splash in the NBA. I’m going out on a limb here and say ‘never’.

As Celtics fans seem not to have noticed, Serge Ibaka was a critical player in Toronto winning a championship last season. Signed a three year, ~$65M deal in 2017. Good deal? I say yes. But is he better than Ross? Well, yes, by a wide margin.
^this. I'd love to have Ibaka as our starting centre next season if possible tbh, he's the type of big man who'd fit us perfectly (versatile defender, can shoot and finish).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 09:13:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

^this. I'd love to have Ibaka as our starting centre next season if possible tbh, he's the type of big man who'd fit us perfectly (versatile defender, can shoot and finish).
Serge Ibaka is basically super-powered Theis, lol. He's probably in line for one big contract.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 11:22:52 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

My point wasn't that they got equal value, especially given what they gave up to get Ibaka, my point was, they at least had the sense to get something back for Ibaka when they realized it wasn't working.  And of course Orlando messed up the draft pick.  They always mess up their draft picks, though I think it is worth pointing out that Kuzma went 27, Derrick White went 29, and Josh Hart went 30 after they took Pasecniks at 25.  Value looks better if they do a better job with the drafting (again though it is Orlando, they are horrid drafters).  I mean seriously, Howard was the last time they took the correct guy and actually had that guy reach his potential on their squad (and Howard was a no brainer #1 pick).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip