Author Topic: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?  (Read 10510 times)

Re: Should Kobe's #24 be retired league wide?
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think retiring 8 and 24 for every franchise would be a massive overreaction. (We also already have 24 retired). But something should definitely be done league wide, perhaps a Jersey patch for every team.

Or another black stripe, like the one for David Stern. Have one for each (or make Kobe's Purple/Gold)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2020, 05:35:55 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
How about this - preseason games held on August 24 (8/24) with all proceeds going to the charity of Kobe's choice. Make them rivalry games and have them captained by all-time greats for each respective team

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2020, 06:05:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Whatever the final outcome is - for something like THIS it SHOULD be the Player's Choice - and the franchise obviously affected by this - The Los Angeles Lakers.

The families of the victims are directly affected by the tragedy directly - as well as the players.

Us fans ARE affected by this as well - but - as we can see - there are varying degrees of what should be done.

You have franchises OTHER THAN the Lakers taking leadership in this (Dallas Mavericks)....you have LA Natives taking leadership (Paul Pierce)....

Obviously - not everyone FAN-WISE is going to agree. At the end of the day - we do not even KNOW these players beyond the court.

Let them decide.

Looks like we obviously ARE NOT - going to please everyone with the choice(s) that are made. That is ok - at least with ME.

At the end of the day - wouldn't that have been Kobe's way? The Mamba way?

The Black Mamba way served him WELL - in basketball AND in his life away from it.

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2020, 06:26:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I've been thinking about this thread and have held off commenting because I've been somewhat cynical in my thoughts about it and didn't want to be negative, especially when all the thoughts here are well-meaning.

I guess I am just hoping that no one in a position to do something about this (league-wide or with the Lakers) is acting quickly -- regarding a "fitting" broad-based commemoration (beyond requisite moments of silence and good wishes to the family).   This is not like the loss of a 77 year old ex-commissioner who had been ill for a few months, sad as I'm sure that was for his family.   The Bryant deaths are an unfathomable tragedy for a family -- Kobe's wife, children, his parents -- these people have lost a father, husband, child, sister, grandchild...  suddenly, with no warning, young people gone.  Never mind the tragedies the other 7 who are just the "other 7" to us, but are similarly loved by their families -- these people who in time will be known only as people who died with Kobe Bryant.   

My thought is just to let it be for a while.  I can't imagine that anyone in Kobe's family is anywhere near ready to be comforted by a commemoration of Kobe.  Obviously, I could be wrong about that -- but that's my thought.   The commemoration idea may "comforting" to the rest of us who have experienced a little shock, a little loss, a small jolt of harsh reality.  But my guess is that those who really knew and loved him and his daughter are in shock.   I would think that discussions of 24s on sneakers, or black (or purple/gold) stripes, or retired numbers, etc are background noise at most -- not meaningful.   

Maybe/probably down the road when the family can begin to make some sense of this and perhaps create something positive with regard to the memories a league or Laker commemoration will be something that they'll find comfort in.   

I realize this is just a blog thread with really good ideas that Kobe's family won't be reading  -- no harm in it at all.  I just hope that those in the position of doing something are allowing some time to pass before applying gestures or organizing public ceremonies that might be too soon for the family.

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I've been thinking about this thread and have held off commenting because I've been somewhat cynical in my thoughts about it and didn't want to be negative, especially when all the thoughts here are well-meaning.

I guess I am just hoping that no one in a position to do something about this (league-wide or with the Lakers) is acting quickly -- regarding a "fitting" broad-based commemoration (beyond requisite moments of silence and good wishes to the family).   This is not like the loss of a 77 year old ex-commissioner who had been ill for a few months, sad as I'm sure that was for his family.   The Bryant deaths are an unfathomable tragedy for a family -- Kobe's wife, children, his parents -- these people have lost a father, husband, child, sister, grandchild...  suddenly, with no warning, young people gone.  Never mind the tragedies the other 7 who are just the "other 7" to us, but are similarly loved by their families -- these people who in time will be known only as people who died with Kobe Bryant.   

My thought is just to let it be for a while.  I can't imagine that anyone in Kobe's family is anywhere near ready to be comforted by a commemoration of Kobe.  Obviously, I could be wrong about that -- but that's my thought.   The commemoration idea may "comforting" to the rest of us who have experienced a little shock, a little loss, a small jolt of harsh reality.  But my guess is that those who really knew and loved him and his daughter are in shock.   I would think that discussions of 24s on sneakers, or black (or purple/gold) stripes, or retired numbers, etc are background noise at most -- not meaningful.   

Maybe/probably down the road when the family can begin to make some sense of this and perhaps create something positive with regard to the memories a league or Laker commemoration will be something that they'll find comfort in.   

I realize this is just a blog thread with really good ideas that Kobe's family won't be reading  -- no harm in it at all.  I just hope that those in the position of doing something are allowing some time to pass before applying gestures or organizing public ceremonies that might be too soon for the family.

Good points - and in a saner time would be the best way.

Not saner times, though.

We have fans throwing stuff at players...grabbing players...calling them all sorts of names...racist and otherwise.

We have fans RIGHT HERE in BOS - throwing none other than Paul Pierce under the bus for HIS suggestion - and he IS an LA NATIVE....

We have fans bring up Kobe's past...in the Mourning Thread. Kobe Bean Bryant was obviously a divisive person.

We wait a month...a year...we're not going to please everyone here.

While your suggestion is SANE and Well-Meaning (as usual, NG) - not everyone is going to be pleased with whatever choice is made.

Such are the times we live in.

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2020, 07:02:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Maybe some sort of special yealy award by NBA , possibly players , in his name for a player who excels in some way ...that would have pleased Kobe interest on or off court excellence.

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:07 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
IMO that would be an overaction. It has a noble note in it, but it is an overaction nevertheless.
I am sure that Kobe is and will be even more appreciated in some other ways.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I get why the Lakers/Clippers game was postponed, but how awesome a tribute would it have been for one team to wear 8 and one team to wear 24 for the game.  The fact that the Lakers were playing the Clippers would have made it the best time for an epic tribute.  Both LA teams together on the floor.  Was almost a fitting match-up for the Lakers first game. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2020, 10:01:55 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
No.. are u going retire Len Bias, Drazen Petrovic, Hank Gathers, Reggie Lewis, Roberto Clemente and others cause they died young.. I know he was a superstar but unfortunately that’s life..not sounding cruel or anything but if he died at age 80 would u retire his number still?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2020, 01:00:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Pretty well done piece by Sarah Spain on why it is important to remember all of Kobe's life (including Colorado)

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28586207/now-right-remember-kobe-bryant-life-all-it

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2020, 02:40:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I get why the Lakers/Clippers game was postponed, but how awesome a tribute would it have been for one team to wear 8 and one team to wear 24 for the game.  The fact that the Lakers were playing the Clippers would have made it the best time for an epic tribute.  Both LA teams together on the floor.  Was almost a fitting match-up for the Lakers first game.
im almost certain all the players were ready to play

Lebron is a mental midget. Kobe would have wanted them to play. But lebron always finds an excuse to not lose to kawhi again like he always does

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2020, 02:42:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Pretty well done piece by Sarah Spain on why it is important to remember all of Kobe's life (including Colorado)

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28586207/now-right-remember-kobe-bryant-life-all-it

Disregard.

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Lebron is a mental midget. Kobe would have wanted them to play. But lebron always finds an excuse to not lose to kawhi again like he always does
Perhaps the players were ready to play, but the community wasn't ready for that game to be played. It was the right move for the Los Angeles area, the local  basketball community especially.

My guess is if David Ortiz had tragically passed immediately at the time of his shooting that MLB probably would have cancelled the Boston-Tampa game at Fenway the next day. And it too would have, theoretically, been the right move.

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2020, 03:30:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Perhaps the players were ready to play, but the community wasn't ready for that game to be played. It was the right move for the Los Angeles area, the local  basketball community especially.

My guess is if David Ortiz had tragically passed immediately at the time of his shooting that MLB probably would have cancelled the Boston-Tampa game at Fenway the next day. And it too would have, theoretically, been the right move.
Oh yeah they cancelled the game because of all of the office staff, arena workers, etc.  Many of them were with the Lakers for a long time and knew Kobe very well (and probably his daughter as well as Vanessa and the other kids). 

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Why?

This, right here. What would be the reasoning behind it?

The other question for me is: If this same thing is proposed a year from now, when the sadness of the event isn't so fresh, what will be the response?

The answer is no. Same thing for the logo.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008