Author Topic: Smart out up to two rounds!  (Read 21485 times)

Re: Smart out up to two rounds!
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2019, 02:34:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Where the injury is a torn oblique and not a bruised oblique, I wonder if the injury was going to happen at some point due to wear and tear on the oblique or if this happened due to an impact of some kind?

Is there anyone with medical knowledge that could possibly expand on that?

« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
*sigh* so the fire brad threads are going to be a thing this off season if we don't win a title aren't they.

As there should be. Teams with lesser talent are playing better than Boston is.
Indeed the all best franchises fire/trade their coaches/players after said coach/player has one disappointing season.

I mean if you over perform for 3 years in a row and then under perform you are now on the decline right?

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Where the injury is a torn oblique and not a bruised oblique, I wonder if the injury was going to happen at some point due to wear and tear on the oblique or if this happened due to an impact of some kind?

Is there anyone with medical knowledge that could possibly expand on that?
Given the energetic nature of the collision I think its just a fluke thing in this case, though as with most strains/tears the more fatigued/worn the athlete is the greater the chance it happens.

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2019, 03:08:55 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
*sigh* so the fire brad threads are going to be a thing this off season if we don't win a title aren't they.

Indeed the all best franchises fire/trade their coaches/players after said coach/player has one disappointing season.

I mean if you over perform for 3 years in a row and then under perform you are now on the decline right?

Well I've never been all in on the Bradly train honestly. Over-achieving in the NBA isn't that impressive to be honest, for me anyway. I've seen way too many winnable games over the years, including playoffs, where he was ok with players playing stupid, or not listening to him. Half the league gets a participation trophy and you have another % that wants lotto balls.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I also want to say the utter defeatism that has taken a hold of some of you is weird. We aren't talking about missing Kyrie or Horford. Those guys would be the most important people the C's could not afford to lose. Baynes might be included amongst them.

But if there is someone that is easy to replace on this team, it's a wing. Take out Smart and you just play Brown, Tatum and Hayward. If Brown brings it, he can give you 90-95% of what Smart brings defensively.

Also, does anyone notice that Smart doesn't get the defensive credit through the NBA that others get. On a recent vote for DPOY on ESPN, Smart's name was nowhere to be seen, even on the list of others receiving votes. Horford was. But no Smart. There were about 15-18 players there but no Smart.

He might not even be an All-NBA Defense this year as Thompson is getting a major push by players and media on the West Coast and Patrick Beverly, Malcolm Brogdan, Danny Green, Victor Oladipo, Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook are all going to be getting votes at guard.

He just doesn't nearly get the credit nationwide that he does here.

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Well I've never been all in on the Bradly train honestly. Over-achieving in the NBA isn't that impressive to be honest, for me anyway. I've seen way too many winnable games over the years, including playoffs, where he was ok with players playing stupid, or not listening to him. Half the league gets a participation trophy and you have another % that wants lotto balls.
Since you're so hardcore "fire Brad" person, and only cares about rings, who do we get? Mike Brown? Byron Scott? Steve Clifford? Frank Vogel? Am I missing anyone? People love to regurgitate narratives like this, without providing what the right steps actually are. Such talk is worthless IMO.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2019, 03:27:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I also want to say the utter defeatism that has taken a hold of some of you is weird. We aren't talking about missing Kyrie or Horford. Those guys would be the most important people the C's could not afford to lose. Baynes might be included amongst them.

But if there is someone that is easy to replace on this team, it's a wing. Take out Smart and you just play Brown, Tatum and Hayward. If Brown brings it, he can give you 90-95% of what Smart brings defensively.

Also, does anyone notice that Smart doesn't get the defensive credit through the NBA that others get. On a recent vote for DPOY on ESPN, Smart's name was nowhere to be seen, even on the list of others receiving votes. Horford was. But no Smart. There were about 15-18 players there but no Smart.

He might not even be an All-NBA Defense this year as Thompson is getting a major push by players and media on the West Coast and Patrick Beverly, Malcolm Brogdan, Danny Green, Victor Oladipo, Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook are all going to be getting votes at guard.

Agreed. Smart is a solid player and I appreciate what he brings to the table, but losing him is not a death knell.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2019, 04:02:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Can't argue with any of that reasoning.  Flawless.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

Since you're so hardcore "fire Brad" person, and only cares about rings, who do we get? Mike Brown? Byron Scott? Steve Clifford? Frank Vogel? Am I missing anyone? People love to regurgitate narratives like this, without providing what the right steps actually are. Such talk is worthless IMO.

No, never said it's all about rings. It's about playing good quality basketball and not under-performing.

Spare me the "you play gm" game. I don't have to vet candidates in order to have an opinion that our current coach isn't as good as some think he is. I don't need to be a mechanic to know if the car has wheels. The Bucks are winning with Giannis and mostly scrubs. Here we are with a stacked team and it's a mess. I believe had we a better coach they would've won game 7 last year.

I guarantee you the last game we play this year will be a game where they are out of control on offense. Bank on it. It's happened the last 2 years.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

For me, it's the fact that Smart is exactly the kind of guy the Celts will need to make big plays and set an edge against a superior opponent.  In my opinion they're already in the hole against a team like the Bucks, assuming they get to the second round, and not having Smart removes a key X-Factor that could swing things for them.

Put it simply, Smart is a winning player.  I don't understand the idea that not having him isn't a big deal from the standpoint of the team punching above its weight against higher seeded opponents, especially on the road.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2019, 05:49:00 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This is definitely unfortunate.  I like Smart and what he brings to the table, but he's the most replaceable player on the team. 

There's not any real drop off between his play and that of Jaylen Brown or Terry Rozier in terms of total basketball talent. 

Now his defense can be exceptional, but the Pacers have a bunch of guards that are barely NBA players.  They're old, unathletic, and completely unintimidating without Oladipo.  The last thing the Celtics need is a "lock-down" defensive guard in this series.

I'm actually glad Smart won't be available for this series because I think Brad bends over backwards to provide Smart with unnecessary minutes for a role player to the detriment of other players on the team.

I just don't know what to say about that bolded part.

Terry Rozier this year is a well below average NBA player. He's one of the worst shooters in the NBA at the guard position - he's 7 points worse than Marcus in TS%, which is a *lot*, and his shot selection is really bad for team offense (hero ball shots without any passes) and often negatively effects our defense (he drives into multiple defenders and misses, which destroys the team's floor balance and invites opposing team fast breaks). He's a much inferior defender, who makes flashy plays sometimes but fails at the fundamentals again and again and again. And then there is Marcus' knack for making big plays at the end of games, exactly the opposite of Terry.

If Smart is out for the second round, which I assume is going to be the case, we are in big trouble.

Look, I like Smart.  He seems like a gritty player who works as hard as he can on the court and you need guys like that.  It even seems like he's starting to figure it out and put in work in the off-season to improve his game (most guys don't wait until they've signed their second contract to do that but c'est la vie)- I think we're all thrilled he's no longer a historically bad offensive player.

The fact is he's the most replaceable player on the team since they have a stable of guards who can play Stevens system and play it well.  This is not a knock on Smart, it's just reality.  I'll give you that Rozier has had a down year and has played like a guy trying to prove he's the man rather than trying to sacrifice for his teammates, but I also watched Smart do the exact same thing for three years before getting his new long-term deal. 

We've seen Jaylen and Rozier in the playoffs - they both elevate their games.  I'm not worried at all about those guys.  There's a reason this organization weirdly refused to trade them for either Paul George or Kawhi in favor of burying them on the bench all season.

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2019, 07:18:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I really have to scratch my head and wonder what people are seeing who suggest that Jaylen and Rozier are simply going to replace what Smart brings to the table.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I really have to scratch my head and wonder what people are seeing who suggest that Jaylen and Rozier are simply going to replace what Smart brings to the table.

Probably can't see too much through all the drug smoke.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2019, 08:03:04 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
This is definitely unfortunate.  I like Smart and what he brings to the table, but he's the most replaceable player on the team. 

There's not any real drop off between his play and that of Jaylen Brown or Terry Rozier in terms of total basketball talent. 

Now his defense can be exceptional, but the Pacers have a bunch of guards that are barely NBA players.  They're old, unathletic, and completely unintimidating without Oladipo.  The last thing the Celtics need is a "lock-down" defensive guard in this series.

I'm actually glad Smart won't be available for this series because I think Brad bends over backwards to provide Smart with unnecessary minutes for a role player to the detriment of other players on the team.

I just don't know what to say about that bolded part.

Terry Rozier this year is a well below average NBA player. He's one of the worst shooters in the NBA at the guard position - he's 7 points worse than Marcus in TS%, which is a *lot*, and his shot selection is really bad for team offense (hero ball shots without any passes) and often negatively effects our defense (he drives into multiple defenders and misses, which destroys the team's floor balance and invites opposing team fast breaks). He's a much inferior defender, who makes flashy plays sometimes but fails at the fundamentals again and again and again. And then there is Marcus' knack for making big plays at the end of games, exactly the opposite of Terry.

If Smart is out for the second round, which I assume is going to be the case, we are in big trouble.

Look, I like Smart.  He seems like a gritty player who works as hard as he can on the court and you need guys like that.  It even seems like he's starting to figure it out and put in work in the off-season to improve his game (most guys don't wait until they've signed their second contract to do that but c'est la vie)- I think we're all thrilled he's no longer a historically bad offensive player.

The fact is he's the most replaceable player on the team since they have a stable of guards who can play Stevens system and play it well.  This is not a knock on Smart, it's just reality.  I'll give you that Rozier has had a down year and has played like a guy trying to prove he's the man rather than trying to sacrifice for his teammates, but I also watched Smart do the exact same thing for three years before getting his new long-term deal. 

We've seen Jaylen and Rozier in the playoffs - they both elevate their games.  I'm not worried at all about those guys.  There's a reason this organization weirdly refused to trade them for either Paul George or Kawhi in favor of burying them on the bench all season.

Smart's intensity and overall defensive intelligence is not something you can easily replace. I mean Rozier gets abused on pindowns and switches. He also gives up positioning easily. Brown is a very good one-on-one defender but he can't direct traffic like Marcus does and he just have an average off-ball awareness.

Marcus always direct his teammates to the right spot if they are out of position. Not to mention, his versatility is something we will miss. I already mentioned earlier that Rozier is a liability on defense.

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2019, 08:06:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I mean Jaylen was arguably as good or better than him as recently as last postseason. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if he plays up to his potential he can greatly mitigate the loss.

And as much as I hate Rozier he does seem to play better with more minutes.

To me the list of smart is less about basketball skills which various people on this team can replace to varying degrees, and more about the attitude and hustle he brings to the game.