Author Topic: Who are the best four coahes in Basketball  (Read 4377 times)

Re: Who are the best four coahes in Basketball
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 08:33:19 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Stevens
Coach K
Kerr
Dwayne Casey

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 09:11:35 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No Popovich?

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 09:35:16 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I love Steve Kerr, but I have a funny feeling that he will be a top-tier coach as long as he is coaching 2 MVPs and 4 Allstars. Translation: just about any coach would look good with that squad. Frank Vogel would be known as a shrewd strategist, Steve Clifford would show everyone his lucidness.

It reminds me a bit of how Russell was a great coach as long as he was a player-coach.
I repeat, I love Steve.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 09:50:17 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Coaching jobs this year:

Stevens
Casey
Brown
Pop

in probably roughly that order.

Best coaches overall?  In no order

Pop
Stevens
Snyder
D'Antoni

with Spoelstra and Brown close behind.

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I love Steve Kerr, but I have a funny feeling that he will be a top-tier coach as long as he is coaching 2 MVPs and 4 Allstars. Translation: just about any coach would look good with that squad. Frank Vogel would be known as a shrewd strategist, Steve Clifford would show everyone his lucidness.

It reminds me a bit of how Russell was a great coach as long as he was a player-coach.
I repeat, I love Steve.
under Mark Jackson the Warriors won 51 games, but lost in the 1st round.  They replaced Jackson with Kerr, they won 67 games and the NBA title the next season.  They followed that up with the 73 win season and then another 67 win title season. 

Obviously it is easier to win and win a lot when you have elite talent, but when you take basically the same team that lost in the 1st round and improve it 16 wins and win the title, you are a better coach than your predecessor. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 10:24:02 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I repeat, I love Steve.
under Mark Jackson the Warriors won 51 games, but lost in the 1st round.  They replaced Jackson with Kerr, they won 67 games and the NBA title the next season.  They followed that up with the 73 win season and then another 67 win title season. 

Obviously it is easier to win and win a lot when you have elite talent, but when you take basically the same team that lost in the 1st round and improve it 16 wins and win the title, you are a better coach than your predecessor.
I have put Kerr in the 5-8 tier. I rate him pretty high. Check it out on the 1st page.
I wiew your arguments more as Mark Jacksons faliure.
Taking his team to church...spare us Mark.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I repeat, I love Steve.

That's not a very good argument to make in my opinion in this particular case just because Golden State was filled with very young players who'd make leaps each year. Now Mark Jackson did some really good things there, and he was fired for non-basketball related reasons pretty much (though those reasons could affect performance as well).

Now, I do think Kerr is quite the better coach, but the whole argument of "basically the same team" is a bit lost on me when considering a young roster which is including breakout performances from an MVP caliber player (which may or may not have been aided by the coaching, who knows... let's not forget the performance under Luke Walton).

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I repeat, I love Steve.

That's a bit of an inaccurate way to look at it.
Draymond went from a decent bench big to one of the most impacting players in the league.
They added Iggy and Shaun Livingston, one of whom went on to be the Finals MVP that year. Klay Thompson also improved a decent amount on the offensive end.
Then in the 73 win year they had Curry playing absolutely out of his mind. So to say it was 'basically the same team' is incredibly false
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 12:02:47 PM »

Offline Grindfather

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • First Team All-Defense
CBS
POP
Thibs
Carlisle

I'd argue at this point that Thibs is overall a bad head coach and the Wolves would be better off without him.

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Pop
 Kerr
 Stevens
 D'Antoni?

I'm not a big fan of the latter, but who else deserves recognition for being the on the Mount Rushmore of coaches.

Pop, Stevens, Casey and Kerr

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 04:35:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Popovich
Carlisle
Spoelstra
Stevens

I guess I'm not surprised that no one else mentioned Carlisle but I think he's incredible. He just hasn't had the players that other good coaches have had.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 06:14:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Brad
Pop
Spo
Snyder
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 10:42:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
No Popovich?
Overrated.
As over rated as Bill Belichick.
Both are similar in that both of them needed their star players far more than the players needed them. Both are exceptionally lucky to have ended up with those players. Both were nothing special till they got those players. Both did very well with those players.