Author Topic: Scary possibility or not possible?  (Read 1825 times)

Scary possibility or not possible?
« on: May 03, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Could Philly realistically trade for Kawhi and sign PG13 with cap space?  that would be rough although we are adding KI and GH to the current team hitting the floor tonight.

although I know PG13 could just pull a CP3 and be traded to the team of his choice. 

Re: Scary possibility or not possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 01:47:03 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
It kind of looks that way, but the cap is not my area of strength:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/PHI.html

But even if they only got Kawhi, imagine the rebirth of the rivalry. Simmons, Embiid and Leonard against Horford, Irving, Hayward and J&J.

Mike

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It's a possibility. From what I've seen, they can actually do it.

However, there are a lot of moving parts in deals like that.

The Spurs were one of the first team's to evaluate personalities and focus on the mental part of the game. I don't think they would be interested in Fultz for that reason. They may like Saric, but he's not enough in a trade for Leonard.

Maybe Covington, Saric, and draft picks would be enough to get it done, but I doubt that is the best offer the Spurs would get for Leonard.

As far as George goes, he is an LA kid who wants to be back in LA. He might go somewhere else, but I doubt it.

Technically it's possible. It's not like the "writing is one the wall" though.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
It seems about 90% that PG will go to LA if he is signing with a new team. He has regularly spoken of wanting to go there and their situation has only improved since he did so (Ingram showed massive improvement, Kuzma shockingly good, freed up extra cap space). If I could ask one thing of the board it would be that we stop constantly freaking out about the absolute best fantasy offseason for the 76ers. I don't even see this optimistic stuff on Liberty Ballers.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 02:39:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Any deal to send Kawhi to Philly should include one of Simmons or Embiid if I was SA.  Kawhi is a top player in the league.  Fultz/Saric/Covington as the focal point of a deal isn't close to getting a deal done.  Fultz' status as the #1 pick doesn't matter --> his performance, or more accurately his lack of performance, this past season has decreased his value for a deal. 

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 02:47:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
It seems about 90% that PG will go to LA if he is signing with a new team. He has regularly spoken of wanting to go there and their situation has only improved since he did so (Ingram showed massive improvement, Kuzma shockingly good, freed up extra cap space). If I could ask one thing of the board it would be that we stop constantly freaking out about the absolute best fantasy offseason for the 76ers. I don't even see this optimistic stuff on Liberty Ballers.

Sixers are going to be very good long-term -- depending mostly on the health of Embiid and the shot (which I would bet will improve significantly) of Simmons.    C's will also be good.  I am excited for the rivalry.   C's battled some pretty dang good teams in the East throughout the 80's and it's good to have this level of competition.

My biggest source of discomfort is always the Lakers.  As much as I dislike the tank job Philly did to get where they are, they used the rules to their advantage and made some excellent deals.  No one is ever going to Philly unless they are on the verge of (or are) contending.    LAL tanks, frees cap space, and becomes a contender because big names always want to go there (they then use there tank-based assets to build around their acquired stars).  I despise that franchise intensely as irrational as it is to do so.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 02:53:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
It's possible.

But for Leonard trade, it really depends on how SAS views Fultz. If they don't want him, then I don't think PHI can acquire Leonard without giving up an Embiid or Simmons (lol). But come on, is SAS really taking back Covington, Saric and a pick for Leonard? Is that really the best offer they are going to get from other teams?

But yeah, it's possible. I still think George goes to LAL though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 02:57:02 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don’t buy the idea that Philly will sign an A list free agent. I believe Simmons and Embiid already see themselves as being at that level. They are the faces of the organization. I don’t see them willing to taking a back seat to an A list free agent making max money. I definitely don’t see LeBron going there, as his mentality is you can only win with veterans.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 03:06:35 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Any deal to send Kawhi to Philly should include one of Simmons or Embiid if I was SA.  Kawhi is a top player in the league.  Fultz/Saric/Covington as the focal point of a deal isn't close to getting a deal done.  Fultz' status as the #1 pick doesn't matter --> his performance, or more accurately his lack of performance, this past season has decreased his value for a deal.

I think any Kawhi trade assumes he's basically demanded a trade/saying he won't re-sign with San Antonio, forcing them to receive well under market value.  Kinda like what everyone thought was a crap offer for Paul George last year.  Plus it will further limit offers if Kawhi's camp says he won't re-sign with anybody but Philly (again like Paul George).

So a basis of Fultz+Saric+Covington (if San Antonio likes him) or Bayless (if San Antonio doesn't want to commit to salary) seems reasonable to me assuming Kawhi is forcing their hand.   Philly can also attach the likely #10 pick and/or #26, plus has all it's own future firsts plus 8 seconds over the next 3 years to sweeten the pot as needed.

Forget Leonard+George, it's definitely possible to pull off Leonard+LeBron while keeping Simmons and Embiid (but pretty much nothing else).

I'm not sure how the Leonard situation will shake out, but if Houston fails to make it to the Finals, my money's on James forcing a trade to Houston the same way Chris Paul did.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:25:38 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Agree.  But if that is the best offer they get (throw in Laker pick as well), it may pressure Ainge to give up one of the two J's to trump them; because while current configuration of the Sixers doesn't threaten fully healthy Celtic roster, they would be super tough by adding Leonard.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It's possible.

But for Leonard trade, it really depends on how SAS views Fultz. If they don't want him, then I don't think PHI can acquire Leonard without giving up an Embiid or Simmons (lol). But come on, is SAS really taking back Covington, Saric and a pick for Leonard? Is that really the best offer they are going to get from other teams?

That might be the best offer they get for Leonard (especially if the pick is 10).  I mean half this board wouldn't give up Brown or Tatum in a deal for Leonard.  The Lakers probably won't give up much more than Ingram.  What other teams out there really make sense both for Leonard long term and that have assets that San Antonio might want?  And even if San Antonio doesn't love Fultz, why wouldn't they acquire him if for no other reason as a potential asset as I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would acquire Fultz for something that San Antonio might want.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 04:39:16 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
It's possible.

That might be the best offer they get for Leonard (especially if the pick is 10).  I mean half this board wouldn't give up Brown or Tatum in a deal for Leonard.  The Lakers probably won't give up much more than Ingram.  What other teams out there really make sense both for Leonard long term and that have assets that San Antonio might want?  And even if San Antonio doesn't love Fultz, why wouldn't they acquire him if for no other reason as a potential asset as I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would acquire Fultz for something that San Antonio might want.

the lakers may give up more than ingram if it means lebron comes

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 04:44:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."