Author Topic: C's roster 9-17 needs totally rebuilt!  (Read 5218 times)

Re: C's roster 9-17 needs totally rebuilt!
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 12:31:14 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We're the youngest team in the NBA.

Look it up. Seriously.

Give them time to develop.
The question is do we want to give it time .
We are not contenders but I think we can be with a few moves.
I’m ok either way.
As the the OP, I do think we can consolidate 2-3 guys that are currently not used.
I LOVE Tremont lots of upside imo.
Here is my question to you.

Are we not contenders because of the role players who play between 10 to 20 MPG (less in the playoffs) or because of our top 5 guys playing 30+ MPG?

Because if its the first sure ship of a young guy and some picks for a Jordan Clarkson type. If its the second, you need to either make a bigger move or be ready to build around the Js when they are good enough via development.
I think it’s the role players that need an upgrade.
Ideally an experienced vet with some playoff experience.
Also I think the team situation is a bit unfair for the young ones not been able to showcase their talent.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 12:38:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Right now, I see three guys that may not be long term NBA players.   Edwards (unless his 3 point shot starts to fall), Green (nice story but can't shoot), and Poirier (no time on the court so how can we the fans really tell)

The rest have shown NBA level skills and uses.   

The problem with the Celtics bench is the lack of one more Vet that knows how to play in the NBA, not the skills (minus outside shooting) 

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 01:37:08 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
The OP’s argument is that the players who are not playing are responsible for... what, exactly?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 01:43:37 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
The OP’s argument is that the players who are not playing are responsible for... what, exactly?
They are responsible for being unplayable when we need them. In a way it’s Danny’s fault

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 01:47:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Does 9 -15 matter that much in the playoffs when teams play 8?   

At that point, 9-15 need specialized skills that allows them to specific matchup jobs. 

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 01:48:35 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
...Green (nice story but can't shoot)

And yet somehow he’s got a TS% of .627 - not bad for someone who can’t shoot.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
Does 9 -15 matter that much in the playoffs when teams play 8?   

At that point, 9-15 need specialized skills that allows them to specific matchup jobs.

My point exactly.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 01:54:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
...Green (nice story but can't shoot)

And yet somehow he’s got a TS% of .627 - not bad for someone who can’t shoot.

He knows what he is.   Someone who is going to take it to the hoop.   31% 3 point shooting on half a 3 point shot per game.  I know, limited data set. 

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
They are responsible for being unplayable when we need them. In a way it’s Danny’s fault

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
players who are in the 10-17 slots aren't making a big contribution to winning or losing either way.  I have no idea why you want the complete end of the bench replaced.

We could however, use
1) a more reliable scoring option off the bench, and
2) some tall / long guy that plays good def, rebounds well and won't get killed in pick and roll to shore up our bigs since Timelord doesn't seem to be back anytime soon.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
This team hasn't been struggling because of the end of its bench. It's been struggling because the starters have frequently been ran off the court by lesser players.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 02:35:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Can't you do the same for just about every team's back half of the roster?

Yes.
Yes and no.  Obviously no one goes 1-17 strong, but the C's have an inordinate amount of inexperienced players that have no business being a top tier team.  I've made the argument several times the last few seasons, that one of the reasons for this is that Ainge doesn't really think this team is a contender and he is just trying to find players that could be contributors once Tatum and/or Brown hit their peak (with the hope that their peak is a franchise player type level). 

I mean look at the Bucks. They have no rookies on the team at all (even the TW aren't rookies).  They have 3 guys in their 2nd year and 3 guys in their 3rd year.  They only have 1 4th year and 1 5th year guy.   Of their top 12 minutes getters only DiVincenzo is younger than Giannis.  The Lakers, Clippers, Rockets, Sixers, Jazz, Nuggets, etc. aren't all that much different either.  Teams that believe they can win the title don't stock their roster with 1st and 2nd year players, especially when those guys are late 1st or 2nd round picks. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
 ::)
Can't you do the same for just about every team's back half of the roster?

Yes.
Yes and no.  Obviously no one goes 1-17 strong, but the C's have an inordinate amount of inexperienced players that have no business being a top tier team.  I've made the argument several times the last few seasons, that one of the reasons for this is that Ainge doesn't really think this team is a contender and he is just trying to find players that could be contributors once Tatum and/or Brown hit their peak (with the hope that their peak is a franchise player type level). 

I mean look at the Bucks. They have no rookies on the team at all (even the TW aren't rookies).  They have 3 guys in their 2nd year and 3 guys in their 3rd year.  They only have 1 4th year and 1 5th year guy.   Of their top 12 minutes getters only DiVincenzo is younger than Giannis.  The Lakers, Clippers, Rockets, Sixers, Jazz, Nuggets, etc. aren't all that much different either.  Teams that believe they can win the title don't stock their roster with 1st and 2nd year players, especially when those guys are late 1st or 2nd round picks.
I think Danny is just forced to make draft picks and he hopes he hits the jackpot. Unfortunately he hasn’t

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
semi and wannee and 2-3 others need to sign up in Beijing

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 03:09:27 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If the 11-17 guys on your roster play anything besides garbage time, the team is I'm trouble. And nobody capable of being a rotation player will take that role anyway.

This team needs to add one or two decent rotation players (a vet shooter, please), but getting rid of half the team just because they're young/end of roster players is a huge overreaction
I'm bitter.