Poll

Tatum, Brown, IT4 (sign and trade) for....

Davis
16 (53.3%)
Leonard
14 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Who would you trade for Davis or Leonard? (Poll)  (Read 3689 times)

Who would you trade for Davis or Leonard? (Poll)
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jumping the gun a little here... But hypothetically if either Davis or Leonard are availble after this seasom and both Pelicans/Spurs are willing to take Celts offer (Tatum, Brown, IT4 (sign and trade))..

Which player would you choose?

Scenerio for 2017/2018 season -  Celts lose to the Cavs in a convincing fashion again or dont make it to the ECF.

Pelicans season ends up a mess and want to clean house.  Trade or plan to everyone on the roster for the purpose to rebuild...

The Spurs drop to a middle of the pack team. Popovich will not return after his contract expires.   As well the team is thinking about cleanning house to rebuild

Which player would bring the Celts closer to a championship?

Re: Who would you trade for Davis or Leonard? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'll ignore the awful trade idea and focus on the Leonard vs. Davis:

Leonard 100%, final answer.  Davis looks like he could turn into an MVP candidate someday, but Leonard already is one and has great playoff experience. He's the best 2-way player in the league and the perfect player for defending both Lebron and Durant.  You put him on the current team (minus rookies/picks) and we would be the favorites in the east, with a good chance at unseating GSW as well

Edit: That said, he should not and will not be traded
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Leonard 100%, final answer.  Davis looks like he could turn into an MVP candidate someday, but Leonard already is one and has great playoff experience. He's the best 2-way player in the league and the perfect player for defending both Lebron and Durant.  You put him on the current team (minus rookies/picks) and we would be the favorites in the east, with a good chance at unseating GSW as well

Unless Pop quits coaching. No spring chicken.  He'd probably demand trade to Eastern Conference the next day.

A guy can dream right??

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They won't be trading Leonard. Davis has a chance to be disgruntled.

The answer is always if the price is fair

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Unless Pop quits coaching. No spring chicken.  He'd probably demand trade to Eastern Conference the next day.

A guy can dream right??

I can't see Pop retiring without essentially crowning a successor.  And I think that would be enough to get Leonard to stay (or, at least not demand a trade), along with having the chance to be a lifetime Spur like Duncan, Manu, and Parker
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Jumping the gun a little here... But hypothetically if either Davis or Leonard are availble after this seasom and both Pelicans/Spurs are willing to take Celts offer (Tatum, Brown, IT4 (sign and trade))..

Which player would you choose?

Scenerio for 2017/2018 season -  Celts lose to the Cavs in a convincing fashion again or dont make it to the ECF.

Pelicans season ends up a mess and want to clean house.  Trade or plan to everyone on the roster for the purpose to rebuild...

The Spurs drop to a middle of the pack team. Popovich will not return after his contract expires.   As well the team is thinking about cleanning house to rebuild

Which player would bring the Celts closer to a championship?

I wouldn't give up this for Davis, I'd go the pick route; All three 2018 picks, plus salary to match.

This still leaves us Brown/Tatum/Davis/Hayward for the future.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kawhi 100%

In my opinion he's the best two way player in the league, and I'd even take him over Durant (probably in the minority on that one, :P ).

Davis is no doubt a beast, but Kawhi is next level.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 12:04:19 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Davis = more talented than Kawhi. Most gifted player in the league alongside LeBron.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Kawhi injury history and less size are enough to not go for him

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
My initial reaction would be the franchise big man. But looking over the last decade of NBA champions, you can argue none if them really had a legit franchise big man (you can argue SA with Duncan).

So I would probably go with the elite 2 way wing player.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:05:33 PM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Kawhi 100%

In my opinion he's the best two way player in the league, and I'd even take him over Durant (probably in the minority on that one, :P ).

Davis is no doubt a beast, but Kawhi is next level.
I pretty much agree with this.  Davis is awesome but kawhi knows how to win and he is much sturdier health wise.

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Leonard is the best player in the NBA.... which is probably why he will never be traded, they will do everything possible to keep him, even if it meant making him a player-coach.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Leonard is the best player in the NBA.... which is probably why he will never be traded, they will do everything possible to keep him, even if it meant making him a player-coach.

KG once was the best player in the league or top 5 and we got him via trade

Maybe Leonard doesnt mind staying in the middle of the pack but the Spurs organization will...

Unless the Spurs can replace Manu, Parker type talents...they wont be relevant in the west

SA is also not a top destination for FAs. They have built their success through the draft

By the time this happens again, Leonard is 38 years old and irrelevant

This is why I think he could be traded for...  Especially if Popovich is not back as coach after his contract which ends soon. I think he is going to retire

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I wouldn't do that deal for either, but if I had to Davis

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

So what type of offer works then?

Pelicans and Spurs wont let these players go easily. Overpayment is likely in order