Author Topic: Knicks (4-14) at Celtics (9-8) Game#18 11/21/2018  (Read 43833 times)

Re: Knicks (4-14) at Celtics (9-8) Game#18 11/21/2018
« Reply #690 on: November 21, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Imagine being a score first point guard (rozier) and putting up a goose egg
His first game with 0, but he's had one 3 point game, three 4 point games and one 5 point game. Exactly 1/3 of the time Terry scores 5 points or less

It's basically like the way he performed prior to his breakout game last season where he started and played 30+ minutes. I think he's one of those players that needs time out on the floor to get himself into rhythm and work himself into the game. When he has less time to make an impact he tries too hard and fails. He needs some tips from the likes of Lou Williams or Tyreke Evans on how to impact the game in short bursts.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #691 on: November 21, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
biggest difference between last year's team and this year's team is the frequency with which open shots were made last year and missed this year.   if the team was shooting like it did last year, we'd be talking about knocking off GSW. 

Brad can't shoot the shots or make the FTs for these guys but he's got to change his offensive philosophy from bombing away from the get go to getting buckets close in to warm up the shooters.
I agree. Stevens will trot out some odd lineups. But today, I thought he stuck with whomever was playing well - within reason. You can't play Kyrie 40+ minutes against the Knicks in November.

Brad is not the problem.

See, this is where I disagree. Managing the talent is the primary job of NBA coaches, whether that be their expectations, their roles, their egos, or even their energy and motivation.

I don't think anyone disagrees that these guys are in their own heads now, and it's affecting their play at both ends. The fact that Brad has not been able to remedy this issue nearly a quarter of the way into the season is a major red flag. Guys are not playing with regular energy, intensity, or motivation - and that's on the coaching staff by not properly having their guys ready for games and managing these issues.

Combine this with the other issues - the inflexibility with his offensive philosophy, questionable rotations and decision-making, not clarifying roles, etc. - and the coaching staff clearly is a primary factor in this failure of a season thus far.

Players also bear some of the responsibility, but this is coaching 101 stuff that the coaching staff can't get a handle on.
It's not that I think Stevens and co. should get no blame. They do. Some of our problems are not new - going down early and taking far too many mid-range shots. A large part of that, if not most, is on the coaches.

I just don't think he should be on the hot seat at all. Even with all the expectations, he's earned lots of time to figure things out. And he has a track record of doing so.

Well, I disagree about the track record. He's done amazing things with little talent (and definitely has bought himself some time to figure this out), but I don't think he really has any experience in this kind of situation, which is kind of the problem.

I don't know. He clearly won't be fired this year, and I'm not sure that I want that. I'm pretty frustrated with him, but I'm still willing to give him this year to figure it out (as I hate midyear coaching changes), regardless of what I get caught up saying in the game threads at times.  ;) Additionally, there's no one coach on the market right now that would make sense as a midseason replacement, though if Bud didn't go to Milwaukee this summer I think he would've been a really great coach for us.

I do think Danny needs to be putting some pressure on him, though. Only now is he making even  incremental changes, but he's done nothing to best manage the guys' emotions and keeping them motivated, which is his primary purpose as an NBA coach.

« Reply #692 on: November 21, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Imagine being a score first point guard (rozier) and putting up a goose egg
His first game with 0, but he's had one 3 point game, three 4 point games and one 5 point game. Exactly 1/3 of the time Terry scores 5 points or less

It's basically like the way he performed prior to his breakout game last season where he started and played 30+ minutes. I think he's one of those players that needs time out on the floor to get himself into rhythm and work himself into the game. When he has less time to make an impact he tries too hard and fails. He needs some tips from the likes of Lou Williams or Tyreke Evans on how to impact the game in short bursts.
Agree. If he was able to learn from Lou it'd be awesome
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #693 on: November 21, 2018, 10:50:08 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The only positve I can think of Hayward finally bringing in sone aggressiveness.. Hope he is more aggresaive and stop passing up shots when its there.

Missed a bunch of FT and missed a lot of open threes which basically means this was suppose to be a winnable game.

Morris should start IMO and replace Baynes.. See if that changes our plan of attack.
Would you be happy if Hayward goes to his prior form but we miss the playoffs in the process?
This ridiculousness all about Hayward has to stop we were fine without him... >:(
Lol, you can't be attributing the terrible play of our young guys to Hayward merely being there, can you?

I don't know if NKY fan is blaming Hayward for the youngsters' poor play, but there are most definitely some people on this blog who do, in fact, blame Hayward.

But I'm with you: blaming Hayward is absurd.

I understand that players get used to certain rhythms—when they play, how many minutes they play, etc.—but these guys are professional basketball players, and they need to make shots. Period. Full stop.

When Tatum or Brown or anyone else on this team goes up for a shot and misses—and does this repeatedly—it's not because Hayward's now in the lineup, or because their minutes have been altered, or because of anything like that; it's because of what's going on between their ears. With few exceptions, the current players on the Boston Celtics are so lost inside their own minds, so gunshy, so afraid of failure, that they're barely functioning as basketball players. It's like when Chuck Knoblauch could no longer make a simple throw from second base to first. My Dad finds it amazing that an entire team can go cold, and for extended periods, and I agree: How can you have an entire team of professional basketball players go cold for long stretches? And not just any team, but a team that has multiple all-stars and multiple rising stars?

I don't know if it's because these guys bought into their own hype, or if it's because of something else, but they've created a nightmare scenario for themselves and for their fans. There's still time to right the ship, but not as much as some might think; if they don't figure it out, this could go down as the worst/most disappointing season in Celtics history.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #694 on: November 21, 2018, 10:58:15 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1065451802743767042?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1065451802743767042&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Brad Stevens: "We’re not playing with the same personality we played with last year. That’s the easiest way to describe it. And then the 50,000 issues that are below that, we have to tackle one at a time."

And whose job is it to ensure that doesn't happen, Sherlock??  And hasn't this been evident since, like, the first half of the first preseason game?  ::)

« Reply #695 on: November 22, 2018, 12:18:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Time to get Hayward out.  We've been awful with him on the floor.

geez, hayward is NOT looking good .

geez, hayward is NOT looking good .
Might be good idea to shut him down for a few weeks

Hayward looks very good tonight

Hayward looks very good tonight
I agree.

Anyone still think Hayward is the problem?

I didn't get to watch the game so was reading through the thread for a bit of entertainment...did Hayward actually play well or not?  ???
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #696 on: November 22, 2018, 12:23:08 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Trey Burke with 30 and 11? PGs are circling us on their calendars right now.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #697 on: November 22, 2018, 06:10:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When Tatum or Brown or anyone else on this team goes up for a shot and misses—and does this repeatedly—it's not because Hayward's now in the lineup, or because their minutes have been altered, or because of anything like that; it's because of what's going on between their ears

I agree it 's mental not sure about the gunshy stuff but TP to you.

Anyone still think Hayward is the problem?

I was pleased with Hayward's game last night.   Tatum looks to be rounding into form.  I never thought Hayward was the problem.   Fans have to have someone to blame and I have always thought it was our shooting.

It's the cute attitude (that we are better than we are) that we have been playing with coupled with poor shooting that has been our bane.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:19:24 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #698 on: November 22, 2018, 08:46:59 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Trae Young & Dennis Smith Jr. are preparing for their All Star bids in the next few days.

« Reply #699 on: November 22, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1065451802743767042?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1065451802743767042&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Brad Stevens: "We’re not playing with the same personality we played with last year. That’s the easiest way to describe it. And then the 50,000 issues that are below that, we have to tackle one at a time."

And whose job is it to ensure that doesn't happen, Sherlock??  And hasn't this been evident since, like, the first half of the first preseason game?  ::)

At first , i blamed alot on the stupid shortest pre season.  I m done with that excuse.  They look lost , and that ismthe coaches job to,see that does not happen. 

Its time for the Celtics to,step up as a team

Ultimately Stevens is their leader ....its HIS job to whip them into shape.  Not wait on the tooth fairy to come along and whisper ...Time to play ball boys . 

I don't care to watch a Celtic team with Lackadaisical attitude.