Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 359492 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #630 on: March 03, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Boring episode. Seasons staring to show a lot of filler as the show has started to inch closer to where the comics are out currently. Cant have them running out of source material.

They're still a hundred issues or so from where the comics are, so they're at least another 2 or 3 full seasons from worrying about that.

The problem is that they extended the Governor storyline halfway into this season, leaving themselves a bunch of episodes to fill but not wanting to immediately jump into the next big storyline.  I think they pulled it off with the Governor but they're clearly just killing time in creative ways before they start setting things up for season 5.

Mike

« Reply #631 on: March 03, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Boring episode. Seasons staring to show a lot of filler as the show has started to inch closer to where the comics are out currently. Cant have them running out of source material.

They're still a hundred issues or so from where the comics are, so they're at least another 2 or 3 full seasons from worrying about that.

The problem is that they extended the Governor storyline halfway into this season, leaving themselves a bunch of episodes to fill but not wanting to immediately jump into the next big storyline.  I think they pulled it off with the Governor but they're clearly just killing time in creative ways before they start setting things up for season 5.

Mike

I see a lot of people here actually read the comic...I actually like spoilers every now and then, can someone actually fill me in on the comic as to what happened (PM me :D)

« Reply #632 on: March 03, 2014, 05:25:04 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Mike

I just looked at my second compendium and they are about through Chapter 9...Each chapter is 6 issues so they are about 54 issues in out of 127. But its interesting because a lot of chapter 10 includes stuff already done in the series like Rick hallucinating his dead wife and stuff like that. So they could be around 58-60. Anyways I agree they still have a ways to go, but they have to keep the future in mind and not blaze through the source material.

Also wanted to add that I can see this show going 10 seasons maybe even more. AMC is going to milk this thing until it's dry.

« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
Filler= Material that could be cut and have no effect on the progression of the show. Plot = Governor attacks prison, everyone separated, They meet abraham, eguene, rosita, They go to DC. That is the underlying plot. Im not the only one blasting this episode, a ton of people online are. I'm sorry but I and most people don't watch the walking dead to have Beth nag about wanting to find a drink for 20 minutes. THey could of spliced the whole episode up into like 15-20 minutes and literally nothing would of been lost. Here is a good verbalization of what I'm trying to say. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SJcECB4rQ Seriously read the comments, nearly everyone hates it.

Yes The walking dead refers to the people themselves, but that is more figurative and a play on words. If you went up to 98% of people watching the show they'd all say the walking dead=zombies. And I don't think the third season killed daryl at all...His popularity escalated all throughout season 3 and even this season. And Tyreese is safe? I could see him taking on Dale's role...

Also I'd bet Beth dies in the upcoming episode. If not then definitely this season. #KillBeth2014
[/quote]
just because something is popular doesnt mean its good art or just even good in general... can you honestly say you thought daryl was ever in any danger when he was captured by the guv ? i don't care for beth but the reason i would be disappointed if she dies is because it is becoming predictable. whenever a minor character starts talking more they get killed... thats just lazy writing. you don't create art to appeal to the masses and what everyone wants. the audience will never be satisfied. you make a quality walking dead show by sticking to what made your franchise successful in the first place and that was getting people to care about the fictional characters by displaying their underlying thought processes/emotions. why should the producers/writers care about what you want to see? idk how else to say it but if you dont watch this show for character development then you are watching for the wrong reasons. you're going to be seriously disappointed in the show when you really find out about DC and eugenes mission. this show isnt about the zombies or a cure. its about human struggle and how people survive differently. the only point i agree with you is that the individual episodes can ruin pacing but the main point im making is that the show is character driven and last nights episode was necessary. it affects the plot going forward because it is intended to humanize these underdeveloped characters so when the #2 hits the fan it has more of an impact. you would think i'm a huge fan of the show by my persistence of trying to argue my points but i actually think the show is very very sub par compared to the books. i have faith in gimple and i beleive going forward, season 5, will be a dramatically different style of show but for the better. the majority of the "remixes" from the source material has failed but i thought extending shanes role worked very well. but hey man hope i didnt tic you off or anything but lets just agree to disagree
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #634 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:20 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
I agree with you that good shows have character development, I just think the writing of Walking dead is not very good. However the makeup and actions parts are always usually excellent, thats why I prefer them. I'm a big Breaking Bad fan and shows like that you never noticed filler because it was so flawlessly acted and written it just flowed perfectly.

TWD lacks amazing writers and an entirely amazing cast. I think Andrew Lincoln, whomever plays Michonne, The Governor, Herschel, Carol, and Tyreese from what I've seen are all consistently good actors. The others are good at times but in other times they are spotty. Dont know if it's because they are written poorly or acted poorly it's hard to tell sometimes. This is why I think a lot of people prefer the action episodes, because they are so hard to screw up.

« Reply #635 on: March 09, 2014, 09:56:50 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Show was a bit boring last night

I look for Beth to get munched ...  Usually happens when a character appears on Talking Dead , within three shows.

Not digging her character at all...expendable with all new females added

The recent episodes have been really slow. If this was earlier in the series it would probably be killing the ratings.

« Reply #636 on: March 09, 2014, 10:03:34 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Really has fallen off
haven't seen new ep yet
but if I crashed early i prolly wouldn't miss a thing

« Reply #637 on: March 10, 2014, 02:08:34 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
Really has fallen off
haven't seen new ep yet
but if I crashed early i prolly wouldn't miss a thing

I agree, its frustrating watching the TV show suck when they have such cool comic book source material they could just get to and it'd be good again.

The groups coming back together only took like 3 issues...Apparently this season it takes 8 episodes...

« Reply #638 on: March 10, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
last two episodes have been head and shoulders above any since season 2.

dialog is still bad and the characters are still really one-note, but the pacing is unreal compared to the earlier episodes.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #639 on: March 10, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
last two episodes have been head and shoulders above any since season 2.

dialog is still bad and the characters are still really one-note, but the pacing is unreal compared to the earlier episodes.

I liked last night's episode a lot; I didn't love the prior one quite as much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #640 on: March 10, 2014, 03:18:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I'm just stoked that they've finally figured out how to make the characters breathe. If you rewatch Season 2 it's obvious that writer's room didn't really have any idea what to do with characters that had to be in the same place and not constantly on the run.

And that they've gone away from Rick, who stopped being useful as a story-telling device almost as soon as they killed off Shane.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #641 on: March 10, 2014, 03:54:46 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
And that they've gone away from Rick, who stopped being useful as a story-telling device almost as soon as they killed off Shane.

Well, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  In the comics, Shane was killed off in issue 6 which meant his conflict with Rick was far less central to the story or the character.  But, while I think what the comic did with Shane was very strong, would anyone have been happy with less Jon Bernthal?

Mike

« Reply #642 on: March 10, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Well, it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  In the comics, Shane was killed off in issue 6 which meant his conflict with Rick was far less central to the story or the character.  But, while I think what the comic did with Shane was very strong, would anyone have been happy with less Jon Bernthal?

Mike

The problem is that, especially in the beginning of the show, they weren't fleshed out characters. They were archtypes. That wasn't a big issue through season 1, since they were constantly on the run, but when they had to settle in to the farm for the entire season (which wasn't a creative decision, but a budgetary one), the show suffered. They had to spend a whole season on what was really one main conflict (Shane vs. Rick) that could've culminated much faster had they been allowed to burn the farm down in, say, the fourth episode of the second season.

« Reply #643 on: March 11, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Maybe I'm a bit nuts here, but am I the only one who noticed an ever so slight sexual tension developing between Daryl and Beth?

I'm not even sure how old she is supposed to be in the show, so it feels kinda weird thinking that.

« Reply #644 on: March 12, 2014, 02:13:21 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Maybe I'm a bit nuts here, but am I the only one who noticed an ever so slight sexual tension developing between Daryl and Beth?

I'm not even sure how old she is supposed to be in the show, so it feels kinda weird thinking that.
Yeah, absolutely ... he basically told her that she was the reason that he still had faith in people, right before they were split up. I think she was frorcibly taken, though, cuz no way would she have driven off without Daryl, (and she's definitely old enough and an adult, so I see no reason why something couldn't happen there). I feel the same sort of thing between Michonne and Rick, and that may be even MORE far=fetched.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *