Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 359484 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #615 on: February 23, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Love Abraham. Perfect actor to play him and he acts just like the comics which means he's gonna be one tough dude. Wish they didnt die his hair though. He looked fine without it on the aftershow.

Thinking literally the same about the hair. Distracted me endlessly. It's like a comical clown red in the show.

« Reply #616 on: March 02, 2014, 10:22:43 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Boring episode. Seasons staring to show a lot of filler as the show has started to inch closer to where the comics are out currently. Cant have them running out of source material.

Hopefully Beth dies next ep...#KillBeth2014

(Not a comic spoiler, nobody has any idea when/if Beth dies)

« Reply #617 on: March 02, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Boring episode. Seasons staring to show a lot of filler as the show has started to inch closer to where the comics are out currently. Cant have them running out of source material.

Agreed. Especially when compared, fairly or not, to the amazing True Detective.

« Reply #618 on: March 02, 2014, 11:19:22 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Hopefully Beth dies next ep...#KillBeth2014

(Not a comic spoiler, nobody has any idea when/if Beth dies)

My first impression of The Walking Dead was that it was a soap opera that happened to have zombies in it.  Tonight's episode seemed like business as usual.

« Reply #619 on: March 03, 2014, 12:27:53 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
it's about time this show got back to character development and not stupid mindless conflict with a watered down guvna. the tv adaption doesnt deserve the actual spelling. AMC is a channel about characters so if you watch this show for the zombie killing and that alone i dont blame you for not liking it. i keep hearing the word filler but i dont think the people who throw this term around truly understand the point of this franchise. if you don't get it then im not going to waste my time. this franchise has never been about the zombies. if beth dies this season i will be disappointed in the writing staff. they tend to give a lot of screen time to the characters who are about to be offed and it was pretty predictable with herschel. i'll be annoyed since this is the first episode where you actually feel anything for beth and for her to die in the next 3 episodes is just kind of cheap. firing glen mazzarra was the best thing this show could of done and scott gimple is doing a fantastic job. i'll never forget when glen mozzarella(mazzarra) said on the talking dead that in season 3 there was going to be a whole episode of a cat and mouse chase with the guv/andrea ::). glen, like many of this shows viewers, did not understand this franchise. this episode had great moments. daryl's bolt being broken/split symbolizing him being broken at that moment was great. cinema is supposed to be an art form and its about time this show picks up the ball again. i guarantee season 5 will be the best season in the series. the new show runner had to clean up the mess glen mozzarella left behind and will only improve as he builds upon his own work. 
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #620 on: March 03, 2014, 01:01:19 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Yawn...

glad to know that these people have hidden pain and stuff

The finger on tv?

anyway back to the action
next week looks good!

« Reply #621 on: March 03, 2014, 03:11:41 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
The best part of tonight's walking dead experience was JB Smoove on talking dead. He should be in the actual show. It'd be a much different (better) show. He should've hosted the oscars.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #622 on: March 03, 2014, 06:55:45 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Show was a bit boring last night

I look for Beth to get munched ...  Usually happens when a character appears on Talking Dead , within three shows.

Not digging her character at all...expendable with all new females added

« Reply #623 on: March 03, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
it's about time this show got back to character development and not stupid mindless conflict with a watered down guvna. the tv adaption doesnt deserve the actual spelling. AMC is a channel about characters so if you watch this show for the zombie killing and that alone i dont blame you for not liking it. i keep hearing the word filler but i dont think the people who throw this term around truly understand the point of this franchise. if you don't get it then im not going to waste my time. this franchise has never been about the zombies. if beth dies this season i will be disappointed in the writing staff. they tend to give a lot of screen time to the characters who are about to be offed and it was pretty predictable with herschel. i'll be annoyed since this is the first episode where you actually feel anything for beth and for her to die in the next 3 episodes is just kind of cheap. firing glen mazzarra was the best thing this show could of done and scott gimple is doing a fantastic job. i'll never forget when glen mozzarella(mazzarra) said on the talking dead that in season 3 there was going to be a whole episode of a cat and mouse chase with the guv/andrea ::). glen, like many of this shows viewers, did not understand this franchise. this episode had great moments. daryl's bolt being broken/split symbolizing him being broken at that moment was great. cinema is supposed to be an art form and its about time this show picks up the ball again. i guarantee season 5 will be the best season in the series. the new show runner had to clean up the mess glen mozzarella left behind and will only improve as he builds upon his own work.
I'm with you in the sense that the series strongpoint is the humans and the 'human condition' as it were.  Seeing what the living have to contend with to stay living and living together is the strength of the series. 
The zombies are really the backstory that provide the conditions/environment that drives the survivors to be who they are. 

last night was definitely a slow episode but getting an idea of what makes Daryl tick (which tbh wasn't much of a surprise) was good to see.  Hoping they can make something more out of Beth without having to kill her off.  a tad whiny for my liking but I can see how that would get to someone after a while.

« Reply #624 on: March 03, 2014, 10:32:49 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

Have you read the comic books? In the context of the comic books and even the show tonights episode other than character development could be considered filer. If you took  tonights episode out of the show would it change anything? The underlying plot isn't going to progress until everyone gets back together. Like I said this season has had some filler both good and bad. The prolonged sickness at the prison never happened in the comics but that was good filler as it was exciting. Tonights ep was just emotional bonding, (I guess??) between Beth and Daryl.

Beth is a good girl and Daryl has had a rough life, we didn't know that before this episode? Also while I agree that the show isn't solely about the zombies you have to remember that it is literally called "The Walking Dead".

« Reply #625 on: March 03, 2014, 10:35:50 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
Yawn...

glad to know that these people have hidden pain and stuff

The finger on tv?

anyway back to the action
next week looks good!

Yeah next week might have a character death maybe Beth or that guy Bob. Seriously what are they doing with Bob? They introduced him and never really did anything with his character except saying he was an alcoholic.

« Reply #626 on: March 03, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Have you read the comic books? In the context of the comic books and even the show tonights episode other than character development could be considered filer. If you took  tonights episode out of the show would it change anything? The underlying plot isn't going to progress until everyone gets back together. Like I said this season has had some filler both good and bad. The prolonged sickness at the prison never happened in the comics but that was good filler as it was exciting. Tonights ep was just emotional bonding, (I guess??) between Beth and Daryl.

Beth is a good girl and Daryl has had a rough life, we didn't know that before this episode? Also while I agree that the show isn't solely about the zombies you have to remember that it is literally called "The Walking Dead".

If you've read the comics, don't they make it very clear that "The Walking Dead" are not the zombies?

I have mixed feelings about the episode - it didn't really progress the plot, but there really isn't any overarching plot, and probably never will be.  I expect the rest of the series to follow the same formula it has so far - find a sanctuary, sanctuary gets corrupted and overrun via human evil, flee til finding next sanctuary, repeat.  With people dying here and there along the way.  Problem was I didn't find this character development all that interesting.

I really like that the show is providing "setpieces" like the country club where we see the aftermath of how things went down and have to piece together the events ourselves.  Reminds me of the Fallout games.  Hope we see more of that, it's interesting to see how different slices of society resisted the apocalypse and ultimately fell apart.

« Reply #627 on: March 03, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Stuff & Things

have you read the comics? there is a pannel with rick saying "we are the walking dead !" i've read every comic to date and there are many issues that deal solely with how the characters are feeling. once again i ask you to define filler and to define the plot to this show? this show is about how people handle traumatic experiences. some people deteriorate and some people just survive. tonights episode was trying to make daryl interesting again. glenn mozzarella made daryl into a one dimensional indestructible zombie killer which is just stupid. this episode was about adding depth to both beth and daryl. both were very one dimensional characters in previous seasons. ask yourself what made daryl interesting in the first two seasons and then the 3rd season just ruined him. he began to feel valued with the group because they made him an important member. daryl never had that in his life and after losing it all and feeling responsible for the collapse of the prison results in this depressed slow moving daryl who just doesn't care. i feel bad for kirkman and gimple. people complain about the lack of set pieces, character development, and the balance of action. you got all three last night. if you want constant bashing of skulls and fire fights go watch some zombie movies. this is a show about people living just to die, THE WALKING DEAD, being thrown into various circumstances and we see how they deal with it. so how can there ever really be a filler episode? also think of all the BAMF characters in the walking dead- rick, tyreese, abe, even the guvna if you read the extra material on him all had depth and werent just tough guys bashing skulls. gimple is trying to make characters again that you can feel for.

this season has been a lot better than last season and i wish we could go back and have gimple have the prison arc to work with. that was my favorite part of this franchise and mozzarella blew threw it and ruined the pacing of this show.

« Reply #628 on: March 03, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Stuff & Things
i really hope bob and tyreese get bigger roles going forward. big fan of the actors portraying them and tyreese was my favorite character in the books. i hope the writers didn't kill off anyone for the rest of the season. people are expecting someone to die but i would love to see continual growth of the characters we have currently. with that said i think having sasha die (even though shes gorgeous) wouldn't be bad and would add to tyreese. there are a lot of characters right now so developing them all efficiently will be tough. Rick, Carl, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Beth, Bob, Tyreese, Sasha, Tara, Abe, Eugene, Rosita, Carol, The creepy little girls.

i bolded the people who absolutely wont die by season end. italicized the ones i want to see developed more. everyone else is in my opinion is taking up screen time

« Reply #629 on: March 03, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell

have you read the comics? there is a pannel with rick saying "we are the walking dead !" i've read every comic to date and there are many issues that deal solely with how the characters are feeling. once again i ask you to define filler and to define the plot to this show? this show is about how people handle traumatic experiences. some people deteriorate and some people just survive. tonights episode was trying to make daryl interesting again. glenn mozzarella made daryl into a one dimensional indestructible zombie killer which is just stupid. this episode was about adding depth to both beth and daryl. both were very one dimensional characters in previous seasons. ask yourself what made daryl interesting in the first two seasons and then the 3rd season just ruined him. he began to feel valued with the group because they made him an important member. daryl never had that in his life and after losing it all and feeling responsible for the collapse of the prison results in this depressed slow moving daryl who just doesn't care. i feel bad for kirkman and gimple. people complain about the lack of set pieces, character development, and the balance of action. you got all three last night. if you want constant bashing of skulls and fire fights go watch some zombie movies. this is a show about people living just to die, THE WALKING DEAD, being thrown into various circumstances and we see how they deal with it. so how can there ever really be a filler episode? also think of all the BAMF characters in the walking dead- rick, tyreese, abe, even the guvna if you read the extra material on him all had depth and werent just tough guys bashing skulls. gimple is trying to make characters again that you can feel for.

this season has been a lot better than last season and i wish we could go back and have gimple have the prison arc to work with. that was my favorite part of this franchise and mozzarella blew threw it and ruined the pacing of this show.

Filler= Material that could be cut and have no effect on the progression of the show. Plot = Governor attacks prison, everyone separated, They meet abraham, eguene, rosita, They go to DC. That is the underlying plot. Im not the only one blasting this episode, a ton of people online are. I'm sorry but I and most people don't watch the walking dead to have Beth nag about wanting to find a drink for 20 minutes. THey could of spliced the whole episode up into like 15-20 minutes and literally nothing would of been lost. Here is a good verbalization of what I'm trying to say. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SJcECB4rQ Seriously read the comments, nearly everyone hates it.

Yes The walking dead refers to the people themselves, but that is more figurative and a play on words. If you went up to 98% of people watching the show they'd all say the walking dead=zombies. And I don't think the third season killed daryl at all...His popularity escalated all throughout season 3 and even this season. And Tyreese is safe? I could see him taking on Dale's role...

Also I'd bet Beth dies in the upcoming episode. If not then definitely this season. #KillBeth2014