Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 359577 times)

Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #585 on: February 02, 2014, 11:27:39 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Disagree with the first statement ... ninety percent of tv today is garbage, and I generally watch sports or movies for that reason. Very few sitcoms are funny or can make a decent joke without it being sexual or rude, and police drama is primarily about desensitizing death, with people standing around making jokes about someone's dead body. It's predictable, low-class and boring, but that's just me. I'd take a show like St. Elsewhere, Brooklyn Bridge, Northern Exposure, Twin Peaks, M.A.S.H., Cheers, China Beach, WKRP In Cincinnati, The Wonder Years, (I could go on-and-on), over the stuff today in a flash. To each his own.

I would agree that most TV is trash (especially on the networks), but the peaks of great TV have never been higher right now.  Over the last 15 years we've series like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Deadwood, etc.  Cable TV has allowed true auteurs to have free reign over very well-produced serialized dramas, which as far as I know has never happened in the history of TV (Twin Peaks would be an exception to the rule).  I love episodic TV as much as the next guy, but you just don't get as connected to the story as you do in a serial.  And the stigma if acting on TV is now gone, so the world's best actors are now showing up in TV.  These are golden times to have DV-R.

« Reply #586 on: February 02, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
Anyone know how long I'll have to wait to see the new episodes of Walking Dead on netflix?  I has no cable right now.

« Reply #587 on: February 03, 2014, 12:04:33 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Anyone know how long I'll have to wait to see the new episodes of Walking Dead on netflix?  I has no cable right now.

Probably a good 6 months.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #588 on: February 03, 2014, 12:21:05 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
Very excited to be out of the governor arc! Anyone read the comics? Mini spoilers, we should be meeting abraham And the hunters soon

« Reply #589 on: February 10, 2014, 12:15:52 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
What yall thinking bout this.....?

« Reply #590 on: February 10, 2014, 12:26:49 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
6 guest set up an account and join the convo

« Reply #591 on: February 10, 2014, 12:38:52 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Im half way thru the new ep
I come back at the end with my
thoughts
*sippin*

« Reply #592 on: February 10, 2014, 12:50:22 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
It wasn't a bad episode but it was definitely a filler episode. Hopefully the pace picks up.

« Reply #593 on: February 10, 2014, 03:45:54 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
The kid had actually become almost bearable to me in the last couple of episodes, now he's just taken on Andrea's "Can she get any more moronic?" mantle, and the thankless little creep needs to go.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #594 on: February 10, 2014, 04:02:30 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
It wasn't a bad episode but it was definitely a filler episode. Hopefully the pace picks up.
Looks like it will pick up a bit, but we've only learned the fate of three so far, so more catch-up filler episodes to come, too. Without spoiler, I liked how this ended, in a different manner than how most episodes do.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #595 on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Looks like it will pick up a bit, but we've only learned the fate of three so far, so more catch-up filler episodes to come, too. Without spoiler, I liked how this ended, in a different manner than how most episodes do.

I think next week will be filler with the other cast, too.   It just makes sense.

« Reply #596 on: February 10, 2014, 07:28:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't mind the slower paced episodes from time to time.  Robert Kirkman (creator of the series) has basically said the Walking Dead is Carl's story (even moreso than Rick's) and I think this episode was an attempt to show the particular struggles of Carl.  He's going through the struggle between boy (chocolate pudding) and man (breaking away from his father) that all teenagers go through, but he's doing it during a time when he's also lost his mother, all of his friends, and his entire way of life.

I dig the concept.  I just don't particularly like the actor portraying Carl, and I don't like how the character has been written to date.  So, when you take a largely unlikeable character, and try to rehabilitate him by building an episode around him, it can make for a rough episode.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #597 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I am just catching the newest episode now. Oh man, Carl is the worst. He really needs to go.

If the series is about to be built around his journey, the writers and directors need to stop creating soap opera stories and acting situations for him. His moments are so cliche.

"Hey dad, remember Shane?" ....gimme a break. Groan....

« Reply #598 on: February 10, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Carl is an annoying brat. Overall, I thought episode was okay. Liked the Michonne flashbacks. Hope they tell us more of her story as the season moves along.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #599 on: February 10, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Carl is an annoying brat. Overall, I thought episode was okay. Liked the Michonne flashbacks. Hope they tell us more of her story as the season moves along.
agreed.

liked the flashback with Michonne.  thought for sure she was going to make the governor one of her walkers.  would have been such poetic justice

Is it wrong I kept hoping that Carl was going to be bitten?   took only a few minutes to make me really hate his character this week.