Author Topic: JD Davison year 2 leap?  (Read 3499 times)

JD Davison year 2 leap?
« on: December 26, 2023, 11:51:54 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
With the C’s playing so well this season I haven’t felt the need to longingly look at our stashed 2nd rounders much this year (Madar, Begarin, Davison, and Walsh).  But I gave a peek at Davison’s stats just now, and was astonished to see he was shooting over 40% from 3 this season on good volume, while averaging almost 23 points a game and nearly 9 assists a contest, with an assist% over 40 and a better than 2:1 assist-turnover ratio.  Has anyone watched much of him this year?  I was really disappointed in how he looked during summer league in every facet of his game — have his shooting and passing both taken a real jump?  Or did he have like two good games to pump up his numbers over a 16-game sample?

I’ve always thought his athleticism provided him a terrific ceiling (especially for a late 2nd rounder) if his shooting and passing could catch up.  Now I’m hopeful that may actually happen.

Re: JD Davison year 2 leap?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 12:18:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2716
I hope he's taken a jump. We are likely going to have to rely on some of those guys as key rotation pieces 2 years from now when cap space issues hit.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 06:43:02 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
I’m still hoping he ll make a nice backup point guard. ….he seems like a good dude.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 09:51:54 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I am extremely concerned about his 6'1" height, just like Payton (also listed at 6'1"), he will never be able to play in the final 2 rounds of the playoffs, opposing teams will just pick on him mercilessly when they have the ball.

I think Brad should spent the time and resources on developing taller players, hoping Payton gets traded no later than next summer.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 10:40:50 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
JD has more length, and leaping ability than PP.  I think a better body comp for JD is Rozier.

Rozier was flawed but he held up well defensively in the playoffs for the Cs.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 10:46:04 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
JD has more length, and leaping ability than PP.  I think a better body comp for JD is Rozier.

Rozier was flawed but he held up well defensively in the playoffs for the Cs.

I think Pritchard is better defensively than Rozier. He's much stronger.
Rozier was better at intercepting passing lanes, but couldn't guard anyone in the post.
I'm impressed with Pritchard, even when he couldn't hit anything he was a positive factor on the floor.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 11:04:53 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
I am extremely concerned about his 6'1" height, just like Payton (also listed at 6'1"), he will never be able to play in the final 2 rounds of the playoffs, opposing teams will just pick on him mercilessly when they have the ball.

I think Brad should spent the time and resources on developing taller players, hoping Payton gets traded no later than next summer.

So what strengths are you willing to give up/weaknesses are you willing to accept for those taller players? A lack of speed/athleticism, lack of shooting, lack of ball skills, lack of feel for the game? Late firsts and second rounders are all going to be very flawed players, if Brad thinks that height is the one they're most likely to overcome/is easiest for the team to hide them I don't have an problem with it.

And it's not like they're IT sized where they will always be smaller than their matchup, there are plenty of teams with backup PGs that are around their height. Plus Davison's 6'6.5" wingspan is probably better than most PGs he'd be up against
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 11:22:57 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
JD's got the length and athleticism. he also has relatively thick thighs, which is a trait that other small guards who were surprisingly good defensively had. physically he has more potential than Pritchard. he just needs continue to develop to the point of consistency. i'm optimistic he's on that path. he's about the age rozier was in his rookie season and terry didn't really break out (despite flashes and rumors and hype) until his third season. if we're going to have expectations for JD, that's probably a reasonable timetable for him to become a regular contributor.

the bad news for him is not a ton of rotation minutes which do help development. but the good news is he has relatively low pressure which also can be beneficial to development.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 02:56:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
The next Jalen Brunson (in our dreams)?

I definitely see NBA athleticism in JD Davison, but not sure his ceiling is going to be anything more than a 2.5 string PG.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 03:03:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877

So what strengths are you willing to give up/weaknesses are you willing to accept for those taller players? A lack of speed/athleticism, lack of shooting, lack of ball skills, lack of feel for the game? Late firsts and second rounders are all going to be very flawed players, if Brad thinks that height is the one they're most likely to overcome/is easiest for the team to hide them I don't have an problem with it.

And it's not like they're IT sized where they will always be smaller than their matchup, there are plenty of teams with backup PGs that are around their height. Plus Davison's 6'6.5" wingspan is probably better than most PGs he'd be up against

I think the size concern is fair.  That is why you see almost all teams play a combo guard vs. a traditional PG.  It will be a long time if ever before Davison is in a position to be on the court for any meaningful minutes for a playoff team.  He is probably destined to be a change of pace bench guy at best, but who knows, he is still very young and definitely a very good athlete.

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2023, 04:21:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Brad did acquire Dalano Banton who is a 6’9” point guard.

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2023, 05:07:35 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18

Disagree on Payton, depending on matchups he should be able to play the final two rounds, Kornet is 7' and teams go at him so I guess he can't play the final two rounds either?

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2023, 11:38:29 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Disagree on Payton, depending on matchups he should be able to play the final two rounds, Kornet is 7' and teams go at him so I guess he can't play the final two rounds either?

Kornet should not play the last two rounds, no. The drop off from PP or Hauser to Kornet is significant and an 8 man playoff rotation should be sufficient. Also, Queta over Kornet is a no brainer.

I see no reason why PP can’t play in the last 2 rounds, he averaged double digits in the playoffs during our finals run IIRC.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 01:42:28 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

Yep Banton is the player that I am particularly intrigued with.  Wish he could get some "development & conditioning" time in Maine.  I feel like he can defend and drive the ball.

Bitter Jim asked what I would sacrifice in a tall 2nd round player, the answer is shooting, particularly 3 pt shooting, because I think that this skill can be taught, practiced, acquired - look at Al Horford.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 01:45:56 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489

Yep Banton is the player that I am particularly intrigued with.  Wish he could get some "development & conditioning" time in Maine.  I feel like he can defend and drive the ball.

Bitter Jim asked what I would sacrifice in a tall 2nd round player, the answer is shooting, particularly 3 pt shooting, because I think that this skill can be taught, practiced, acquired - look at Al Horford.
I could be wrong, but I remember Horford being a pretty good mid range and long range 2pt shooter. He had good touch coming out. Bigs just didn't really shoot threes back then.
#JKJB