Author Topic: What's Brogdon's Problem  (Read 7546 times)

What's Brogdon's Problem
« on: October 03, 2023, 11:40:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Lots of news and rumors now that Brogdon wasn't happy at all even last year. He's a really good player that is on his fourth team now and soon to be fifth.

Has anyone heard any specifics on what this dudes issue is? He won 6th man of the year. Must have an extra sensitive Ego. Oh well so long sucks, we just got a massive upgrade.  Good riddens!

Re: What's Brogdon's Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 12:12:41 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Simple guess is he wanted to start.  He’d been doing it for years and saw himself as a starter.  To his credit he did a great job in his bench role.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 01:02:06 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Pretty weak he couldn't move past the trade rumors and we had to trade him.  It's all good though we got a much better two way player who's actually healthy.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 01:53:42 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384
Brogdon's problem is now someone else's problem  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 02:14:29 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1034
Fairly obvious he didn’t want to come off the bench but he did what was asked of him and excelled (won Sixth Man of the Year).

I loved bringing him in last summer but clearly the fit wasn’t right.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 06:05:47 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
If we're only hearing about it now, then clearly it wasn't a big problem (or, at the very least, he was professional about it). I don't see why we need to dog pile on him about it now
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 06:49:22 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 417
He is gone now & hopefully has a nice career going forward
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 06:53:24 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
If we're only hearing about it now, then clearly it wasn't a big problem (or, at the very least, he was professional about it). I don't see why we need to dog pile on him about it now

.it's Because I'm Bitter about it Jim. Very Bitter.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 07:25:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've read that some of it is due to the "exit interviews" at the end of the season.  Apparently Brogdon (and Gallinari) were told that they were in the Celtics long-term plans.  To then find yourself on the verge of being traded, without warning, probably would make most people angry.

People quote "it's a business", but so are all of the jobs we fans have.  If our bosses outright lied to us, I'm sure we'd be angry.  The problem for Brogdon -- and all players, really -- is there isn't a GM out there who doesn't lie.  Some may communicate better than others, but they're all going to trade a player if there's a deal that improves the team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 07:56:25 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Brogdon witnessed Smart get traded in his place and somehow thinks he never should have been considered in a trade?

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 08:29:57 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 557
I've read that some of it is due to the "exit interviews" at the end of the season.  Apparently Brogdon (and Gallinari) were told that they were in the Celtics long-term plans.  To then find yourself on the verge of being traded, without warning, probably would make most people angry.

People quote "it's a business", but so are all of the jobs we fans have.  If our bosses outright lied to us, I'm sure we'd be angry.  The problem for Brogdon -- and all players, really -- is there isn't a GM out there who doesn't lie.  Some may communicate better than others, but they're all going to trade a player if there's a deal that improves the team.
If a player is told that they are part of the long-term plans but the team is shopping him, that's lying and the player's anger would be justified.  However if a desirable trade becomes available and the player's name gets mentioned, that's not lying.  That's just business and the player's anger is not justified.  And in the end it was Smart who was traded for KP not Brogdon. 

Comparing Brogdon's situation to fans' situations is silly.  I doubt anyone on here is making 20M/year and I expect few if any have guaranteed contracts.  If someone wants to pay me 20M guaranteed, they're free to lie to me every day for the rest of my life.  I'll grin and happily cash their checks.   

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2023, 08:32:53 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 684
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Probably wanted to start then was forced into the 6th man role
Then the trade that did not happen with the Clippers

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2023, 08:36:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If a player is told that they are part of the long-term plans but the team is shopping him, that's lying and the player's anger would be justified.  However if a desirable trade becomes available and the player's name gets mentioned, that's not lying.  That's just business and the player's anger is not justified.  And in the end it was Smart who was traded for KP not Brogdon. 

Comparing Brogdon's situation to fans' situations is silly.  I doubt anyone on here is making 20M/year and I expect few if any have guaranteed contracts.  If someone wants to pay me 20M guaranteed, they're free to lie to me every day for the rest of my life.  I'll grin and happily cash their checks.

I don't buy that second paragraph at all.  Nobody likes being lied to, regardless of income. 

And, I don't think it's our place as fans to determine when anger is justified. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2023, 08:47:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 877
Simple guess is he wanted to start.  He’d been doing it for years and saw himself as a starter.  To his credit he did a great job in his bench role.

Celtics2021's simple guess is probably at least a part of it, but I am not convinced that any this talk that he was unhappy or wanted to be traded is even true.  There was not even a whisper of any issue until the near-trade to LAC.  It would be perfectly normal for any player to have some issue with that being in the news.  It is also perfectly normal for any player to prefer to start than to come off the bench, all else equal, but Brogdon seem perfectly fine with a lesser role on a winning team.  I never got any hint that Brogdon was unhappy with his role on the Celtics, he embraced it and excelled at it.  And if he was unhappy about his role, he certainly didn't let it affect him or the team.

In spite of all the talk about problems, Brogdon was in Boston and ready to start the season.  I have not heard anything from him about him having a problem.  Plenty of speculation from the media, innuendo, but nothing concrete.  And now he really has been traded.  I think the trade was more about how much Stevens wanted Holiday than about wanting to move Brogdon.  I see it as that simple.  They liked Brogdon, they liked Holiday more.  It wasn't about anyone's problems.  I can say that as a fan, I have no problem with Brogdon.  Based on his one season in Boston, I hold him in high regard as a player and a professional.

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2023, 08:52:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Celtics2021's simple guess is probably at least a part of it, but I am not convinced that any this talk that he was unhappy or wanted to be traded is even true.  There was not even a whisper of any issue until the near-trade to LAC.  It would be perfectly normal for any player to have some issue with that being in the news.  It is also perfectly normal for any player to prefer to start than to come off the bench, all else equal, but Brogdon seem perfectly fine with a lesser role on a winning team.  I never got any hint that Brogdon was unhappy with his role on the Celtics, he embraced it and excelled at it.  And if he was unhappy about his role, he certainly didn't let it affect him or the team.

In spite of all the talk about problems, Brogdon was in Boston and ready to start the season.  I have not heard anything from him about him having a problem.  Plenty of speculation from the media, innuendo, but nothing concrete.  And now he really has been traded.  I think the trade was more about how much Stevens wanted Holiday than about wanting to move Brogdon.  I see it as that simple.  They liked Brogdon, they liked Holiday more.  It wasn't about anyone's problems.  I can say that as a fan, I have no problem with Brogdon.  Based on his one season in Boston, I hold him in high regard as a player and a professional.

One quibble:  Brad used the actual word "anger" regarding Brogdon, so I'm assuming there's some truth to it.  Behind the scenes, he wasn't happy.

But all the rest of it, you're right:  every indication was that Brogdon was going to be in training camp and carry himself like a professional, regardless of what feelings he had.  Being angry makes him human.  Showing up, not publicly airing his grievances, etc., makes him somebody who does his job with class.