Author Topic: In Praise of Kyrie Irving  (Read 11361 times)

Re: In Praise of Kyrie Irving
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2018, 02:13:03 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Jackie Mac said Kyrie wasn't a "natural leader", but man, he could have played like Westbrook (no defense, lazy offense) and nobody would have batted an eye because he's a genius on offense (probably not even Stevens).

Yet he chose to rebound and do all the dirty work. Saw him on the floor several times in the game I watched, putting his body on the line.

Kyrie and Marcus Smart make a good tandem as far as leaders go.

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2018, 04:19:57 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
For every "In praise of Kyrie Irving" there's a "criticism of Kyrie" thread. You gotta love this forum.

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2018, 07:09:12 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Since this is "In Praise of Kyrie Irving" thread I would highlight some unexpected team defense stats involving him:

YEAR     BOSTON   DEF.RTG.    RANK         CLEVELAND     DEF.RTG.    RANK       
18/19      Kyrie        102,5        3rd           no Kyrie          114,5        30th
17/18      Kyrie        103,1        1st           no Kyrie          111,0        29th
16/17    no Kyrie       108,0       14th            Kyrie           109.7        21th
15/16    no Kyrie       102,5        4th             Kyrie           103,9        10th

As you can see Bostons defense became elite with him on the squad, while in his absence Clevelands average defense hit the rock bottom.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Keeping it going, in the 9 games since Kyrie sat out against the Pelicans on December 10, he's averaging:

27.3 points, 7.1 assists, 5.8 rebounds, 1.7 steals and shooting .492/.467/.952, taking 4.7 FT's per game.

These are MVP numbers.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2018, 12:48:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Keeping it going, in the 9 games since Kyrie sat out against the Pelicans on December 10, he's averaging:

27.3 points, 7.1 assists, 5.8 rebounds, 1.7 steals and shooting .492/.467/.952, taking 4.7 FT's per game.

These are MVP numbers.

Thank-you. I was planning to do another one soon.

Most importantly, he keeps drawing timely charges and getting key steals.

He's unbelievable. If we get on a winning streak and there continues to be flaws with other top level players (Curry-injuries, Giannis-shooting, Davis-winning, James-narrative), there may start to be justified rumblings for Irving as MVP.

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2018, 01:33:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I've gained a lot of appreciating for Kyrie since he joined the Celts.

I used to detest him, when he was on the Cavs.  A lot of that was personal bias, of course, since I really disliked the Cavs.

I saw him as a guy who was famous because he played with LeBron, because of his array of fancy dribble moves which he used too much instead of playing within the flow his team's offense, and because he hit a historic jumpshot against Golden State in the Finals.

I think he's grown a lot since he joined the C's, though.  He seems well suited to be the face of a franchise and to be the leader on and off the court.  He's playing on a team with a real coaching staff and offensive system, and it's working well for him.

To me he's a top 10 player, neck and neck with Dame Lillard for the best guard in the league behind Curry and Harden.

I'm looking forward to seeing him do his assassin act in the playoffs for the first time wearing a Celts uniform.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:02:50 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Love having him on our team. He gives you an offensive peace of mind.
Against the Grizzlies I was about to turn the TV off when we were down 18 or so, than I realize that Kyrie had such a bad first half, there is no way he is not making up for it in the 2nd!

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2018, 04:22:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I used to detest him, when he was on the Cavs.  A lot of that was personal bias, of course, since I really disliked the Cavs.

I saw him as a guy who was famous because he played with LeBron, had a lot of fancy dribble moves which he used too much instead of playing within the flow his team's offense, and because he hit a historic jumpshot against Golden State in the Finals.

I think he's grown a lot since he joined the C's, though.  He seems well suited to be the face of a franchise and to be the leader on and off the court.  He's playing on a team with a real coaching staff and offensive system, and it's working well for him.

To me he's a top 10 player, neck and neck with Dame Lillard for the best guard in the league behind Curry and Harden.

I'm looking forward to seeing him do his assassin act in the playoffs for the first time wearing a Celts uniform.

TP. I 100% agree with this. I'll also add that he looks so much better on the defensive end. No, he won't completely lockdown other players (though to be fair not many players can), but like Curry he can be disruptive on defense and is showing a lot of hustle (also with rebounding). You didn't see that with him or frankly anyone in CLE.

Kyrie will absolutely help this team with his assasin act, especially in the road playoff games IMO. I know theoretically we want to win all games with the team basketball and ball movement, but you also need a guy who can "take you home" in close games and Kyrie can do that (like Leonard, Lebron, Curry, Durant, etc.)

Baynes is the only player on this team with a ring and I think he could also be a huge asset not just as a rotation big but giving guys advice/veteran experience for the playoffs as this time around we're hopefully healthy.

Rozier was fantastic last April-May but it was evident how phenomenal he was at home but poor on the road (except for just 1 game). Kyrie is consistent almost anywhere (even road).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I saw him as a guy who was famous because he played with LeBron, because of his array of fancy dribble moves which he used too much instead of playing within the flow his team's offense, and because he hit a historic jumpshot against Golden State in the Finals.

Yes to all of this. I really appreciate what good basketball plays he makes, on top of all his wizardry. In our big wins, he has either scored or assisted on almost every bucket - not because he’s hogging the ball, but because he’s making the right pass or shot. And his defensive and rebounding effort have gone up a few notches. If we had similar commitment from all the young players, this would be the team we want it to be.

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »

Offline yaya

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Sorry Guys

Kyrie Irving Out As Celtics Take On D-Rose, T-Wolves

https://sportsblender.net/news/kyrie-irving-out-as-celtics-take-on-d-rose-t-wolves?pid=24002

« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2019, 06:57:42 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Sorry Guys

Kyrie Irving Out As Celtics Take On D-Rose, T-Wolves

https://sportsblender.net/news/kyrie-irving-out-as-celtics-take-on-d-rose-t-wolves?pid=24002

Good. Not for Kyrie or our chance to win, but now other guys have to step up.

It's a shame that Rose is out as well, since it will probably be a too easy victory now. Or am I disrespecting Wiggins and Towns?

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:28 PM »

Offline yaya

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
It is a shame but that's how it goes .I hope he gets better and will in shape to play again soon

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2019, 08:57:43 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Since the last time we checked in, Irving is averaging 26-8-4-2 on 54/43/84 shooting clips with only 3 turnovers a game.

He and Horford punished Demarcus Cousins last night whenever Cousins was in the game. Irving is learning floor manipulation really well. I'd still like to see hard swings from him more often, like opposite corner pass from the wing, but he has been really, really good as a distributor for two months now.

Irving is becoming the best point guard in the NBA before our eyes. Don't miss it.

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Irving is becoming the best point guard in the NBA before our eyes. Don't miss it.

He had a bad end to the game but his level of play overall is exceptional.  If they can just iron out a few issues with the bench, him and Al will have a 2-man game that this team can ride all the way to the Finals.

« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2019, 09:12:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He had a very good game against the Warriors yesterday.  Shame they couldn't close it out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip